The Parachute Regiment regimental march

During my five-years in England in the mid 1960s I was a member of the band of The Parachute Regiment - 10th Battalion (TA). I even did a few jumps and qualified even though that was not obligatory for bandsmen. Now in Brisbane, Australia I play in various brass bands and concert bands. I want to obtain the sheet music for the Parachute Regiment's march but I have had no success. I can't find it listed on the Internet. I wrote to the Parachute Regiment's musical director but received no reply. Can anyone tell me where I can buy this music or download a free copy?

jobriant

... in the mid 1960s I was a member of the band of The Parachute Regiment - 10th Battalion (TA). ... I want to obtain the sheet music for the Parachute Regiment's march ...

It's my understanding that the official march of the British SAS is "Marche de Parachutistes Belges," the "March of the Belgian Parachutists," by Pierre Leemans, written about 1945. Is this the same march you're looking for? (As an American, I don't understand all of how our own military is organized, much less how yours is....)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
www.PacificBrassBand.org

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
It's my understanding that the official march of the British SAS is "Marche de Parachutistes Belges," the "March of the Belgian Parachutists," by Pierre Leemans, written about 1945. Is this the same march you're looking for? (As an American, I don't understand all of how our own military is organized, much less how yours is....)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
www.PacificBrassBand.org
Hi Jo,
The Parachute regiment supply a large percentage of the SAS but they are separate regiments with their own regimental marches. The Para march is "Ride of the Valkyries". Andy Ellis, a fellow former member of the Para bands, has done an arrangement for Brass Band which I have sent to the OP.

jobriant

... The Para march is "Ride of the Valkyries". Andy Ellis, a fellow former member of the Para bands, has done an arrangement for Brass Band which I have sent to the OP.

Thanks for clarifying this for a fellow from across the pond.

I've found this march (played by a Wind Band) on YouTube. The opening strain is very much like the second half of the second strain of "Niebelungenmarch" (1876) by Gottfried Sonntag. I recently did a Brass Band transcription of this march, and The Pacific Brass Band has yet to perform it (though we've read through it a couple of times in rehearsal). If anyone's interested in having PDFs of the score & parts, please ask. Personal email: [jobriant@garlic.com]. The "garlic" part is because I use a local internet service provider, and my home is in Gilroy, California, the "Garlic Capital of the World."

(No copyright issues here -- the original is in the Public Domain, and I own copyright on the Brass Band arrangement so I can give it to anyone I want to.)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
www.PacificBrassBand.org

Andrew Norman

[QUOTEThe "garlic" part is because I use a local internet service provider, and my home is in Gilroy, California, the "Garlic Capital of the World."
[/QUOTE]
I always thought that Newchurch, here on the Isle of Wight was the Garlic Capital of the World....
Garlic Farm

jobriant

My pleasure!
Due to my work, I am often in Santa Clara and must pop down on a rehearsal night to Gilroy ...

I'm afraid you'll have to drive a bit further. We rehearse in Salinas on Mondays from 7:30 - 9:30 PM. Let me know when you'll be in our neck of the woods. We have several players from the San Jose & Santa Clara area, and I'm sure that we can find you a ride to Salinas. Bring your instrument! (Or if it's too large, we may be able to find one for you to use for a night, but give us some advance notice.)

... have been many times but more for the Outlet mall than the Garlic!

The Gilroy Outlets have something on the order of 160 retail stores. You can find almost everything there, but the prices aren't always bargains. During the Christmas season, it's a madhouse, so we locals generally stay away -- or else go there on a weekday evening.

Yes, garlic is plentiful around here. About 90% of the garlic that's processed in the entire world is processed here. Unfortunately, every restaurant in town thinks they have to prove the point, so we get tired of having too much garlic in things. But at least we don't have any issues with vampires.... :)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
www.PacificBrassBand.org

Slider1

I'm afraid you'll have to drive a bit further. We rehearse in Salinas on Mondays from 7:30 - 9:30 PM. Let me know when you'll be in our neck of the woods. We have several players from the San Jose & Santa Clara area, and I'm sure that we can find you a ride to Salinas. Bring your instrument! (Or if it's too large, we may be able to find one for you to use for a night, but give us some advance notice.)

The Gilroy Outlets have something on the order of 160 retail stores. You can find almost everything there, but the prices aren't always bargains. During the Christmas season, it's a madhouse, so we locals generally stay away -- or else go there on a weekday evening.

Yes, garlic is plentiful around here. About 90% of the garlic that's processed in the entire world is processed here. Unfortunately, every restaurant in town thinks they have to prove the point, so we get tired of having too much garlic in things. But at least we don't have any issues with vampires.... :)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
www.PacificBrassBand.org
Yes, they can be a pain in the neck:):):)

I was the one who asked about the regimental march of the British Parachute Regiment. I now have a copy of the sheet music for brass band and I am very grateful to Pauli Walnuts for his help. Our musical director might be persuaded to have the band play it on 11th November. The copy that I received was rather faint so I entered all the parts into Sibelius and produced nice bold pages. If anybody wants a copy I will happily email the Sibelius score or a PDF file.

jobriant

[QUOTEThe "garlic" part is because I use a local internet service provider, and my home is in Gilroy, California, the "Garlic Capital of the World."
I always thought that Newchurch, here on the Isle of Wight was the Garlic Capital of the World....
Garlic Farm[/QUOTE]

Hi, Andrew --

Somehow I missed your comment until now.

I guess I won't try to say anything nasty about those good folks on the Isle of Wight. I'll just let them go on living under the mistaken impression that they are the Garlic Capital.... :)

I do wonder whether their garlic beer is as terrible as our garlic wine and garlic ice cream!

-- Jim O'B.

jobriant

Garlic wine and garlic ice cream should be an oxymoron surely!!

Yes, they should be. The garlic wine is basically cheap white wine with enough liquid garlic extract added that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which regulates alcohol sales in the USA, has declared it "undrinkable." This means that the wineries who produce it can sell it more cheaply, because it's exempt from alcoholic beverage taxes. The "cooking wine" sold in supermarkets here falls into the same category, but it's excess added salt that makes it "undrinkable.")

As for the garlic ice cream, it's simply vanilla soft-serve ice cream with just enough liquid garlic extract added so that you can taste the garlic. When people ask if I've tasted it, I reply that yes, I have -- and that everyone should try it once in their life time, with the operative word being "ONCE." But it's a novelty that people hear about and remember, and they come to Gilroy to try it!

-- Jim O'B.

iangjonesx

Thanks for clarifying this for a fellow from across the pond.

I've found this march (played by a Wind Band) on YouTube. The opening strain is very much like the second half of the second strain of "Niebelungenmarch" (1876) by Gottfried Sonntag. I recently did a Brass Band transcription of this march, and The Pacific Brass Band has yet to perform it (though we've read through it a couple of times in rehearsal). If anyone's interested in having PDFs of the score & parts, please ask. Personal email: [jobriant@garlic.com]. The "garlic" part is because I use a local internet service provider, and my home is in Gilroy, California, the "Garlic Capital of the World."

(No copyright issues here -- the original is in the Public Domain, and I own copyright on the Brass Band arrangement so I can give it to anyone I want to.)

Jim O’Briant
Gilroy, California, USA
www.PacificBrassBand.org

iangjonesx

If anyone has a brass band version of the Parachute Regiments Quick March (Ryde of the Valkyries), I would really appreciate a copy to my email at: iangjonesx@yahoo.com. Many thanks in advance.
Ian Jones (in Perth Western Australia).

I was the one who asked about the regimental march of the British Parachute Regiment. I now have a copy of the sheet music for brass band and I am very grateful to Pauli Walnuts for his help. Our musical director might be persuaded to have the band play it on 11th November. The copy that I received was rather faint so I entered all the parts into Sibelius and produced nice bold pages. If anybody wants a copy I will happily email the Sibelius score or a PDF file.

Hi Raymond,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread! Do you still have access to a brass band version of the Parachute Regiment March? If so, could I possibly have a copy? We have a gig on the 1st July where the guest of honour is a retired officer from the paras so it would be lovely to play it for him.

Thanks in advance!

John