The Masters 2007

ballyhorn

critic said:
I hope Fodens accept the invitation whatever they thought about last years result they should be big enough to take it on the chin and return.
I played with Fodens on paganini and although it was a kick in the teeth not to at least come in the prizes, and I know on the day tempers get raised and things are said,I cant see any reason why they shouldn't compete again next year...At the end of the day you will lose an awful lot more than you win....

PeterBale

Staff member
jim said:
Great choice just wondering how many percussion parts there are for it Iv just listened to my recording of it and it sounds like timps only
great choice tho

Having sorted out my set of "In Memoriam RK" I can confirm that percussion is mostly timp, with one passage on tenor drum, but all played by one player.

persins

I think a lot will depend on which bands choose to go to Blackpool next year.
With the Spring Festival being moved back by a couple of weeks, it means that the two contests are almost on top of each other. It would be a very tall order to do both the Spring Festival and the Masters in 2007.

Having played at the Masters when it was the All England and since it is the International, I think that it is still a very good and well organised contest. It is a fantastic and friendly day out too!

It is a real shame that the coveted Euro qualification place was awarded to the New English Championships when the Masters was pushing so hard for it for years.

Although I have a recording of the test piece for 2007, I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. I have heard conflicting opinions on it though!!

jim

brittm said:
Am I missing something? why are Fodens likey not to accept the invitation?

I for one hope we accept ours, In Memorium RK is my absolute favourite piece of brass band music, a real heart felt tribute to the man himself, an intelligent piece of writing. The BBC recording of Dyke with James Watson is just spell binding.

Martin

Were can you get a copy of this recording martin?

brittm

jim said:
Were can you get a copy of this recording martin?

Sorry Jim, my Mum recorded the broadcast for me (a good few years ago now), I have no idea if it's available. I doubt the percussion part will test you though!

Cheers, Martin

jim

brittm said:
Sorry Jim, my Mumrecorded the broadcast for me (a good few years ago now), I have no idea if it's available. I doubt the percussion part will test you though!

Cheers, Martin

I dont no may be a case of tossing a coin or taking some cards to band or sumet!

cheers for last week again, dnt forget to give me a mention if I can ever return the favour

james

James Yelland

PeterBale said:
...(a choice) with ample scope for expression

Indeed. It's one of my favourite pieces too. Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that the quiet repose which marks the work's conclusion will be ruined by the usual philistine yelling, whooping and whistling which marks the end of every contest performance. The wrong sort of expression, if you like. I think I'll stick to my studio recordings of the piece.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
It's a stonking piece - I went to it's premiere with Besses as one of my first concerts - but I have to question it's choice for the occasion. I guess it'll be interesting to see what people do with it though.

Any piece of music of the quality of 'In Memoriam RK' is a worthy choice for any contest. Just because there aren't a lot of notes in the piece (or percussion for that matter) does not make it a questionable choice. Think it's a fabulous piece and a fabulous choice as test piece.

There is a recording from Black Dyke on the 1992 Nationals CD. They played it at the Gala Concert with James Watson conducting. Very nice indeed!

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Gorgie boy said:
Any piece of music of the quality of 'In Memoriam RK' is a worthy choice for any contest. Just because there aren't a lot of notes in the piece (or percussion for that matter) does not make it a questionable choice. Think it's a fabulous piece and a fabulous choice as test piece.

There is a recording from Black Dyke on the 1992 Nationals CD. They played it at the Gala Concert with James Watson conducting. Very nice indeed!

There are a few recordings around - I've got a tape recording somewhere that my Dad made of the Premiere with Mr Howarth (I think - I was only 7!) introducing it...(I know he shouldn't have taped it, but hey, it was the 70s ;) )

There's no way I'd question the quality of the music, nor the statement about how many notes per second there are vs percussion vs suitability.

I just think it's unconventional - which isn't really a bad thing - and maybe a bit out of keeping with the line of Cambridge test pieces. It'll certainly take some playing.

Lauradoll

Not long to go till the contest now, who's going and who's staying over? Hoping NOT to get a number one draw again this year, perhaps then I'll remember past 1pm...oops!!

Seriously though, looking forward to the contest despite never having played/ heard the piece and it's always good to catch up with people.

Bryan_sop

Not long to go till the contest now, who's going and who's staying over? Hoping NOT to get a number one draw again this year, perhaps then I'll remember past 1pm...oops!!

Seriously though, looking forward to the contest despite never having played/ heard the piece and it's always good to catch up with people.

I was wondering if anyone was staying over too, I've put a thread in Random chat about it. Beer festival's on too :guiness

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I've just been listening to the piece for the first time in ages....and reminded myself how fabulous it is.

It'll definitely be an interesting day.

Texus

Fantastic piece that calls for great controlled playing.
Thouroughly enjoying rehearsals for once!

Product tMP members are discussing