The Flugel is a Feminine Instrument

Accidental

Supporting Member
Re: Poppycock!!!

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Heck, even I disagree with that!!
But you have a tuba called Bessie - thats def. a girlie name!

I hate to disagree with Mr brand, but there's no way a flugel is more masculine than a BBb!!

So a Bb bass is femenine? that seems a bit odd.

What about a french horn, is it a hermaphrodite?

I agree with tenor horns being female, and i think flugel's are as well- they're flu-gel's not flu-men after all. (sorry couldnt resist)

jameshowell

Accidental said:
..... maybe thats because they know how to handle women right! After all its the instrument thats feminine, the player just has to know how to deal with it!

Agreed Accidental, definitely a feminine instrument, when compared to the likes of a BBb bass. But I think it's a special breed of bloke that plays it, one that knows how to tame a woman... :lol:

PeterBale said:
But what if you think of it as a young lady sitting in your lap for a couple of hours at a time :?: :wink: :lol:

And how could I not agree with peterbale :bounce

Keppler

Staff member
Okiedokie of Oz said:
No one said anything about the player!! We asked if the INSTRUMENT was feminine!!! In french is it le flugel horn or la flugel horn?

le bugle, I believe ;)

la bugle is a smelly plant - related to mint according to my research.. ;)

Dave Payn

Moy said:
OK guys and gals.
All instruments that point outwards are masculine and all instruments that point upwards (towards heaven) are feminine.
Now sure you can work that out....well apart from percussion. :wink:

However, next time a conductor wants a certain section of a band to rehearse a passage and asks to hear 'the horns downwards' you know that he's expecting Hell!

:)

Flugels are definately a feminine instrument!!!!!!

Soft and gentle but can be aggressive when needs be!!!

As for players, i think both men and women can play a flugel equally as well. Although you have to have something to play a flugel. You either have it or you don't and no matter whether you're a man or woman, if you haven't got it, it just won't work for you!

HBB

Well Our Flugal Player's a Bloke, and a scary looking one at that. So, no - it's not feminine?! :D

LauraGxx

That is an outrageous thing to say! in my band we do have a male flugel horn player and in our youth band a girl and this is no difference. you cannot say that an instrument is linked to a certain gender. but i have got to say E and b flat is a male instrument not just cos theyre big but ive neva eva seen a female player before!
good in your areas guys! x

Jo Elson

I'm slightly confised as to whether you're discussing whether the instrument is feminine or whether its females who play it. But although most flugel players, if not all of them are female, i have seen many a male flugel player. And the same goes for basses and trombones, generally they are played by males but i have seen and know females that do play these instruments.

Okiedokie of Oz

Mostof the flugel players I've seen have been blokes, but a mate told me that back in New Zealand the flugal player is usually both female, and a bit of a flirt :wink:

Supposedly the ability to make men drool is an auditioning factor down there!

flugelgal

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Mostof the flugel players I've seen have been blokes, but a mate told me that back in New Zealand the flugal player is usually both female, and a bit of a flirt :wink:

That's because it's such a sexy instrument, you have to be incredibly sexy to play it well :wink:

Possibly why I'm on cornet just now... :?

Kirsty

Jo Elson

But women weren't allowed to go to war. we only got some equality when the men went to war because there was no-one to do their jobs other than the ladies.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Okiedokie of Oz said:
quote]

Only usually.....does she grow a beard for the weekend??? :shock: :wink: