The Man On The Moon Thing - Channel 5

MoominDave

2nd man down said:
Do we honestly believe having been once and spent all that money on getting there that we'd never go set foot on there again?? Get real, they never did it cos they knew it was a waste of time, but they couldn't be seen to have lost the race.

Americans returned to the moon on 5 occasions between 1969 and 1972; I suppose I should write 'allegedly'.

I'm told that with a decent telescope you can see stuff that they left up there. Anyone care to confirm?

Also, cynicism cuts both ways - surely the Russians would have raised any doubts that they had about the landings there and then? They had the equipment to tell.

yea but then we get into the debate about the quality and accuracy of the soviet equipment :wink: i jus don't think this arguement will ever end, we jus don't trust the american gvt!!!!

The programme that was on last night was a programma trying to prove the "sceptics" wrong. There is also a programme which was filmed entirely by the sceptics..... and loads of their points were missed out last night in that programme.

For example:

Did you know that at the time when NASA were training their astronauts for Apollo 11 ( I think was the mission?? :dunno ) approximately 10 of them died in sudden, tragic circumstances? All at very young ages! It is said that they objected to fooling the world and were killed off.

ALSO.... Neil Armstrong and t'other guy from space (lol :oops: ) brought back a particular photo of an area on earth (I will be more specific when I remember the details), and said... "this is what it looked like from space!" And yet several years later, some Russians took a photo using their satellites, no where near as high up as the moon, and had exactly the same photo!!!

ANNNND, at the time when NASA sent the men into space, was at a time when America's morale was feeling low as Vietnam or something was about to kick off (or was in progress... again, I'm being vague here... I will get there proper details!). People believe that they did it to make Americans feel strong and in control, and full of morale again.

Hmmmm, my mind is having a blank... I am going to come back with all the correct facts etc.... But last night was all about the scientists and the NASA team denying the sceptics' allegations.... they just happened to miss a lot of the allegations out! And tried to make the sceptics look daft.

Well I for one am a sceptic!! :p Typical Americans if you ask me :p

Stick a fork in me. I'm done. :roll:

neiltwist

well, if we're on about this, we may as well think about how the americans allegedly stole/disabled our(europe's) mars project!

lynchie

little_miss_marcroft said:
ALSO.... Neil Armstrong and t'other guy from space (lol :oops: ) brought back a particular photo of an area on earth (I will be more specific when I remember the details), and said... "this is what it looked like from space!" And yet several years later, some Russians took a photo using their satellites, no where near as high up as the moon, and had exactly the same photo!!!

zoom lens?

ANNNND, at the time when NASA sent the men into space, was at a time when America's morale was feeling low as Vietnam or something was about to kick off (or was in progress... again, I'm being vague here... I will get there proper details!). People believe that they did it to make Americans feel strong and in control, and full of morale again.

yup, but that doesn't mean they didn't go, just that they had a really good reason to go...

And tried to make the sceptics look daft.

didn't seem like a very difficult thing to do...[/quote]

Well Worth It

And what exactly would be the point in flying to the Moon, then ZOOMING IN to take a picture of the Earth.
That's about as stupid as scaling the Empire State Building and zooming in to take a picture of the telescope on the roof.

lynchie

ok then, maybe the russians used a wide angle lens... or maybe the moon was closer to the earth when the americans were there... it's not exactly a water tight argument anyway!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.