The Best Soprano Cornet Player

Dave Payn

skweeky said:
a few people are mentioning "i vote for such a body" or "so n so gets mu vote"

Is there a way to add a poll in now with all the afore mentioned names so we can actually vote??
As Mike Lyons hinted earlier, it perhaps depends on your criteria. Range? Technical ability? Tone quality? Stamina? Intonation? Domination by volume? A combination of some or all of those? I mentioned David King of the BBS era under Howard Snell. To my ears it's a toss up between him and Martin Winter as to the 'pound for 'pound' best player I've heard, (Purely personal taste, but I don't see the point of volume for volume's sake on any instrument but particularly sop)

Straitjacket size large, please.... ;-)

fitzy

Dave Payn said:
As Mike Lyons hinted earlier, it perhaps depends on your criteria. Range? Technical ability? Tone quality? Stamina? Intonation? Domination by volume? A combination of some or all of those? I mentioned David King of the BBS era under Howard Snell. To my ears it's a toss up between him and Martin Winter as to the 'pound for 'pound' best player I've heard, (Purely personal taste, but I don't see the point of volume for volume's sake on any instrument but particularly sop)QUOTE]

I agree.
A great sop player must be an all rounder. There are some good players around that have been mentioned in this discussion that have never played below and mf and are about as musical as a snail. I love hearing a sop with a beautiful sound right down to the quiet dynamics and is always played effortlessly. Being a sop player, that is what I always try to do. (I'm not sure how succesful I am at it though! ;-)

My vote would have to got with Geoff Hawley of Thoresby Band fame, the sound of Geoffs playing sends shivers down your spine and the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

My biased vote would have to be for our own sop player Trev Milner, my he can belt it out when the time is right.

skweeky

the deffinition of the best sop player to me is someone who can:
1) physically play every dot on the page
2) musically play every dot on the page
3) know when the time is right to make his or her own interpretation of the music
4) be able to play any note that confronts him/her (e.g from bottom F# to top E)
5) be able to play at ppp and at fff (and all in between obviously)
6) to change effortlessly between styles
7) to have a "brilliant" sound
8) to have almost 'everlasting' stamina

Bones

skweeky said:
3) know when the time is right to make his or her own interpretation of the music
4) be able to play any note that confronts him/her (e.g from bottom F# to top E)

9) Be called Pete Roberts

Aidan

skweeky said:
surely that isnt just for sop players :p
another addition to being the best would be knowing when to drop out / give it some...

brassneck

...... hmmmmm! No-one's mentioned Brian Evans on this thread yet. Superb consistency during his time as a player. I would not like to nominate him or some of the other 'greats' on here as 'the best' as each has their own qualities which has redefined sop. playing over time.

Griffin

Quote: (Originally Posted by skweeky)

I think that one of the fundamental skills of Sop playing is knowing what to leave out. It simply isnt necessary to play every note in a piece of music, knowing when and what not to play is the skill.

TuTuKu

Griffin said:
Quote: (Originally Posted by skweeky)

I think that one of the fundamental skills of Sop playing is knowing what to leave out. It simply isnt necessary to play every note in a piece of music, knowing when and what not to play is the skill.
I think i'm missing your point here, surely if the composer wants something played by the sop, he/she should play it. It's been written for a reason and so in my mind should be played ?!

Aidan

depends whether it sounds nice when its being played :) most composers dont have the advantage of having the players right in front of them when theyre composing..

fitzy

TuTuKu said:
I think i'm missing your point here, surely if the composer wants something played by the sop, he/she should play it. It's been written for a reason and so in my mind should be played ?!

If you have ever played sop you will know that if you played absolutely everything on the parts that are written, you would never get through a concert or contest. There isnt much point to playing a whole heap of stuff that the solo cornets or others already have. You have to pick and choose which bits to play and leave out. That is one of the hardest skills to learn when you start playing sop.

Griffin

At times, there is no point playing ff in a march for example,if your covered by the cornets - what im saying is it would be best to rest - then give it some at the end where there is usually a counter melody - different to the front row.
e.g. Punchinello, New Colonial, and particularly Army of't Nile.

TuTuKu

fitzy said:
If you have ever played sop you will know that if you played absolutely everything on the parts that are written, you would never get through a concert or contest
Ahhh so that's why our sop player appears to have endless stamina! :cool:

fitzy

TuTuKu said:
Ahhh so that's why our sop player appears to have endless stamina! :cool:

The problem we are getting now is that the composers are starting to wise up on these tricks so they are writting much more individual parts for sop! Its making my job a whole lot harder!!!! They musn't like sop players! (WEll we are all crazy ******s!)

johnflugel

I agree, playing every note on the page?...talk about an ideal world.

The best sop players will be 'physically' able to play everything on the page but why bother when you don't need to..naive to suggest you should play every note written, especially when it;s double/trebled up on the front chair.

fitzy

johnflugel said:
I agree, playing every note on the page?...talk about an ideal world.

The best sop players will be 'physically' able to play everything on the page but why bother when you don't need to..naive to suggest you should play every note written, especially when it;s double/trebled up on the front chair.

Amen brother! Flugals run into the same problems from what I can gather. (I don't get to play flugal much)

fitzy

Griffin said:
Right on Fitzy.
Phillip Sparke I think is a believer in giving the Sop a hard time. (well me anyway)

Mind you, I love playing the parts! Martin Ellerby is another for that. I have played "Tristan Encounters" and "Chivalry" this year and they both have great sop parts. I had a ripper of a time on "Chivalry" too! I even got a review on 4Barsrest! I nearly fell over!

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/cds/cd152.asp

Its not much but its a start!

Product tMP members are discussing