The 'Official' tMP North of England Regional Thread

Ruthless

JR said:
Thanks Rachel! Do i take it Ruth is ok? please send my regards

john r

I'm fine thanks. I managed to get through the day without throwing up which is more than can be said for a couple of rehearsals last week!! Did have a couple of dizzy spells during the piece but think I survived okay!! I was just very tired by the end of the day and did not fancy a coach trip home so Rach kindly chauffered me!!

I am missing the beers though roll on August.

Ruth

bigcol

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2005/art440e.asp

Ok ok I'm not going to jump on 4BR for stating their opinion - I wish more people would do just that.

One thing I will comment on, is the fact that they thought the standard of 4th section bands was poor. I think there is going to be a rude awakening for them with this piece when they go to the other areas, and because of an admin error we also had 3 weeks to a month less to rehearse the piece than is traditional for us.

Divertimento is no Malvern Suite - and would give any 3rd section band a few missed heartbeats.

The standard of bands is bound to be worse than in past years - it's simple maths. There are at least 20 less bands in the North area competing than there was 5 years ago. With less bands it means the good bands can get promoted quicker, leaving a poorer standard behind them. But where's the benchmark? Yorkshire? North West? Is that it?

I do hope they don't have too high an expectation for the weekends to come - or if they do, it is qualified against what is a "good 4th section".

Wonky_Baton

I am not sure about your point Colin to be honest. Dunston were second but we came off the stand very disappointed with our performance. However most other people seem to think we deserved second place regardless. Therefore if we played well below our potential it seems to follow that the overall standard was lower than previous years. However it is possible that all eight bands had an off day. As you say we all lost three weeks rehearsal. Our band had to right the half term holiday off as we had so many teachers and kids from the band away on holiday. At the end of the day I cant complain because Dunston have qualified which compared to the past performences of 9th, 9th and 10th is an achievement but I wish we had done so with the performance we were capable of. At the end of the day every band in our section will have regrets but both dunston and five rivers have an opportunity to put things right by doing well at the finals. If we dont then its obvious our area are the weakest. Its certainly a challange Dunston are looking forward to because we are determined to do the NE proud and let the battle commence!!:cool:

jambo

Ste69 said:
Hear hear!!!!

Well done to all and good luck in London! :clap:

Thanks alot guys. I only got to hear RV off number one but apparently it was pretty close for the rest of the bands.

Commiserations to Fishburn and EYMS who apparently played well but a massive COME ON!!!! To 'BHK (UK) Ltd Band' and 'CLS Riverside' who will grace the Albert Hall for the first time come October.

A great result for the Area as a few more bands appear to have raised their game to compete at the top.

See you in London fellas

COME OONNNNNN!!!!!!!!

bigcol

Wonky_Baton said:
I am not sure about your point Colin to be honest.

Just showing a bit of pride, that's all Alan :tongue:.

As someone who has spent the last 247 years conducting, playing with, running and drinking with the bands in the area, I thought you might have agreed that life isn't so bad t'up north:rolleyes:. Still as you said, roll on Harrogate.

geordiecolin

"...it is a huge boost for the band and their very likeable MD who was a delighted (and slightly squiffy) man when we met up with him later that night in the bar." (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2005/art440e.asp)

heheheh, looks like 4barsrest are still reeling from their encounter with the one-man drinking machine that is Alan Seymour. And what the chuff does "squiffy" mean? :D

Wonky_Baton

bigcol said:
Just showing a bit of pride, that's all Alan :tongue:.

As someone who has spent the last 247 years conducting, playing with, running and drinking with the bands in the area, I thought you might have agreed that life isn't so bad t'up north:rolleyes:. Still as you said, roll on Harrogate.

I am proud of the NE but it could be true we are pants compared to some other regions. We will see how the other bands fare and I will be interested in 4 Bars Rests Comments. As the number of bands in all sections decline 4th section players are sucked up to the higher sections to keep them going and its harder for the little bands to survive. Durham Police and Billingham didn't pull up any trees last year at the finals. The best 4th Section band in my lifetime Lockwood only managed a fifth at the Areas, I think, when they qualified in the 4th section and virtually the same personnel has just won the 2nd Section.

You never can tell though!:(

Wonky_Baton

geordiecolin said:
"...it is a huge boost for the band and their very likeable MD who was a delighted (and slightly squiffy) man when we met up with him later that night in the bar." (http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2005/art440e.asp)

heheheh, looks like 4barsrest are still reeling from their encounter with the one-man drinking machine that is Alan Seymour. And what the chuff does "squiffy" mean? :D

It was quite funny really. Victoria and I stayed over night in Darlo cos i was playing for Murton at 8. Victoria went to bed and I strolled into the bar for a nightcap around 2ish. Saw 3 lads in the bar and asked if i could join them not having a clue who they were. I even asked if they were up for a wedding:D but they said they were up for a brass band contest:rolleyes:

Turned out it was Iwen Fox from 4 bars rest, A nice bloke from the brass band world mag and another canny lad who organisers the europeans. They were a little overawed to be in the presence of the MD of second placed dunston but i soon put them at ease. :redface:

Iwen said he tipped Dunston to do well. But with only 8 bands in the contest and we weren't in either the top six predictions or the dark horse I cant see how he dared call me squiffy!!;) Must of had us as the bonus ball!!

Had a good laugh with Iwen he is a top bloke but unfortunately I found out too late that he supported cardiff. I would have then have told him all about Sunderland playing Cardiff City off the park that very same day. It would have been nice to point out how the standard of football from his team was a big disappointment compared to all other areas of the country but at least his team turned up and did their best!! :clap:

Any way no sleep on Saturday night because of a very stong contreau coffee, a twelve hour session on Sunday with various randoms followed by a lock - in at Houghton with the bass end of chester-le-street Riverside. Swapped sories with them about coming second and then I eventually drew a line under my banding weekend in the early hours. By this time I had left Squiffy well and trully behind and was totally Brahams and Liszt. Managed and got into work about 2 in the afternoon. Might end up starting my own blogg if everyweek end gets as eventful!!:cool:

Wonky_Baton said:
The best 4th Section band in my lifetime Lockwood only managed a fifth at the Areas, I think, when they qualified in the 4th section and virtually the same personnel has just won the 2nd Section.

You never can tell though!:(

I played with North Skelton Band when we won the 4th Section National Finals, a while ago though. ..............

Now let me think .......................Oh yes ........... 1975

Straightmute

Brassb3ll3nd said:
I played with North Skelton Band when we won the 4th Section National Finals, a while ago though. ..............

Now let me think .......................Oh yes ........... 1975

I was there that year with Pemberton Old. Salzburg Suite. We wuz robbed!

D

Resurgam

bigcol said:
http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2005/art440e.asp

Ok ok I'm not going to jump on 4BR for stating their opinion - I wish more people would do just that.

One thing I will comment on, is the fact that they thought the standard of 4th section bands was poor. I think there is going to be a rude awakening for them with this piece when they go to the other areas, and because of an admin error we also had 3 weeks to a month less to rehearse the piece than is traditional for us.

Divertimento is no Malvern Suite - and would give any 3rd section band a few missed heartbeats.

The standard of bands is bound to be worse than in past years - it's simple maths. There are at least 20 less bands in the North area competing than there was 5 years ago. With less bands it means the good bands can get promoted quicker, leaving a poorer standard behind them. But where's the benchmark? Yorkshire? North West? Is that it?

I do hope they don't have too high an expectation for the weekends to come - or if they do, it is qualified against what is a "good 4th section".

It was of course the management at the Dolphin Centre to blame and not the regional committee for bringing the contest weekend forward. At least that is what we were all advised by Mr Hope. !!!!!

Resurgam

Wonky_Baton said:
I am not sure about your point Colin to be honest. Dunston were second but we came off the stand very disappointed with our performance. However most other people seem to think we deserved second place regardless. Therefore if we played well below our potential it seems to follow that the overall standard was lower than previous years. However it is possible that all eight bands had an off day. As you say we all lost three weeks rehearsal. Our band had to right the half term holiday off as we had so many teachers and kids from the band away on holiday. At the end of the day I cant complain because Dunston have qualified which compared to the past performences of 9th, 9th and 10th is an achievement but I wish we had done so with the performance we were capable of. At the end of the day every band in our section will have regrets but both dunston and five rivers have an opportunity to put things right by doing well at the finals. If we dont then its obvious our area are the weakest. Its certainly a challange Dunston are looking forward to because we are determined to do the NE proud and let the battle commence!!:cool:

Well said Wonky Baton, May I also say that I was particularly delighted that both Dunston and Five Rivers did exceptionally well last weekend as both Bands have not had the best of luck over the past few years. Nevertheless I wish you both and indeed all the other qualifying Bands going to the Finals at Harrogate and London my sincere best wishes. It would be fantastic for the Region if we could once again bring back one of those coveted awards just to show that here in the North East the movement is as healthy as it has ever been.

Resurgam

bigcol said:
Ta Ray - i said it was an "admin error" - I didn't say whose it was ;)

You are quite right Col, I was not suggesting for one minute you had, it was simply to ensure that the avid readers of the website were informed as to where the blame lay or indeed the organisation. ha ha . !!!! The weather of course the week prior to the contest could have turned out to be a total disaster for all the Bands, there would certainly have been a few red faces if this had been the case

Splitone

Ste69 said:
Ahhhhhh 1975 - the year of my birth.......

Ha ha old lecturer man!!!!!!!!!

(just kidding) ;)

Not sure if we should disagree with 1975 old man - 1875 more like, or actually decide whether the birth part is correct! I thought bass players were created somewhere? ;)

Product tMP members are discussing