The History of Brass Band Music - The Golden Era

WorldofBrass.com

The History of Brass Band Music

On the Doyen label, we are pleased to announce the the release, from Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band and Elgar Howarth, of the first in a series of 6 recordings exploring the vast History of Brass Band Music.

This first release deals with The Golden Era (1920 -1970) and the track listing is as follows;
Life Divine (Jenkins)
A Moorside Suite (Holst)
Comedy Overture (Ireland)
Cornet Concerto (Wright)
Resurgam (Ball)
Spectrum (Vinter)

We are expecting the CD to come into stock very soon but you can order it now from our Mail Order people or from our website;
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21234.html

Last edited:

Bariman

What are the remaining 5 volumes likely to cover and what music will they contain? Also what is the likely time span for issuing them?

WorldofBrass.com

As the title suggests, the series will cover the history of brass band music to the present day. I cannot be specific at this time about what titles will be included, the project will be completed during the next 18 months to 2 years. However, please be aware that we won't necessarily release each CD in strict chronological order.

MoominDave

1920-1970 does seem a pretty sweeping generality; they could probably fit every second top section area piece since 1971 on the remaining volumes.

Dave

WorldofBrass.com

This project is the brainchild of none other than Elgar Howarth. I am sure that his ideas about what constitutes a History of Brass Band Music will carry the utmost integrity and won't necessarily be made up entirely of test pieces. British Bandsman is doing a feature on the series in this weeks issue and I hope that the article will help explain some more of the thinking behind the project.

MoominDave

I'm sure it'll make sense when the series is considered as a whole; just intrigued that so eminent an authority should seemingly 'paint himself into a corner'. Asked to devise such a project on 6 CDs, I would not have attempted to have covered more than half of that time-span on one. But then, no-ones asking me! :wink:

I said 'test-pieces' because these have traditionally formed the most profound original repertoire for band, and the consideration of them provided a handy illustration of what surprised me...

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
I would go along with those who have said that it would be good to have an overview of the content of the series. There have been a number of such compilations in recent years - the Chandos Brass from the Masters (2 volumes) and Cory's ongoing "Brass Band Classics" series to name but two.

Hopefully the article mentoned above will give some idea as to the rationale behind the project, as at present "Spectrum" would appear slightly out of place amongst the other works in the first volume.

PeterBale

Staff member
neiltwist said:
PeterBale said:
at present "Spectrum" would appear slightly out of place amongst the other works in the first volume.

don't follow why, sorry.

Because I have always thought of "Spectrum" as breaking new ground and setting band music off into new directions. Stylistic, the others seem to have a lot more in common. Of course, that may be the very reason why he has included it - have to wait and read the article :!:

Straightmute

MoominDave said:
I'm sure it'll make sense when the series is considered as a whole; just intrigued that so eminent an authority should seemingly 'paint himself into a corner'. Asked to devise such a project on 6 CDs, I would not have attempted to have covered more than half of that time-span on one. But then, no-ones asking me! :wink:

I've tremendous respect for Elgar Howarth and will buy the CDs (!) but I'm surprised that he's re-recording works that are already well represented on disc, the Cornet Concerto being a possible exception. How many Resurgams (Resurgii???) do we need when there is so much good music unrecorded?

Given Howarth's interest in early band music, particularly Rimmer and Owen, alongside his commitment to new repertoire, I hope that the later issues will be more interesting and groundbreaking. A recording of the Birtwistle pieces is long overdue and many of the new works commissioned by Howarth/Grimethorpe in the past await recordings...

D

The Cornet King

Straightmute said:
I've tremendous respect for Elgar Howarth and will buy the CDs (!) but I'm surprised that he's re-recording works that are already well represented on disc, the Cornet Concerto being a possible exception.

D

Yeh i seem to agree. Most of the works have seemingly been already recorded. I for one would probably buy the CD more for the fact that the Denis Wright Cornet Concerto (which i have yet to find a complete recording of) is on the CD, no doubt given a marvellous airing by Richard Marshall.

PeterBale

Staff member
Having read the article in British Bandsman, there does appear to be a lot of duplicaton of repertoire. However, the cds of early and recent music look as if they may be worth looking out for, and at least one of the Birtwistle pieces will be there, together with Henze's "Ragtimes & Habaneras".

Regarding the Dennis Wright "Cornet concerto", it was recorded on the cd of the 1988 National Finals, and also on "Composer's Choice" by Brighouse, where the soloist is Jim Davies:
http://www.cdsdirect.fsnet.co.uk/brighouse/default.htm

There is also a performance with piano accompaniment by Alan Morrison on his cd "Concerto x 4":
http://www.justbrass.co.uk/alanmorrison/concerto.htm

The Cornet King

Cheers for the info Peter! :D :D

Perhaps World of Brass may know of any more...i heard 2 movements done by Jimmy Shepherd once...did he ever record the whole thing??

James Yelland

PeterBale said:
Having read the article in British Bandsman, there does appear to be a lot of duplicaton of repertoire. However, the cds of early and recent music look as if they may be worth looking out for, and at least one of the Birtwistle pieces will be there, together with Henze's "Ragtimes & Habaneras".

Regarding the Dennis Wright "Cornet concerto", it was recorded on the cd of the 1988 National Finals, and also on "Composer's Choice" by Brighouse, where the soloist is Jim Davies:

There is also a performance with piano accompaniment by Alan Morrison on his cd "Concerto x 4":

The Wright Cornet Concerto was also recorded by Solna Brass many years ago, soloist Bram Gay.

It is also on a recording called "Composers choice" by Brighouse played by Jim Davies, Mr Ball was to conduct this recording I believe but died before it took off and he was replaced by Geoffrey Brand.

John Brooks

My copy arrived yesterday and, as I had to endure a 3 hour car journey last night, I popped it into my player and it made the journey seem effortless. Many of the questions asked above re the choice of music etc. are answered in the excellent sleeve notes. All I can say is it's going to be a long two years waiting for the balance of the series. This is awesome!

John Brooks

PeterBale said:

Canadian soloist Robert Venables also recorded the Cornet Concerto with Brighouse a couple of years ago. Not sure of the current availability of the CD but it was a good one.

John Brooks said:
Canadian soloist Robert Venables also recorded the Cornet Concerto with Brighouse a couple of years ago. Not sure of the current availability of the CD but it was a good one.

I'm sure Peter Bale will know for sure but I think the Bob Venables CD with B&R is on the Fletcher House label but is probably 5+ years old. We may have a few kicking around at work so if anyone wants one send me a PM or email.

PeterBale

Staff member
carlwoodman said:
John Brooks said:

I'm sure Peter Bale will know for sure but I think the Bob Venables CD with B&R is on the Fletcher House label but is probably 5+ years old. We may have a few kicking around at work so if anyone wants one send me a PM or email.
Yes, I missed that one - that's what comes of originally indexing my SA stuff separately from the rest. The cd is entitled "Exultation" and features a number of cornet & trumpet solos, together with a couple of band items, including a fine rendition of "Shine as the Light", as well as David Childs playing "Pictures of Perfection", specially aranged for the recording by Michael Babb.

Solos played, in addition to the Cornet Concerto, are "Blessed Assurance", "I'd rather have Jesus", "Joyous Song", "Jubilance", "La Virgen de la Macarena", "Phantom of the Opera" and "Trumpet Call". There is some fine playing, and it made it all the more disappointing when Robert was featured soloist at the Albert Hall a few years back and had a nightmare. He was clearly not at all comfortable, and did not do himself justice. I hope we'll get the chance to hear him again some time to make amends.