The 'Official' tMP L&SC Regional Thread

JR

Chris Kirk said:
I'll be a happy man, if we beat anyone of the three front runners.

It will be interesting as it appears that all three have had some good results already this year, particulary Aveley. Does this mean Aveley will be pushing much harder for a qualifying place?

Trouble is, with Alliance comprising of mainly music students, they should be, on paper, more suited to playing a piece like Rienzi?

In 1963 at the Yorkshire Area Grimethorpe won under George Thompson with a memorable performance of Rienzi...
Most of the band of the band were coal miners

jr

GBH

Soppy said:
The Matthews band have withdrawn. We were unable to get a Bb Bass player :(

You withdrew because you were short a Bb bass player?

Seems a little extreme to me - Denham Hendon managed 6th place in the first section with 17 players a couple of years back.

Is the piece that reliant on 2 Bb players?

G

lewis

GBH said:
You withdrew because you were short a Bb bass player?

Seems a little extreme to me - Denham Hendon managed 6th place in the first section with 17 players a couple of years back.

Is the piece that reliant on 2 Bb players?

G

Have Matthews still got the sponsor they used to? I remember a couple of our players before we formed got some serious money from them.

Andrew R

BBCbari said:
BTW - If anybody is interested, here are the unofficial grading tables for LSC Championship Section:

Band.................2003.......2004.......TOTAL
Redbridge..................1.............1..............2
Alliance.....................2.............2..............4
Aveley.......................3.............3..............6
Soham.......................4.............6............10
Friary Guildford.........6.5...........4............10.5
Kidlington...................6.............5.............11
Northfleet................6.5..........6.5.............13
Zone One.................6.5..........6.5............13
Welwyn Garden City....7.............7.............14
Ipswich & Norfolk......6.5.............9...........15.5
KM Medway..............6.5.............10.........16.5
City of Oxford.............8.............12............20

Pat -

Based on the North of England results it would not surprise me at all if somebody from the pack qualaifies this year along with Redbridge!

lewis

Andrew R said:
Pat -

Based on the North of England results it would not surprise me at all if somebody from the pack qualaifies this year along with Redbridge!

Seems a bit harsh to write off Aveley and us so flippantly, after our results so far this year.

I would personally be surprised if there are upsets in London, but I appreciate everyone has their own opinion. Think we are looking forward to it though, and all three of the top bands have their own reasons to be confident.

Last edited:

Accidental

Supporting Member
lewis said:
Seems a bit harsh to write off Aveley and us so flippantly, after our results so far this year.

I would personally be surprised if there are upsets in London

No harsher than writing the rest of us off, eh! ;)
With a piece like Rienzi anything could happen....

PeterBale

Staff member
I think it could be quite intriguing in the top section - only sorry I won't be there on the Sunday to hear and meet you all. I'll be particularly interested to see how Zone One do, having been promoted after a not-so-brilliant, somewhat under-rehearsed performance on the day last year. Maybe they could still surprise a few people if they manage to fit in some serious work over the next week or so.

lewis

PeterBale said:
I'll be particularly interested to see how Zone One do, having been promoted after a not-so-brilliant, somewhat under-rehearsed performance on the day last year.

I think what is most surprising about Zone One is they obviously had the players to do very well in the 1st section but really had a nightmare last year, and lets face it have been very lucky to even get promotion. I know a lot of them though and I hope they don't have another performance like last year but not too good hey? :)

Red Elvis

As far as the 1st section goes , anyone out there have any links with Hatfields of Colchester ?

Some years ago I came into contact with Eric Tooley (think he was the band chairman) when he had a spell in Hospital , and would love to know if he is still involved with the band and maybe renew the acquaintance . I think his son was playing for Alliance at the finals in October.

lewis

Baritone Elvis said:
As far as the 1st section goes , anyone out there have any links with Hatfields of Colchester ?

Some years ago I came into contact with Eric Tooley (think he was the band chairman) when he had a spell in Hospital , and would love to know if he is still involved with the band and maybe renew the acquaintance . I think his son was playing for Alliance at the finals in October.

I live with his son Robb now, and Eric is now living in south France. Not sure, but he might well be in Stevenage as he has become one of our best supporters.

DublinBass

Supporting Member
lewis said:

I don't think Andrew R was writing you off "so flippantly"...I think because he is in Redbridge (at least I think he is) he was being self promoting ;). Perhaps the lack of quotation boxes in the clear style caused some abiguity?

I wouldn't write anybody off for the areas..this is Rienzi, so I think anybody could be in it.

Red Elvis

lewis said:
I live with his son Robb now, and Eric is now living in south France. Not sure, but he might well be in Stevenage as he has become one of our best supporters.

Will be good to see him again if he's there (he may or may not actually remember me , real name is Phil and I was a nurse in CCU at Colchester General at the time).

Laserbeam bass

Baritone Elvis said:
Will be good to see him again if he's there (he may or may not actually remember me , real name is Phil and I was a nurse in CCU at Colchester General at the time).

As long as they don't beat us LOL
darkwahrk.gif

lewis

Baritone Elvis said:

I'll certainly pass your name onto him and if i find out for definite that he'll be there i'll let you know.

Andrew R

lewis said:

I would personally be surprised if there are upsets in London, but I appreciate everyone has their own opinion. Think we are looking forward to it though, and all three of the top bands have their own reasons to be confident.

Lewis -

Sorry for the delayed reply - technical problems...!

The point I was actually trying to make was that this is a very open piece - which yesterday's results (Yorkshire apart) again atest - no Travelsphere, Ransome etc.

I'm certainly not writing anybody off - especially Aveley and Alliance. However I'm not discounting the possibility of anybody else getting in the frame among the favoured three as you seem to be suggesting - it only takes one good performance!

The Redbridge comment was obviously tongue in cheek......although I know despite having (deservedly) won for the last three years they are no less determined to reapeat the feat again this year!!!

Product tMP members are discussing