The old Trumpet/Cornet debate.

Roger13

New Member
What about this old 'Trumpet/Cornet' thing? A late friend of mine ( a superb Trumpet Player ) once said: " A Cornet is a musical instrument, whereas a Trumpet is a lump of plumbing used for earning money". I should add that he was an expert player of both.
 

Okiedokie of Oz

Active Member
A fair question. I think it comes down to personal preference, however I do think it important that people know the difference between the two. On which end there was a great article in our ABW almost 12 months back. I will find it and Put up some highlights.

And for the record, I prefer to play trumpet, but I love cornets.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Roger13 said:
What about this old 'Trumpet/Cornet' thing? A late friend of mine ( a superb Trumpet Player ) once said: " A Cornet is a musical instrument, whereas a Trumpet is a lump of plumbing used for earning money". I should add that he was an expert player of both.
I'd hazard a guess that players like Maurice Murphy, Rod Franks, James Watson and Martin Winter might not agree.... or was your friend one of the aforementioned??? (In which case, I'll bow to their infinitely superior judgement and get me coat!) ;-)
 

eckyboy

Member
Used to love playing trumpet when I played in a showband but that was maybe because the music was lighter to play as opposed to the technical music of testpieces etc at brass band--never played in an orchestra as such so dont know if thats heavier but prefer a cornet sound.Only my opinion mind .
 

flugelgal

Active Member
Flugel wins every time :wink:

... but seriously, trumpet is much easier to play and nicer than the cornet for me, but I haven't really played a cornet much before. Maybe I'll fall in love with it soon :?

Kirsty
 
flugelgal said:
Flugel wins every time :wink:

... but seriously, trumpet is much easier to play and nicer than the cornet for me, but I haven't really played a cornet much before. Maybe I'll fall in love with it soon :?

Kirsty
Of course you will. Once played, never left I say. Same as once you play backrow, you never want to lower yourself to frontrow again... :lol:
 

schilke

New Member
cornet/trumpet

A trumpet is used to make money,A cornet Sop, or anyother instrument is used to pay all the money back playing Trumpet :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:
 

iggmeister

Member
Dave Payn said:
Roger13 said:
What about this old 'Trumpet/Cornet' thing? A late friend of mine ( a superb Trumpet Player ) once said: " A Cornet is a musical instrument, whereas a Trumpet is a lump of plumbing used for earning money". I should add that he was an expert player of both.
I'd hazard a guess that players like Maurice Murphy, Rod Franks, James Watson and Martin Winter might not agree.... or was your friend one of the aforementioned??? (In which case, I'll bow to their infinitely superior judgement and get me coat!) ;-)
I think your coat will stay on the hook for the while Dave, (unless I've missed some very important and unfortunate news, whereby I'll go and get my coat :? )

Igg
 

Roger13

New Member
iggmeister said:
Dave Payn said:
Roger13 said:
What about this old 'Trumpet/Cornet' thing? A late friend of mine ( a superb Trumpet Player ) once said: " A Cornet is a musical instrument, whereas a Trumpet is a lump of plumbing used for earning money". I should add that he was an expert player of both.
I'd hazard a guess that players like Maurice Murphy, Rod Franks, James Watson and Martin Winter might not agree.... or was your friend one of the aforementioned??? (In which case, I'll bow to their infinitely superior judgement and get me coat!) ;-)
I think your coat will stay on the hook for the while Dave, (unless I've missed some very important and unfortunate news, whereby I'll go and get my coat :? )

Looks like I may have 'started something' here. So I should point out that when my late friend made the statement, his tongue was firmly in his cheek!

Igg
 

Dave Euph

Member
I think trumpets used in particular contexts can be far more musical than trumpets ... I'm thinking in jazz terms here because I love big bands :lol:
 

brasscrest

Active Member
Okiedokie of Oz said:
Louis Armstrong preferred cornet over trumpet, and he was a jazzzzzz man!
The proper instrument in the proper setting. Armstrong used a trumpet for certain charts and a cornet for others. Most jazz "trumpeters" play flugel also.

That being said, it's not always easy to do both well. I've had discussions about players who don't have the proper attitude to play trumpet well, particularly in orchestral settings. Much like bass trombone, it's possible to be too polite to be a trumpet player. You kind of have to assume that if you're playing, everyone needs to hear you. :D
 

GJG

Well-Known Member
Okiedokie of Oz said:
Louis Armstrong preferred cornet over trumpet, and he was a jazzzzzz man!
Bearing in mind that when Armstrong played cornet it would most likely have been an American style "long-model" cornet rather than an English "short-model" variety .........
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
GJG said:
Okiedokie of Oz said:
Louis Armstrong preferred cornet over trumpet, and he was a jazzzzzz man!
Bearing in mind that when Armstrong played cornet it would most likely have been an American style "long-model" cornet rather than an English "short-model" variety .........
Most of the examples I've come across of Louis Armstrong using the cornet have come from the earlier stage of his career, which I should think predates the "long cornet".

As to comparisons between trumpet and cornet, I reckon they are both first class instruments in the right hands, and sometimes one may be more appropriate, sometimes the other. It is possible to play a cornet in a trumpetting style, and equally the best players can make a trumpet sound at least as flexible as a cornet.

In the wind ensemble, I personally prefer the use of trumpets, because of their ability to cut through the texture so well, although my Dad would go for the cornet, for its ability to blend - you win some, you lose some :!: :wink: :lol:
 

jameshowell

Active Member
I agree... :lol:

For those who say a trumpet can't sound like a cornet, try listening to Nightsongs by James Thompson.

I think that he has as dark and warm a trumpet sound you will ever find (and a sound on which I have based mine, if only I sound half as good as that I'll be happy :D )

I think it is reasonably obvious whether players have been 'brought up' on cornet or trumpet 'sounds'. James Thompson was apparently, and I think it shows.

I was, and I aim for a much darker, warmer sound than most of my friends, with a very different view to the use of vibrato (with some trumpet players thinking it should never be used :shock: , as well as my MD at school! :twisted: )
 
Top