The 'Official' tMP Yorkshire Regional Thread

Heppy

JANUARYMAN said:
Throughout this thread and also on 4barsrest, I have noticed several messages regarding the number of Championship bands in Yorkshire. I dont think it is a simple a having an "ideal" number of bands. Yorkshire currently has 6 bands in the top 15 of the World Rankings:

Yorkshire – 6
North West – 3
Scotland – 3
Wales – 2
North of England – 1
London & Southern Counties – 0
Midlands – 0
West of England – 0

Should the Yorkshire Championship section be reduced to 9 by relegating 5 bands, surely this would be crazy? If anything the Yorkshire championship section is small in relation to the national standard of band at the contest. Without the reletively high number of Yorkshire Championship section bands, we would be in a situation where some of the very best bands in the movement would have an even greater risk of relegation to 1st section status, whilst at the same time competing in national 'Major' contests, not to mention how it would effect said bands financially through loss of invitations to play in the various Championship Brass concert series?

What does anybody else think?

Dave (Keep the Yorkshire Championship big campaign!)

A bit too much research gone into that one David! You actually went on '4bars' and retrieved all this rankings rubbish (no doubt when you were being paid vast amounts of money to actually work).

No, sorry mate. This is bordering on pure BOC and i'm not happy about it. Can feel a reeming coming on at the band dinner. Nick has been informed.

Smed
Secretary to Mr. Hakan Horanberger

paddo

johnflugel said:
I heard the 2nd section and Hebden Bridge stuck out a mile as the top band - very tuneful, balanced and the sop was excellent. Excellent result for Wetherby after a disappointing result last time...well done to them!

Heard about 9 bands in the First Section and was a little disappointed by the majority who were blowing too loud and heavy for a piece like 'Comedy'.

just one question John! did you hear us Knottingley played 4th and where slated for overblowing and playing it too slow? Marsden where alot slower?

cheers fella, just playing on my mind that's all. This was probably the quietest the band has played.

Montage next!

Griffin

paddo said:
just one question John! did you hear us Knottingley played 4th and where slated for overblowing and playing it too slow? Marsden where alot slower?

cheers fella, just playing on my mind that's all. This was probably the quietest the band has played.

Montage next!
We also got a telling off for been too slow at the Tranquillo bit, opening too loud too...
could of come 5th if it wasn't for that ;-)
Our MD takes full responsibilty!

critic

The Yorkshire Area At Championship Level Is The Strongest In All The Regions And The Top Six Were Outstanding.its All About Consistency And
When Bands Like Hepworth Have There 3rd Top Six Finish In Seven Years
Alongside Some Top Class Opposition It Shows What A Great Top Section It Is. Iam Sure We Will Hear Some Top Performances At The North West This Weekend As Well Not Forgetting The Other Regions Who All Have Good Bands.

police bands

what has everyone thought of the 2 yorks. police bands in the last few yrs?, i think the adjudicators have got the 2 the wrong way around on a number of occasions, this yr included, i thought west were good and south were very good this yr but west were placed above south. a couple of yrs ago the mistake happened again but this time west were better than south and yet south were placed well higher than west.

does any1 agree with me on this or does any1 have any comments at all on this subject?

your opinions on this would be very interestin, cheers :)

critic

Having read 4 barsrest comments on the yorkshire area they as usuall come straight to the point the championship section is ecxellent there observations on the 2nd sectoin are interesting though no doubt some will have strong vievs on this.

Well Worth It

Jan-man! It's quite obvious that you buy for a living and don't have to sell anything.
What a catchy campaign title.
You might just as well have called it the
"Let's Keep Exactly The Same Number Of Bands In The Top Section Of The Yorkshire Regional Contest" Campaign.

Stick to landscape (uphill) gardening mate!

Mike S

bassinthebathroom said:
Not quite sure how many times I need to reiterate this but it its the bands (an indeterminate number) with the two highest points. In this case Lindley, Pennine and Yorks Co-op have 30 points (the highest points total) and Hade Edge and Skelmanthorpe have 29 (the 2nd highest points total). Yes I can see that there are 3 bands with the highest marks... I did post the original post with the grading points in it!! You used to be able to download the rules in pdf form from the BFBB website, but this seems to be not possible at the moment. However, I have copied the relevant paragraphs below;

APPENDIX I - GRADING RULES

e) In the First, Second, Third and Fourth sections the bands with the two best aggregate placings over the previous three years will be promoted
In sections where there are ten bands or less on the grading register, only the band or bands with the best aggregate placing will be promoted

f) In the Championship, First, Second and Third sections the bands with the two poorest aggregate placings over the previous three years will be relegated
In sections where there are ten bands or less on the grading register, only the band or bands with the poorest aggregate placing will be relegated

The bands with the two poorest aggregate placings, not points, go down - there are three bands all placed last

Pythagoras

madandcrazytromboneguy said:
what has everyone thought of the 2 yorks. police bands in the last few yrs?, i think the adjudicators have got the 2 the wrong way around on a number of occasions, this yr included, i thought west were good and south were very good this yr but west were placed above south. a couple of yrs ago the mistake happened again but this time west were better than south and yet south were placed well higher than west.

does any1 agree with me on this or does any1 have any comments at all on this subject?

your opinions on this would be very interestin, cheers :)

Think South got hammered for being too loud this time.

Mike S

Heppy said:
Indeed my good man! To reply to Mike S from earlier in this thread, that Hepworth should be more worried about being relegated from the championship section, it seems that your a million miles off! Nice to see that you've moved on to slagging off Imps now (although they don't deserve it). But i'm sure by the time that the Grand Shield and Masters come round, you'll be back having another pop at us!

COME ON HEPOILE!

Sorry, mate, just speaking my mind not intending to slag any band off. Hepworth were indeed in danger of being relegated and came up with the goods last weekend to stave off that threat. I am not slagging off Imps, just stating that for two consecutive years they should have mathematically been relegated (not just mathematically, but in accordance with the rules set out by the BFBB). If bands continue to appeal and succeed in delaying relegation then the section just grows too big.

Euphliz

madandcrazytromboneguy said:
i know ive mentioned my current band already but i just thought i'd mention my 2 former bands aswell.

i felt hudds brass were unlucky, if they had taken the piece a little bit slower in parts then they could have matched there fine performance they did of viszcaya last yr where i predicted them 3rd. unfortuneately this was not the case and a few errors cost them a place or 2 but still fairly solid and a 4th place was in the offing 4 them in my opinion, now can some1 answer me how clifton got 4th?, no offense guys and gals but you all seemed to be almost collapsing after your performance and every1 i spoke to on the day didnt rate your performance to be of 4th place standard. o well maybe justaice will be done next year, who knows.

talkin of justice well i played with hebden bridge last yr and we got a crummy result of about 8th i think, can't remember now, i thort we played a lot better than 8th, altho this yr i thought that yet again hb have pulled off a fine performance and only because of a messy small section in the piece, i had hb down as a really professional performance, 2nd i predicted them, i feel tho that south yorkshire police were robbed of at least a finals place, they played better than the west rivals and 2 b fair, west played quite well aswell, but the cops bands have yet again been placed in the wrong order, switch the 2 around and it wud have been about right, but yet again thats adjudication 4 ya, neway well done 2 hbbb and i'll wish u all the best 4 the finals which i'll b there supportin u all the way.

and finally lindley. thank u to the ppl on here who complemented our performance, when i heard the draw i felt we were really unlucky, 1stly coz it was last, 2ndly coz it was grimey(1 of the big 4), and 3rdly coz they ended up being the winning band that was full of immense quality, yet again congrats 2 my tutor mr richard evans!, but i felt that these 3 factors didnt help our performance altho sum1 has 2 go last and this time it had 2 b us, but when i heard the 1st 3 bands(pennine, hade edge, and skelmanthorpe), i thought we'd have a good chance of beating them as their performances had little blemishes here and there, its a shame they didnt draw closer 2 us near the end, maybe that wud have given us a better result in the ned, but its all speculation and i think we will go down 2 the 1st section with our heads held high coz we played well sunday night, i really enjoyed the experience as it was my 1st time in the champ section and who knows, hopefully lindley will b a mega force in the 1st section when we officially go down, i hope we will neway.

a quick mention to all the new bands who took part, i thought there were positives in all of their performances at some point or other and they should take great credit for their efforts this yr, i felt golcar were well controlled in their playing and with the experienced mr john clay in charge, they came out with a respectable result. well done dodworth!, a surprize package and very tight and clean thruout, well done elliot darwin and ur team coz uve done really well on ur 1st attempt at the yorkshire regional contest, garforth again a good effort and steven bailey you should be proud of ur team, very good effort and then that leaves skelmanthorpe B, unlucky guys that 1st movement let ya down a lil bit, but i tell ya when i came down 4 my audition to conduct you i really felt you had a chance to do very well at this contest and if u can keep your players and keep workin hard then next yr with a bit more preperation you should do really well and i hope to follow your progress throughout the yr.

well done to all the successfull bands who will either go up or go to the finals and unlucky to the bands who will suffer relegation or came last in ur sections, and good luck to every band for the rest of the year and i hope 2 see you all next year, best of luck to you all :)

Er excuse me, the reason we came 4th is because we didnt race through the piece!?

everyone we spoke to said we should have been 3rd!

In the end, its what the adjudicators thought and they put us 4th! Your opinion of where we shud have come dosnt count in Cliftons eyes.

Mike S

bassinthebathroom said:
Aggregate placings are the sum of the previous three years results.

Yes, but you think that the all the bands with the highest two ranges of points will get relegated, whereas in practise if there is more than one band with the highest points total, then those bands will all be considered for relegation and no band with a lower points total will be considered. I hope you can see this difference.

tubafran

Mike S said:
Yes, but you think that the all the bands with the highest two ranges of points will get relegated, whereas in practise if there is more than one band with the highest points total, then those bands will all be considered for relegation and no band with a lower points total will be considered. I hope you can see this difference.

Was this the same problem with the Ibstock "relegation"? Two bands tied on the highest aggregate score but three bands with the two highest points were relegated.

bassinthebathroom

Mike S said:

Please don't patronise me - believe it or not, I do have an education of some description. I can also read, and was just quoting the rulebook, and what should, in theory happen. You came back stating that it was only ever the bottom two bands who go down, wheras this is often not the case. As I have said before, the discretion of the area committee is quite often brought in in cases such as this year's Yorkshire Championship Section, where an unusually high number of bands are in the relegation 'zone', as it were. I believe this is the case in this instance too.

Mike S

bassinthebathroom said:
Please don't patronise me - believe it or not, I do have an education of some description. I can also read, and was just quoting the rulebook, and what should, in theory happen. You came back stating that it was only ever the bottom two bands who go down, wheras this is often not the case. As I have said before, the discretion of the area committee is quite often brought in in cases such as this year's Yorkshire Championship Section, where an unusually high number of bands are in the relegation 'zone', as it were. I believe this is the case in this instance too.

Let's just leave it like this - there has never been an instance where five bands have been relegated from any section in any area. I will predict that the three bands with the highest points total will get relegated.

Product tMP members are discussing