The Best Soprano Cornet Player

flugelgal

fitzy said:
Amen brother! Flugals run into the same problems from what I can gather. (I don't get to play flugal much)
Yep - once I get to know a piece well enough I know where I can take the odd bar or two (or even forty two) out so that I can save my poor wee delicate chops ;)

Griffin

"A nice fat round sound, with some exceptional soprano playing from Mark Fitzpatrick who in addition became the champion soloist for his weekend's efforts."

Nice One.

Im a little way off that yet. only been play a year and a half! Ive got London Overture (Sparke) coming up at Pontins. (Solo bit at piano top C!) should be a laugh!

fitzy

Griffin said:
"A nice fat round sound, with some exceptional soprano playing from Mark Fitzpatrick who in addition became the champion soloist for his weekend's efforts."

Nice One.

Im a little way off that yet. only been play a year and a half! Ive got London Overture (Sparke) coming up at Pontins. (Solo bit at piano top C!) should be a laugh!

Thanks Mate. I'm pretty chuffed with that! Good luck with "Lndon Overture"!

Yeah and the worst thing is that the top C is slurred for a G!!! AHHHHH
still possibly the hardest pieces for sop ive played on a contest stage was Passagalia for Brass, areas last year i think, think there was about 3 notes covered by the front row in the whole piece. It was all top B's at double piano!!!!
Nightmare!!!!!!!

fitzy

Harmony Music is one of the hardest I've ever played. It has some near impossible stuff in it!

Lester Piggot

Is Smedley better than the previous sop player (Femail) I thought she was ok cant understand why (comment deleted) . I saw that her husband has joined Brighouse so he must have been miffed obout it also

Please don't make unfounded allegations regarding players!!!

PB, Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Miss

Griffin said:

Nice One.

Couldn't hav said it betta, he's sounds even betta when he's sittin next 2 u (lucky me)

Griffin

fitzy said:
She is fantastic! It will be great to hear a classy sop player down here for a change. Most of the sops down here are a bit rough! :wink:
Is that just outward appearence? or sound?:wink:

fitzy

take your pick! ;) I'm no oil painting and neither are most of my fellow sops but my sound is ok i hope!!!!

Humphrey

Having had the pleasure of playing in the same band as messrs. Roberts, Wycherley, Hobbins and Crockford (not all at the same time of course); In my humble opinion the best sop player is: Steve Stewart (currently with Kirkie.)
He might be crazy (and he really is!) but he could do everything the afore mentioned could do and much more besides.
If he hadn't chosen a pro trumpet career and had dedicated himself to brass bands, we'd all have heard of him. Take him out of the equation and it just has to be Kev Crockford. Great player and great bloke!!!

eckyboy

Heard Alex Kerwin when she was at the Co and she was superb and the guy who has replaced her I believe,Gordon Jenkins,is also a fantastic player.

fitzy

Colin Clarke who will be playing sop with the NZ band Dalewool at the Open is not too shabby at all. He is an aussie after all ;)
He used to play with my band before he left for the land of the long white cloud.

Griffin

fitzy said:
Colin Clarke who will be playing sop with the NZ band Dalewool at the Open is not too shabby at all. He is an aussie after all ;)
He used to play with my band before he left for the land of the long white cloud.
Talking of which - have you played Phillip Sparkes - land of the long white cloud? I think we are playing soon and I think Sparky's got it in for Sop players (well me anyway! - think I must have upset him in a previous live or something!)

jamie the euph

i think the two best sop players around within a band performance are definiately paul argyle (fester) or pete roberts but at yourkshire area fester was by far the better man!

fitzy

Griffin said:
Talking of which - have you played Phillip Sparkes - land of the long white cloud? I think we are playing soon and I think Sparky's got it in for Sop players (well me anyway! - think I must have upset him in a previous live or something!)

I've played it. It's a bit tricky but his stuff like "Harmony Music" and even "Tallis Variations" have harder sop parts I rekon.