The 'Official' tMP Yorkshire Regional Thread

bassinthebathroom

Just back from Bradford. Grimethorpe were exceptional today, and gave a superb performance. I also thought Richard Marshall was one of the finest cornetists I heard through the whole section, and can count himself a little unlucky not to have taken the soloists prize. There were a few moments of uncertainty, and for me, the opening was a little loud, but Richard Evans' interpretation was brilliant!
I don't think you can really argue with the result, except for Sellers who I personally thought should have been a few places higher, but that said I didn't hear Hepworth. B&R and Black Dyke gave good solid performances, but just had a few too many individual errors which detracted. YBS, for me, didn't give a performance which really captured the essence of the music, and their style was often brash and 'in your face'. That said, it was probably the most confident performance in the section, overall, and the opening from the Basses was superb. Bang on with intonation, and the much discussed 'extra octave' didn't get in the way at all. Well done to Gav and his team on that one! Any thoughts anyone else?

critic

yorkshire area

Brilliant Contest In Championship Well Done Grimey And All The Top Six Putbin Top Notch Performances A Credit To Yorkshire As Well As The Movement As A All

JR

bassinthebathroom said:
Just back from Bradford. Grimethorpe were exceptional today, and gave a superb performance. I also thought Richard Marshall was one of the finest cornetists I heard through the whole section, and can count himself a little unlucky not to have taken the soloists prize. There were a few moments of uncertainty, and for me, the opening was a little loud, but Richard Evans' interpretation was brilliant!
I don't think you can really argue with the result, except for Sellers who I personally thought should have been a few places higher, but that said I didn't hear Hepworth. B&R and Black Dyke gave good solid performances, but just had a few too many individual errors which detracted. YBS, for me, didn't give a performance which really captured the essence of the music, and their style was often brash and 'in your face'. That said, it was probably the most confident performance in the section, overall, and the opening from the Basses was superb. Bang on with intonation, and the much discussed 'extra octave' didn't get in the way at all. Well done to Gav and his team on that one! Any thoughts anyone else?

congrats to grimethorpe - I really do believe Richard Marshall (who started at Hatfield and played for me at Rothwell) will eventually be recognised as one of the movement's greatest ever cornet players
Sorry - can't agree re: the pedal notes - not Wagner's intention (or Lorriman's) as i read it - If they are musically valid why don't the sop players take the first note up the octave?
Why do it?
(a) Because they can
(b) Because they think it sounds better
(c) Because the conductor thinks it sounds better
(d) Because no adjudicator has to date, penalised it
(e) Because if blown mezzo-forte allows everyone else to sound quieter and get away with it

john r

john r

breif opinions, lol

it almost the obvious top 6 when u look at it on paper, i think a lot of people will have predicted that top 6 down 2 every band in some cases, maybe not the same order but it ended up being the big 4, followed by the medium 2, followed by every1else didnt it, i knew that this piece the 2 adz. would have been lookin for the bands who would give the big orchestral sounds, so u had the regular 4 candidates for that. grimey who i heard from behind the door coz i played 1 after them sounded pretty tight, together, in time, everythin places where it should b, they deserved it so i wish a massive congratulations to my college course conducting tutor mr richard evans on a brillant performance, getting the best out of the band who previously had 2 5's to their score. i predicted b+r to come 2nd bcoz of them supposidly wanting it more than dyke or ybs coz they had already pre-qual. but even tho they came 4th theyve still gone 2 the finals so well done 2 all 4 really, go kick some other regional backside at the finals!, yorkshire is a force to be reckoned with once more. just a final "note" i know its bad init, anyway, just wanna say a mention for my band lindley, they played a blinder and only a few minor slips with split notes and intonation stopped us from gettin wot could have been an excellent result, in the end we came 10th which i thort was about 1 place 2 harsh, i predicted us 9th overall but hey there ya go, here we come 1st section, b afraid, b VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY afraid!, lmao, sorry, anyway, wot does every1 think about the overall results?, i thort there was really only 1 or 2 iffy results in every section, most werent bad at all this yr, plz let me know your opinions about them on this thread, well done to all who competed this yr, CLIVE (2nd trombone, Lindley band)

ploughboy

Morning all, as the dust settles on another fantastic Yorkshire area weekend! Well Done and good luck to all Yorkshire's Winners (and second places) I have several thought on the playing and the results over the weekend.

I thought every band got to grips with their piece, even the "dreadfully difficult" Tam'o'shanter in the 3rd section. A Great result for Grange Moor, they were exceptional. In my section (4th) Gawthorpe were very very good and won by a clear margin, It was good to see all the new bands competing in our section and all the young players having a go, they were a credit to the movement. With Emley we were pleased with 4th place, we didn't play nearly as well as we can, but 4th place was probably about fair having heard a few other bands. In the 2nd section I listened to every band, I agreed with the results except for Elland finnishing last, interpretation may have come into it but really they were nicely in tune most of the time and had good dynamic variation and played together (there were a couple/3 bands far worse on the basics!!) so i couldn't see how they came last, A bit harsh me thinks! But that's contesting!

So on the whole a great weekend with some good quality outfits going on to Harrogate to represent us! Good luck guys! and well done to eveyone!

Garry

Mike S

Well done at Bradford

Well done the bands at Bradford, especially the top four who were a league apart from the rest in my opinion. Grimethorpe gave the more conventional performance of Rienzi and deservedly took the top place - good to see Kevin Crockford back to his winning ways. Dyke gave a wonderful performance, and YBS were a little contraversial with their performance I thought. B&R were unsurprising, well done to Alan Morrison for picking up the solist prize (though I thought it belonged to Richard Marshall). Sellers were too loud and strident for me, though it was a technically complete performance as you always expect from Philip McCann. Hepworth came through with a good one this time, and Rothwell were disappointingly untuneful at the start, though it got better as it went on and ended well.

DannyCollin

I agree with you Garry, the Yorkshire area must be the best weekends contesting in the country. Great bands, great atmosphere, great competition, friendly banter and beer an all.

In hindsight, I'm pretty pleased with my bands efforts but a little disappointed with the performance as I feel it could have been better but, as you say thats contesting, it was good to see all the new bands performing so well, saying that, only a month ago Dearne Valley wasn't even going to Bradford.

I still say the tempo marking for the 4th movement Scherzo dotted crotchet = 100 is too slow, it doesn't seem to hang right. So I took it at 115 and got pasted for it. I won't do that next year.

Anyway, well done to Derek Hoyle and his band it was well deserved.

Can't wait for the next one. Bring it on.

wally

Hepworth came through with a good one this time,

they did more than come through with a good one they were pretty darn awesome - before i heard briggus and grimey i had them in 2nd place. a classy, inspiring and exciting performance from a band on the up. nice one hepworth

bassinthebathroom

JR said:
congrats to grimethorpe - I really do believe Richard Marshall (who started at Hatfield and played for me at Rothwell) will eventually be recognised as one of the movement's greatest ever cornet players
Sorry - can't agree re: the pedal notes - not Wagner's intention (or Lorriman's) as i read it - If they are musically valid why don't the sop players take the first note up the octave?
Why do it?
(a) Because they can
(b) Because they think it sounds better
(c) Because the conductor thinks it sounds better
(d) Because no adjudicator has to date, penalised it
(e) Because if blown mezzo-forte allows everyone else to sound quieter and get away with it

john r

john r

I wasn't saying I agreed, on the contrary, we agreed 100% from the start that we wouldn't drop the opening when we were working on it. All I was saying was the bands who did it e.g. Grimethorpe, Dyke and YBS (B&R? I can't remember - Sellers didn't I don't think, Hepworth I didn't hear) seemed to get away with it. OK, it is a bit of musical recomposition and I totally disagree with it on principle, but on certain bands it did sound really good. Sellers on the other hand played no pedals (as far as I remember) and the tuning was superb.
There were other passages where we ceratinly felt, playing it, (not sure about others) that the extra octave was required to add some depth where the arrangement felt a little thin, and there were even some octaves omitted (both ways) in the arrangement! However all of your five points, John, are true in a way I guess!
However marking a band down who gave a performance like Grimethorpe's purely because they dropped an Octave in the BBb Bass for 12 odd bars is criminal. Sure, mention it the dispatches, and maybe even if it's a close call, placings wise, drop them below a band who didn't! It is MD's preference at the end of the day. The same can certainly be said about the ridiculous debacle over the turns!

Feefee

I went to the areas last nite and thought it was fantastic!
I thought thoguth that Sellers definatly should have come at least 3rd! They were fantastic and DIDN'T play too loud!
Also i thought Lindley played fantastic too and thoguth they deserved a higher place!
Well done once again to Sellers!

ploughboy

Danny,
I was a little quick through the 4th movement too!! After John Maines said on stage they weren't metronome watchers i was suprised to see he'd put a metronome mark for us saying it was too fast!! (=117) ah well, live and learn.

Also our Flugel broke on stage (1st valve got twisted and wouldn't line back up!!) so between movements i had to ask the 3rd man to lean over and stick the Flugel solo in (3rd mov.) he did brilliantly but I was meag suprised to see "good flugel sound" and "good flugel solo" on the remarks!! That's what you get for putting Trombonists not Musicains in the box ;) (come bring on the ubuse)

becks164

i would just like to say WOW how good was last nights performances, i thought Black Dyke, grimethorpe, sellers and lindley played fantastic, i hope all you sellers players heard your fan club shouting!!! well done to everyone in that section it was fantastic just hope the north west ones will be as good as that

2nd man down

Staff member
Well done to all the bands who took part yesterday, as said before, especially the newly competing bands...they're so important to the future of this movement, it was good to see 13 bands competing at 4th section level and long may that continue.

We're happy with 4th place although we have played it so much better than we did...c'est la vie...I believe the best band one on the day, well done to Gawthorpe.
I really felt for our flugel player bless her...her (supposedly newly repaired :mad: ) instruments 1st valve failed on stage and our third man down had to slide across and play her solo in the third movement with only a split seconds notice...and thankfully he played it brilliantly (despite never having played it before) and even got good remarks on the adjudicators comments!! Well done Nicky and Russ for taking care of a potential disaster so professionally!!

And a special warm well done to Dearne Valley for competing, I gather it was a fairly last minute decision to take part...and your solo Euph (I think it was your solo euph) felt up my leg on stage waiting for the results!! ;)
You don't get friendliness like that in any other region...Go on Yorkshire...'Ave it!! :tongue:

Blackleygirl

It was my first time at Yorkshire and I really enjoyed it, the venue was great and lovely room to listen to the bands (no idea what it was like to play in). I went supporting Meltham in the 2nd Section, who I thought put in a great performance but Hebden Bridge were worthy winners, from what I heard a blinding performance and I think they are a great, friendly band.

Spooky but true fact - Meltham got drawn 1st band on for the 5th year running and it was the second time they were the last ball left in the bag!!

IJK

Can I just say I went and listened to some of the fourth section yesterday and I was very suprised at the poor standard of playing!! and the poor reading of the score by conductors?

I know the fourth section is the beginning for lots of players and it was great to see how many young people were playing and it was good to see so many new bands in the fourth section. It can only make the contest more interesting!

I must say Gawthrope were the best band on the day and wish them all the best.

And well done to Dodworth here is a band that in 6 months has really come on so much. And if they keep moving forward like they have been doing then I think next year will be a good year for them.

But I must say come on conductors look at the score and teach your band the basics it will help so much!!!

The Cornet King

Another fantastic weekend!
Listened to all the 4th section, did an adjudication and overall agreed with the adjudicators. The standard i didnt think was that poor. However, no band actually 'played' Divertimento, overall there were far too many splits and cracks, but onthe whole it was reasonable. Gawthorpe, and Dodworth for me were the 2 really 'musical' performances, with by far the best middle movements, that really did it for me.

Championship section was great. Grimey were just awesome, a truly huge band sound. The big 4 really stood out (though interesting interpretation by David King). Hepworth a well deserved 5th, thought they could actually have got higher, I thought YBS and B&R may have lost points by pulling it about a bit. All very different and truly class readings and performances though.

Well done to all the Yorkshire qualifiers, kick some butt at the nationals...

'AVE IT!

DannyCollin

IJK said:
I know the fourth section is the beginning for lots of players

Its also the beginning for a lot of conductors.

Give me a BBb Bass and i find it easy.

But grab a stick and the whole experience is totally different. You should try it sometime.

Hmmm, people in glass houses eh........i'm going to the midlands area next week, i'll make it a point to come and hear Ireland Colliery Band. Enjoy :)

Watch this space.

IYOUNG

DannyCollin said:
Its also the beginning for a lot of conductors.

Give me a BBb Bass and i find it easy.

But grab a stick and the whole experiece is totally different. You should try it sometime.

Well said that man - easy to comment until you do it

Ian

timbloke

bassinthebathroom said:
Average results for this section for 2003 was 5.5, from 10 bands competing, though the programme shows 6 for 2004, when only 10 competed.
This means;
Stannington 22 (7+8+7)

All I know is that we're staying up!!

I think the biggest well dones are to Toby at Dinnington, yet another good result, and Elliot at Dodworth not a bad start eh?

Product tMP members are discussing