The 'Official' tMP Midlands Regional Thread

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
lynchie said:
Just to add to my congratulations, it's worth noting that Raunds were in the 4th section just 5 years ago, and thanks to having a great bunch of people running the band, they've shot up the sections, attracting real quality players where they were needed. I hope they can go on to do well at the nationals, because I really think they could hold their own very well in the top section. Well done guys!

Ditto to what Paul says....the Midlands first section is ultra-tough so its a huge achievement. Well done to Raunds and Bedworth and good luck both at the finals.:clap:

Roger Thorne

1 - Raunds Temperance - 191 pts
2 - Bedworth Brass - 190 pts
3 - Kibworth - 188 pts
4 - Jackfield - 187 pts

Just returned from the contest having heard the majority of performances. Congratulations to the winners - Raunds Temperance - who gave a superb rendition of 'Comedy Overture' and on this occasion I had to agree with the adudicator on awarding them first place. Congrats also to Bedworth, Kibworth and particularly Jackfield for very comendable performances.

;)

ian perks

Well done to Raunds good result for them.
Me sitting here working out to see if we have been relegated but we have just scraped it by the skin of our teeth.
Back upto Burton in about3/4 of a hour for BIG INDIAN AT BALTI TOWERS.
By the way folks sorry we have booked our tables weeks ago:biggrin:
but i will be up there on this sunday to listen to ALL the 3rd & Championship section as the UNOFFICIAL ADJUDICATOR:biggrin: :clap:
so come over and ask me how you think you have played:confused:

Colin

:tup I would like to add my congratulations to Raunds.

When I spent a short while with them 98-99, they were a promising and ambitious 4thsection band. Now winning the 1st section with same MD, John Fletcher and many of the same players.

Watch 'em fly! :clap:

dyl

ian perks said:
so come over and ask me how you think you have played

And for those of you who don't know what Ian looks like - he's the one with the grey face, a green cap and a t-shirt covered in smilies!!! ;)

Big Twigge

ian perks said:
Well done to Raunds good result for them.
Me sitting here working out to see if we have been relegated but we have just scraped it by the skin of our teeth.
Back upto Burton in about3/4 of a hour for BIG INDIAN AT BALTI TOWERS.
By the way folks sorry we have booked our tables weeks ago:biggrin:
but i will be up there on this sunday to listen to ALL the 3rd & Championship section as the UNOFFICIAL ADJUDICATOR:biggrin: :clap:
so come over and ask me how you think you have played:confused:

Will do, but can you wear a big sign saying " ask me how well you played" please? (and only say nice things or I might cry ;) )

Steve

lynchie said:
Just to add to my congratulations, it's worth noting that Raunds were in the 4th section just 5 years ago, and thanks to having a great bunch of people running the band, they've shot up the sections, attracting real quality players where they were needed. I hope they can go on to do well at the nationals, because I really think they could hold their own very well in the top section. Well done guys!

OH MY GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raunds are absolutely delighted to be Midlands First Section Champions. We knew it was possible but this is still a huge shock and I dont think anyone in the band quite understands what we achieved yet. As a newly promoted band and one who have come a long way in a short time this is the ultimate reward for the hard work of everone past and present that has contributed to our success. Thank you to everyone who came in and listened and the lovely things that were, have and are still being said about our performance. Our congratulations to Bedworth, Kibworth and all the rest of the bands (sincere commiserations from myself to Hathern, although I didnt hear your performance I know you are better than your 12th place result).

Our personal thanks to Ben Godffrey who was a huge lift to the band, also Geoff Whittam for popping down and doing a rehearsal with us and Desford for the use of their bandroom (all those banners on the wall obviously had the motivational effect we were hoping for).

And for all those that questioned the purple mouthpiece, pink beard approach to trombone playing I can only say MWAHAHAHAH

MRSH

Supporting Member
Third Section - Results

Sunday 6th March
Commences: 10.00
Draw: 09.00 and 11.00 [Split draw]
Adjudicator: John Berryman
Test Piece: Tam O'Shanter's Ride – Denis Wright

1. Phoenix West Midlands - D. Bishop-Rowe, 9, 187*
2. Arrow Valley - A. Culshaw, 10, 185*
3. Daventry - P. Northey, 2, 184*
4. Long Eaton Silver - S. Stansfield, 14, 183

Courtesy of www.4barsrest.com

Last edited by a moderator:

HBB

1. Phoenix West Midlands - D. Bishop-Rowe, 9, 187*
2. Arrow Valley - A. Culshaw, 10, 185*
3. Daventry - P. Northey, 2, 184*
4. Long Eaton Silver - S. Stansfield, 14, 183
9. Bakewell Silver
10. Wem Jubilee - R. Thorne
14. Whitwell
18. Croft Silver

Roger Thorne

Congratulations to all the winning bands in the 3rd section - a big well done from all at Wem Band.
This was a well fought contest with some interesting 'readings' of the Test Piece although I was surprised to see that Warwick University Band didn't get put into the frame. It was a cracking performance and one I personally felt justified a prize. Maybe it had something to do with the adjudicator being in a hurry to get off to Bradford to hear the top section! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've just had a quick glance at the league tables for our section and its looking like Daventry and Phoenix West Midlands are to be promoted and Ratby and Croft will unfortunately be relegated.

Once again, well done to all the bands, particularly the qualifiers.

;)

Last edited:

drummergurl

just got a text from naomi..

champs section results...

1st-wooley pritchard
2nd- desford
3rd- Jag
4th- travelsphere

(sorry bout my spelling, i copied wot naomi said to me)

Vickitorious

Well done to Wem for putting up a blinder of a performance, it really was amazing.:clap: Shame about the result to follow, but like we said... it's a lottery. :dunno

But you can still all be very proud of yourselves. :)

Well done to the bands in the prizes, and good luck at Harrogate ;)

Steve

Full Championship section results courtesy of 4BarsRest.com

Sunday 6th March
Commences: c.16.15
Draw: 13.00
Adjudicator: Roy Roe
Test Piece: Overture to Rienzi - Wagner

1. Woolley Pritchard Sovereign - T. Jones, 9, 192
2. Desford Colliery - P. Parkes, 10, 191
3. Jaguar (Coventry) - D. Lea, 3, 189
4. Travelsphere Holidays - D. Stowell, 6, 188
5. Newstead Welfare - D. Beckley, 8, 187