baris - 1 male, 1 female
euphs - 2 males, both sporting moustache
tenor troms - 1 male, 1 female
bas trom - male with plenty of chest and facial hair
basses - all males, all huge, all good drinkers
perc - does anyone know for sure??

TIMBONE

flugel

This is a strange phenomenon indeed. My roots are not BB, and my knowledge of the flugel was in the jazz big bands, which are predominantly male. In my BB experience, I have played with five bands, four of which had a male flugel. That leaves one with a female flugel, and she was more 'male' in temperament than the other four put together!

skweeky

imho i think that a lady flugel player is far too nice and quiet. Sometimes this is good but not always.
A male flugel player is normally full sounding although no matter what the gender they normally are girlies!
(no offence to all you butch male flugel players)

Moy

skweeky said:
imho i think that a lady flugel player is far too nice and quiet. Sometimes this is good but not always.
A male flugel player is normally full sounding although no matter what the gender they normally are girlies!
(no offence to all you butch male flugel players)

You brave enough to tell YBS and Dyke that - Mr Doyle girlie and Helen from Fodens far too nice and quiet. mmmmmmmmm

deezastar

how come the best flugel players are men then?
John Doyle
Neil Hewson
Mark Walters (when he played flugel)
Stan Lippeat.

Yea there are good girls but the men are the best.

Moy

deezastar said:
na i reckon those lads would thrash any girl.

My opinion though.

Possibly but Helen is not into thrashing people. It must be because she is too nice and girlie!!!!! :lol:
Girls don't thrash people only guys do that. oooooooooooo

skweeky

if you took the best male flugel player in the world and the best female flugel player in the world i think the male would do better in the seat than the female

skweeky

i am kinda childish i apologise for being a 15 yr old child i should start trying to be something i am not to match up to all the adults standards in this very strict world we live in. :?

Honestly though John doyle is, out of all the players ive heard, the finest flugel player. And also the best bandsman around ever!! hes just amazin! But i dont take away the fact that flugel players both men and women are girlies!!

Moy

Nought wrong with being 15 was that once myself......a long long time ago though :wink:
Have you heard Ewan from YBS?
I think he and Helen are my favourites followed by James Chamberlain up here in Scotland and then John.
It's only a matter of taste and if I am going to be honest I've never heard John play live and could possibly change my mind after I have.

Anyway sorry for saying you were childish...it's Sunday afternoon and I have just finsihed my Sunday lunch and should really be having a kip before my band.
That's what we oldies do. :wink:

skweeky

im not offended at all :lol:
unfortunately i havent heard ewan maybe he takes the edge on john i honestly dont know i havent heard him :D