The 'Official' tMP Yorkshire Regional Thread

Chris Sanders

Dave Euph said:
C'mon Chris, you don't have to slam me for everything I say! It was off the top of my head anyway, because we are seeing decent bands getting relegated who in previous years have perhaps managed a good result of 7th of 8th. Not unfair, just slightly suprising sometimes.

Dont slam you for everything you say...

You make yourself look silly when you say 6th...

Mike S

bassinthebathroom said:
The actual rule is that the bands with the two highest points over three years get relegated. As Yorkshire Co-op, Pennine and Lindley have 30 points, and Hade Edge and Skelmanthorpe 29, this means that these 5 bands are the bands with the two highest points over three years. However, I would imagine in this case the discretion of the Area Commitee would be employed, and in the intrest of fairness, they will probably decide that only Yorkshire Co-op, Pennine and Lindley go down. Like I said in my original post, 5 bands are earmarked for relegation on paper, but it is highly improbable that all 5 will go down.

Don't you see that there are THREE bands with the lowest points, not five, which should mean that Yorkshire Co-op, Pennine and Lindley go down. This should help balance the number of bands in the championship anyway as there are too many at the moment - due mainly, as I recall, to the number of times that Imps appealed against relegation and won their appeal.

geordiecolin

Well, thats that done for another year. 8th place was a satisfactory result and consildates us for next year, although top 6 would (obviously) have been nicer. This was never a contest we were gonna win. Well done to Hatfield, Imps, Silkstone and Stannington (who just pipped us to 7th), i had a great day, Newcastle beat Liverpool (c'mon!!) and I got hideously drunk in Barnsley that evening losing a sock, my phone and most of my dignity!!

A successful weekend then!

Heppy

Well Worth It said:

Indeed my good man! To reply to Mike S from earlier in this thread, that Hepworth should be more worried about being relegated from the championship section, it seems that your a million miles off! Nice to see that you've moved on to slagging off Imps now (although they don't deserve it). But i'm sure by the time that the Grand Shield and Masters come round, you'll be back having another pop at us!

COME ON HEPOILE!

what a contest was (the champ section that is) the standerd of playing was amazing dont know how they got co op last (i had skelmansthorp last sorry) grime was s#*t hot!!!! there wont be another band in the land to beat that! saying that i had top 4 in this order, 1st grimethorp 2nd B&R 3rd YBS 4th DYKE. anyone agree? i also had stocksbridge alot higher than 9th.

did anyone listen to the 2nd section? (we won:p :p come on!!!) well them results prove what aload ov bull the results last year was! 3 area wins in 4 years (should be 3 wins and a 2nd in 4 years:mad: )

eckyboy

Well done Grimey, about time and congrats to Alan for best cornet. Glad I'm not up against a section like that, undoubtably the hardest in the land.

Hollso

madandcrazytromboneguy said:
now can some1 answer me how clifton got 4th?, no offense guys and gals but you all seemed to be almost collapsing after your performance and every1 i spoke to on the day didnt rate your performance to be of 4th place standard. o well maybe justaice will be done next year, who knows.

Speaking of justice also; we were there to improve last years result with Vizcaya.
At a competition not a week and a bit after last years area, both ourselves and Huddersfield played the same test piece. We beat them.

becks164

i was very surpirsed when they said clifton was 4th i was there and i must admit it was not the best i had heard!
i heard them last yr but i can say this year was a lot better then last year

Hollso

We all have different opinions. I haven't been able to see what our conductor thought of it. But at the end of the day it's the adjudicators opinion thats the most important.

bassinthebathroom

Mike S said:
Don't you see that there are THREE bands with the lowest points, not five, which should mean that Yorkshire Co-op, Pennine and Lindley go down. This should help balance the number of bands in the championship anyway as there are too many at the moment - due mainly, as I recall, to the number of times that Imps appealed against relegation and won their appeal.

Not quite sure how many times I need to reiterate this but it its the bands (an indeterminate number) with the two highest points. In this case Lindley, Pennine and Yorks Co-op have 30 points (the highest points total) and Hade Edge and Skelmanthorpe have 29 (the 2nd highest points total). Yes I can see that there are 3 bands with the highest marks... I did post the original post with the grading points in it!! You used to be able to download the rules in pdf form from the BFBB website, but this seems to be not possible at the moment. However, I have copied the relevant paragraphs below;

APPENDIX I - GRADING RULES

e) In the First, Second, Third and Fourth sections the bands with the two best aggregate placings over the previous three years will be promoted
In sections where there are ten bands or less on the grading register, only the band or bands with the best aggregate placing will be promoted

f) In the Championship, First, Second and Third sections the bands with the two poorest aggregate placings over the previous three years will be relegated
In sections where there are ten bands or less on the grading register, only the band or bands with the poorest aggregate placing will be relegated

Pythagoras

rickcowens2005 said:
what a contest was (the champ section that is) the standerd of playing was amazing dont know how they got co op last (i had skelmansthorp last sorry) grime was s#*t hot!!!! there wont be another band in the land to beat that! saying that i had top 4 in this order, 1st grimethorp 2nd B&R 3rd YBS 4th DYKE. anyone agree? i also had stocksbridge alot higher than 9th.

did anyone listen to the 2nd section? (we won:p :p come on!!!) well them results prove what aload ov bull the results last year was! 3 area wins in 4 years (should be 3 wins and a 2nd in 4 years:mad: )

Don't want to stir it, but personally thought top 3 in second section last year was about right (though am suprised you were as low as 8th).

geordiecolin

rickcowens2005 said:

To be fair, if you look at the top 3 from last year - YBS Concert, BBS and SY Police, since then - YBS Concert went on to come 2nd at the Nationals and then come a commendable 5th in the 1st Section this year. BBS whilst only managing a 7th at the Nationals went on to win Pontins, incidentally beating SY Police and Hebden Bridge ;) that day, this year managing an 8th in the 1st section, justifying their presence in the section. SY Police themselves came 2nd at Pontins (beating Hebden Bridge).

I think that in hindsight, the top 2 bands from last year certainly went on to justify their placings. (Although, I didn't think we played particularly well last year, I didn't even bother going in for the results!)

Congratulations on your victory at the weekend, I'm quite sure you deserved it, best of luck for the nationals.

Last edited:

wally

hi colin
you forgot that s. yorks police also won wilkinson's last November (beating us into 2nd place...blinkin-flippin...bzzzttdzz$*&*$%$%&^% - we won best basses though!!). Now I dont want to appear negative and bitchy, Hebden Bridge are quite clearly a very good band who are razzing through the ranks and well done to you all - your acheivements speak volumes. However, in refererence to rick cowens comments on Hebden Bridge's 8th place last yr. Expecting a top 3 place was probably unrealistic - sure you'd be mad not to walk on stage aiming for anything less than a win - but in the grand scheme of things, a year or so to find your feet and gather steam is to be expected and to expect much more than that is a bit naive i think. I'll stand corrected when HB win the 1st section next year!!

geordiecolin

I thought Police band did well at St. Helens but wasn't 100% sure of the result, so I followed that old adage of "if in doubt leave it out"!!

alibaba

Quote: (Originally Posted by rickcowens2005)

- - - - - - -

I listened to 2nd Section and thought Hebden deserved victory

I did have West Yorks Police, Frickley South Elmsall and Elland making up the top 4.
Shows what I know!:confused:

Anyone else agree?

Congrats to my mates at Grimey. Told you this was year!!:)

becks164

yeah i listened to the whole of the second sectin and i thought you deserved to win, well done, well done to grimey aswell, that sounded out of this world, that was the first time i had heard the champion section bands and i was amazed by it all

geordiecolin said:
To be fair, if you look at the top 3 from last year - YBS Concert, BBS and SY Police, since then - YBS Concert went on to come 2nd at the Nationals and then come a commendable 5th in the 1st Section this year. BBS whilst only managing a 7th at the Nationals went on to win Pontins, incidentally beating SY Police and Hebden Bridge ;) that day, this year managing an 8th in the 1st section, justifying their presence in the section. SY Police themselves came 2nd at Pontins (beating Hebden Bridge).

I think that in hindsight, the top 2 bands from last year certainly went on to justify their placings. (Although, I didn't think we played particularly well last year, I didn't even bother going in for the results!)

Congratulations on your victory at the weekend, I'm quite sure you deserved it, best of luck for the nationals.

true, apart from the area result last year we havent come lower than 4th in the 2nd section also beating sy police in the last 3 contests, saying that ive herd the top 3 should ov been us 1st, strata 2nd and south yorkshire 3 at the areas, so ive been told (didnt listen to any bands). well 1st section next year! to be truthfull my band would be happy with a top 6 place as there is imp's,YBS concert,pennine brass,lindley,co op all alot beter than us and you but who knows what will happen in ayears time!

JANUARYMAN

brasscrest said:
It's actually a kind of correction - the Yorkshire region has had more than the ideal number of bands in the top section because of ties in the first section bringing up more bands than went down in the past couple of years. The "ideal" number of bands in the top section is supposed to be 12 (not sure why this is the ideal). 14 competing this year.

Throughout this thread and also on 4barsrest, I have noticed several messages regarding the number of Championship bands in Yorkshire. I dont think it is a simple a having an "ideal" number of bands. Yorkshire currently has 6 bands in the top 15 of the World Rankings:

Yorkshire – 6
North West – 3
Scotland – 3
Wales – 2
North of England – 1
London & Southern Counties – 0
Midlands – 0
West of England – 0

Should the Yorkshire Championship section be reduced to 9 by relegating 5 bands, surely this would be crazy? If anything the Yorkshire championship section is small in relation to the national standard of band at the contest. Without the reletively high number of Yorkshire Championship section bands, we would be in a situation where some of the very best bands in the movement would have an even greater risk of relegation to 1st section status, whilst at the same time competing in national 'Major' contests, not to mention how it would effect said bands financially through loss of invitations to play in the various Championship Brass concert series?

What does anybody else think?

Dave (Keep the Yorkshire Championship big campaign!)

johnflugel

I heard the 2nd section and Hebden Bridge stuck out a mile as the top band - very tuneful, balanced and the sop was excellent. Excellent result for Wetherby after a disappointing result last time...well done to them!

Heard about 9 bands in the First Section and was a little disappointed by the majority who were blowing too loud and heavy for a piece like 'Comedy'.

Product tMP members are discussing