The 'Official' tMP Yorkshire Regional Thread

bassinthebathroom

Mike S said:
Let's just leave it like this - there has never been an instance where five bands have been relegated from any section in any area. I will predict that the three bands with the highest points total will get relegated.

I agree with you Mike. I had already heard from friends who play in bands in the area, and they had said the same, and even that they had already been told the same by the area commitee. I was just pointing out the rules, as so many people misinterpet them, thinking only 2 bands ever go down.

Statto

I am hoping that some of you can shed light on the current whereabouts, status, name, etc of the following Yorkshire Area bands. All were missing from this year's Area but have competed in recent years.

Haworth
Horbury Victoria
Polypipe Rossington
Tingley Thornhill
Yorkshire Traction & Honley

All information gratefully received. Thank you.

Statto said:
I am hoping that some of you can shed light on the current whereabouts, status, name, etc of the following Yorkshire Area bands. All were missing from this year's Area but have competed in recent years.

Haworth
Horbury Victoria
Polypipe Rossington
Tingley Thornhill
Yorkshire Traction & Honley

All information gratefully received. Thank you.

ive helped out Haworth band afew times and there starting to get back on there feet again. shud be at next years area. dont know about the rest

barrytone

Disappearing Bands

There are several band in the Yorkshire Area that have "disappeared" in the last couple of years. Tingley Thornhill did have a ten-piece for a while after the full band finished, not sure if they still have. They certainly had a youth band as well, again not sure if this is still going.

Yorkshire Traction Honley is still going strong so I've heard from several banding friends. No idea if they've any plans to start contesting again, but I do know they have many younger players in the band.

Yorkshire Evening Post Band still have a ten piece I believe. They ceased contesting several years ago and didn't appear in the Yorkshire Regional Section Tables in the programme this year.

Sharlston Colliery Band, or West Yorkshire Motors Sharlston Band, is another band that doesn't exist anymore, as far as I know. They too had a youth band for a time, again not sure if this still exists.

It's somewhat distressing the number of bands that have "disappeared" but very heartening that there were so many "new" bands contesting at the regionals in Yorkshire this year.

Any one any idea what the situation is with Horbury Victoria? They didn't compete this year and I don't think they were there last year either, but I wait to be corrected.

[HVB]Jamie

yeh i play for Horbury Victoria Youth (4th solo cornet :D) and Senior (3rd cornet :() band :) dunno if thts offical names but what the hell :p i dont fink our Senior band is gonna do contetss 4 a bit - we're a bit low on players atm :p but our youth band is in 2 contests in April :) we're alive and kiking!!! w00t 4 horbury band :)

Straightmute

barrytone said:
Yorkshire Evening Post Band still have a ten piece I believe. They ceased contesting several years ago and didn't appear in the Yorkshire Regional Section Tables in the programme this year.

Sharlston Colliery Band, or West Yorkshire Motors Sharlston Band, is another band that doesn't exist anymore, as far as I know. They too had a youth band for a time, again not sure if this still exists.

These two bands merged and competed in the area contest a few years ago (2002?)under the baton of Ian Ratcliffe but the marriage did not prove successful and the new band folded, leaving a ten-piece which I believe still performs regularly. A shame, since both had long and distinguished histories.

D

ploughboy

Tingley youth band is still going, they were contesting in a youth section last year. Good luck to any band that are carrying regarless of numbers or lack there of they are what keep our movement alive.

another band that hasnt competed for a few years is todmorden old.

there was plenty happening with that band and after they folded the todmorden community band was formed but they wont contest i dont think unless the conductor has had any thoughts about it recently, i believe many of the tod old players moved on to other bands and dobcross inherited a fair few, includin their conductor aswell.

on that subject i wish dobcross all the best for the future, i had the pleasure of helping them out in a concert about a year ago and really enjoyed it and i also know their solo trom player (danny brooks) from him briefly doing the course im doing right now(ba hons. degree in band studies), hope your all ok and best of luck for your future concerts and contests.

hope this is useful info for anyone whos updatin their notes on bands who have folded or quit contestin within the last few years locally. :)

barrytone

What happened to Todmorden Old Band? I remember they moved from Todmorden Village before they folded but not sure why. Why are Todmorden Old and Dobcross linked as implied by madandcrazytromboneguy? I know the conductor at Dobcross used to conduct Todmorden Old and maybe a few of Todmorden's players went to Dobcross, but it ends there, doesn't it?

Can you clarify what you mean madandcrazytromboneguy? Todmorden Community Brass are a great bunch of people, all credit to them for keeping a band in Todmorden, but as far as I know, they're not linked to Todmorden Old Band either.

Didn't Todmorden Old Band just "disappear" like some of the bands mentioned previously on this thread and where did they go when they left the village? Does anyone know the fate of this once very succesful, long established band?

Chris Sanders

barrytone said:
What happened to Todmorden Old Band? I remember they moved from Todmorden Village before they folded but not sure why. Why are Todmorden Old and Dobcross linked as implied by madandcrazytromboneguy? I know the conductor at Dobcross used to conduct Todmorden Old and maybe a few of Todmorden's players went to Dobcross, but it ends there, doesn't it?

Can you clarify what you mean madandcrazytromboneguy? Todmorden Community Brass are a great bunch of people, all credit to them for keeping a band in Todmorden, but as far as I know, they're not linked to Todmorden Old Band either.

Didn't Todmorden Old Band just "disappear" like some of the bands mentioned previously on this thread and where did they go when they left the village? Does anyone know the fate of this once very succesful, long established band?

Todmorden Old folded due to politics a few years ago, Dobx were really struggling at the time, a hell of a lot of the players then moved from Toddy to Dobx, lucky they did actually, secured the bands place in the top section...

Owen

Regarding Rossington, I think that they merged with Rothwell, not the present Rothwell Temperance, but the band which went under the name of Wallace Arnold for a while (there used to be two Rothwell bands, confusingly I think the other band which no longer exists was also called Rothwell Temperance for a period). I think that the merged Rossington/Rothwell outfit eventually merged with Imps (I may be wrong on that last point, please feel free to correct me). The idea was, to the best of my recollection, to set up an umbrella organisation under which the bands would operate, borrowing players from each other to fulfill engagements etc. I don't think it lasted very long to be honest....

Does anyone else have any recollection of all this? John Roberts will probably know for certain, but as he is presently in New Zealand with United Co-op Yorkshire, we can't ask him!

tsawyer

Owen said:
Regarding Rossington, I think that they merged with Rothwell, not the present Rothwell Temperance, but the band which went under the name of Wallace Arnold for a while (there used to be two Rothwell bands, confusingly I think the other band which no longer exists was also called Rothwell Temperance for a period). I think that the merged Rossington/Rothwell outfit eventually merged with Imps (I may be wrong on that last point, please feel free to correct me). The idea was, to the best of my recollection, to set up an umbrella organisation under which the bands would operate, borrowing players from each other to fulfill engagements etc. I don't think it lasted very long to be honest....

Does anyone else have any recollection of all this? John Roberts will probably know for certain, but as he is presently in New Zealand with United Co-op Yorkshire, we can't ask him!

I was at Wallace Arnold (Rothwell) from 1987 to 1994ish, and I don't remember any merger. John Roberts left Wallace Arnold in 1993ish. I now play with Rothwell Temperance.

The present Rothwell Temperance was originally the Junior Band and then B band of the senior band (the Wallace Arnold). They progressed up the sections and eventually dropped the B, forcing the Wallace Arnold band to become The Rothwell Band (Leeds) when they lost their sponsorship. This band later merged with the Imps. There is no band in Rothwell that no longer exists, other than the Rothwell Old Band, which disappeared before I was born.

I'm currently writing a book about the rise of the Rothwell Temperance Junior Band to the championship section.

Tim.

tod old and tod com have nowt to do with each other, they are 2 totally seperate organizations, hope that clears that up anyway :)

if i am wrong about this then someone please correct me, cheers :D

Charmed

Old Thread Info! Disappearing Bands

Just reading an old thread from March re disappearing bands. It ended under some confusion about where Rossington Band ended.

I can tell you that when Rossington lost their sponsorhip from Polypipe a lot of the players went to join other bands. Rossington still has a ten(?) piece today. A couple of our registered players still go through to their rehearsal, although I do believe the ten players have dwindled and there is a question about whether they will start up again after having a few months break.

It makes you wonder whether gaining sponsorship will help bands long term or not. Doesn't it?

ex band-muppet

do sponsorships help bands?

Sponsorships didn't help Wingates Temperance much. They went straight from Temperance Band to a brewery sponsorship(!) to British Aerospace and ended up with less than 10 players in only a few years. Between Dick Evans and John Hudson they were hopeless. Once the Aerospace sponsorship ended and they got poor again they soon began to recover though.

sponsorships great when youve got their money but then when you dont have their money you end up being more bankrupt or more in debt than you were before gettin it, or that seems to be the case in a lot of current situations

ex band-muppet

The Fate Of Todmorden Old

I left Tod. Old just before they ostensibly moved to Wardle at the behest of their MD to escape the 'strictures' of the Yorks. and H'side B.B.Association. He was standing in at Wardle when he mooted the idea so it would have been an effective merger, and asset strip. This was roughly a year after they won Crystal Palace with Vizcaya to finally escape the 4th. sec. after having been consistent NW Area local top section winners for over two years.
I was gone by the time they actually moved so the rest I'm not sure about. There was a lot more than just politics in that band though I can tell you that. It was a war zone, at least in the years leading up to the move.

ex band-muppet

Ref. 2 Tod bands and any connections: the only ones I know of are Wellington Rd. bandroom, a few old timers fired in the early days of the baleful Hadfield era, and Terry Luddington, the gaffer. Tod. Old appear to have made off with all the equipment and best players to merge with Wardle sometime in the late 90s.
I understand that Tod. Comm. now have the Tod. banding assets restored to them. Full details are available on the Tod News website.

Product tMP members are discussing