The G Bass Trombone

Brasspenguin

Staff member
Gavin Dixon is curator of musical instruments at the Horniman Museum in South London. He is researching the G bass trombone and the story of its demise.

He is keen to find out how long this took, if G players switched to Bb or were replaced by Bb players, and whether any company apart from Boosey & Hawkes made G trombones in the second half of the 20th century. He would love to speak to some G players from yesteryear.

He would also be interested to speak to anybody who once played the instrument, is related to anyone who played it, or who remembers any details of its passing.

Please contact Gavin at: 07946 734480
or
GDixon@horniman.ac.uk

John Brooks

Gavin Dixon is curator of musical instruments at the Horniman Museum in South London. He is researching the G bass trombone and the story of its demise.

He is keen to find out how long this took, if G players switched to Bb or were replaced by Bb players, and whether any company apart from Boosey & Hawkes made G trombones in the second half of the 20th century. He would love to speak to some G players from yesteryear.

He would also be interested to speak to anybody who once played the instrument, is related to anyone who played it, or who remembers any details of its passing.

Please contact Gavin at: 07946 734480
or
GDixon@horniman.ac.uk

I believe Major George Whittingham (R) would be a great contact on this topic.

I still have the G trombone that Horace passed on to me, it's hanging on my garden fence, together with an EEb bass and cornet.

The sound produced on this instrument from a competent player
was a full, probably more "brassy" sound than modern instruments. Preference? I still think the old "G" has the edge on anything heard today, probably because manufacturers have made the bore too big. I have to admit that the trigger is an advantage over the "G" seventh position, especially when trying to play Song of Courage.

GW