The 'Official' tMP North West Regional Thread

grandfilth

I think maybe you're misjudging the whole judging process. As far as I can see adjudication is not about little errors, but more on the overall picture, and even if he did make this tiny error in writing, its probably because he was trying to write something to explain himself generally. Anyway, he could have meant 6 bars after B...The most important thing is that at some point, some intonation was arry. Its just a competition, why does everyone take things so seriously? It is however about time there was more than one person in the box. One persons opinion should not be held accountable in such a opinion based judgement. I've now stepped off my high horse...

Darth_Tuba

I agree with Chris... have you ever tried following a score and writing down a review of the performance whilst comparing it in your mind to others? I don't envy adjudicators having to do this. I think it's more important that they get the right result than get individual things bob on. The adjudication remarks of for you benefit, not to be used as evidence why "we woz robbed". Also, surely tuning counts as constructive critisism? At least general things like this are more likely to help in future. Specific comments on the piece aren't likely to help if you won't play it again soon.

LyndsayB

Hey folks Just wondering, any comments on 2nd section? Didn't hear Wire, our band were drawn 1st and didnt get to hear too many afterwards. Any comments?;)

bigmamabadger

Darth_Tuba said:
I agree with Chris... have you ever tried following a score and writing down a review of the performance whilst comparing it in your mind to others? I don't envy adjudicators having to do this. I think it's more important that they get the right result than get individual things bob on. The adjudication remarks of for you benefit, not to be used as evidence why "we woz robbed". Also, surely tuning counts as constructive critisism? At least general things like this are more likely to help in future. Specific comments on the piece aren't likely to help if you won't play it again soon.

It's not that I disagree with you about any of this, but...;)
1) There wasn't anyone for us to be compared to by then, we were first up.
2) Surely the adjudicator(s) should be familiar enough with the score to be aware of who should be playing at a particular moment? That phrase was very much just trombones and I think back row cornets.

Of course "we woz robbed", everybody always is, but in fact we weren't. We didn't really deserve any better, but some adjudicators are more encouraging than others, which I think is more important the further down the sections you go. I'm not sure we're going to bother next year, we have a "band meeting" planned very soon, and I for one have a terrible feeling of foreboding about the whole thing...:frown:
BMB
xx

SBB

LyndsayB said:
Hey folks Just wondering, any comments on 2nd section? Didn't hear Wire, our band were drawn 1st and didnt get to hear too many afterwards. Any comments?;)

Yeah! "WE WOZ ROBBED"

HeeeHeee

Haahaa

iancwilx

LyndsayB said:
Did you come 5th? I heard you play, do you wear red jackets and have a man principle? If so, sounded good.

Let's get this right - it's "PrincipPAL" - If you have a "Man Principle" it means you have standards about males.
I'm not getting at you personally, 'cos it's not fair - but to everybody - IT's "PRINCIPAL" CORNET/EUPH/TROM ETC.
Don't hate me - I've got a "Thing" about correct "English" - But basically, who gives a toss as long as you get your message over ??
- Keep 'em coming !
- BOC

neiltwist

eh? shouldn't that be a post in random and off topic?!

Anyway, I managed to hear a recording of Haydock playing and it's not that bad. A problem I have heard about though is the size of the sound. After Fairies it was probably quite small. Always more to work on...

LyndsayB said:

yep i heard them and afew others. they played well but for me it wasnt realy consistent. i had hoover to win and i had Boarshurst in top 3 with wire 3rd and diggle 4th, dont know what silk was thinking with them tempos that cost them a finals place. i didnt hear Greenalls but a few people said they shouldent of been in the top 6.

Ricks results:
1st. hoover
2nd Boarshurst
3rd wire brass
4th diggle
5th blackpool
6th silk

only my opinion dont take offence (there the only bands i heard)

rickcowens2005 said:
dont know what silk was thinking with them tempos that cost them a finals place.

We actually played all the tempos spot on to the markings in the score! It was mentioned that we were the swiftest on stage, but i also think that we played musically too. (Not that i am biased by any means!) AM just looking forward to hearing 4BarsRest's comments on the all the bands performances but there seems to have been a little cock up on their behalf and the guy who wrote them (as they have deleted his email with his comments and he is currently on his way down under!).

SBB

LyndsayB said:
Did you come 5th? I heard you play, do you wear red jackets and have a man principle? If so, sounded good.

Yep! Thats us, Thank you

rickcowens2005 said:
dont know what silk was thinking with them tempos that cost them a finals place.

True, took it abit faster on the day, but surely a band shouldn't be judged on their tempos, unless they dramatically change them. I belive we kept the piece under control and I know you have to do what it says on the piece of music, but surely to add musicallity to a piece, you should be able to change the tempos abit for your liking, as long as you keep control and take note of what the music actually tells you to do.

O well, only my opinion, probly completely wrong, but hey! This is what Banding is all about isn't it! hee hee!

grandfilth

SilkBrassBen said:
Yep! Thats us, Thank you

True, took it abit faster on the day, but surely a band shouldn't be judged on their tempos, unless they dramatically change them. I belive we kept the piece under control and I know you have to do what it says on the piece of music, but surely to add musicallity to a piece, you should be able to change the tempos abit for your liking, as long as you keep control and take note of what the music actually tells you to do.

O well, only my opinion, probly completely wrong, but hey! This is what Banding is all about isn't it! hee hee!

I think the point is that you get to a certain point and taking it faster or slower makes it seise to be musical...

SilkBrassBen said:
Yep! Thats us, Thank you

the tempos compaird to all the other bands stud out well to fast in my opinion (also im going of my bands tempos aswell) it also lacket clarity but you do have a good band sound!

critic

north west area

The 4 barsrest retrospectives are now on site they make interesting reading should have some comments

kate_the_horn

i haev noticed the write ups are up:- (my band, barnton silver)

The Northwich outfit battled on though and although the approach seemed a little rigid, you can't but notice the amount of youngsters that are learning to enjoy brass banding here with them. Relegated from the Third Section in 2003 and fourteenth last year in a field of nineteen, they appear to be really going through a tough time at the moment, but if they can keep the enthusiasm and the talented MD they will prosper for sure.

eermm in our band theres only 2 under 18s.
one euphonium and our percussionist (17/16)

and eevn if i am taken into account (18)
and our rather young looking solo trom player (19 goin on 20)

the nearest is about 26.

im confused!

kel x

Crazysop

Cool I've waited all week for this!! Our Writeup!!!
"Following them on stage was the Middleton Band. Carl Whiteoak who conveyed obvious encouragement to his band, took them to within a whisker of a Finals place in a performance that flowed with conviction. The band control and dynamic shape helped balance warmth with exhilarating vigour and we had them just to pip Eccleston in our final mix."

madsaz

I wouldn't worry too much about 4barsrest. They seem to have a few wierd obsessions - female players are always noteworthy and the championship review is embarassing to read, although they did make it clear that blonde Scandinavians really do it for them!

You could always email them pointing out that they must have mixed you up with another band!

Even 4barsrest is just one mans' opinion and from what I've read and heard, I'm pretty sure there are plenty around who disagree with them.
They were polite to us, but we never expect frank praise. Roll out the cliche!!;)

sterlingsop

I'm not over impressed with 4br reviews either. Recent articles have made me question their objectiveness, such as their predictions before the contest. Not professional, not consistent, and not a fan of the lower sections.

I'd rather go off what the audience say on the day - discounting supporters and mates of course coz they'll ALWAYS say you played well!

HorniKaz

Supporting Member
rickcowens2005 said:
yep i heard them and afew others. they played well but for me it wasnt realy consistent. i had hoover to win and i had Boarshurst in top 3 with wire 3rd and diggle 4th, dont know what silk was thinking with them tempos that cost them a finals place. i didnt hear Greenalls but a few people said they shouldent of been in the top 6.

Ricks results:
1st. hoover
2nd Boarshurst
3rd wire brass
4th diggle
5th blackpool
6th silk

only my opinion dont take offence (there the only bands i heard)

Thanks for your kind remarks!! Although, Wire are a fab outfit & deserved to win. & Diggle 2nd - happy with that!! 3rd would have been a just result for us I think, although we still wouldn't have qualified for Nationals. Pity!! Had a nice hotel in mind!! Pontins here we come instead!

grandfilth

Yeah 4barsreat is just 2 peoples opinions but its good to read about yourself from time to time!Especially when they're being nice to you!I thought the championship section was relatively well done anyway from what the audience said on the day...

Product tMP members are discussing