The Best Soprano Cornet Player

JR

best sop

Pete is still the best by some distance
I'd just like to mention several that I have worked with that are IMHO v underrated
Paul Argyle at Rothwell Temps (obviously)
Phil White at Newstead
Pete Wilson at Cottingham and EYMS when I was there
Darren Wood at S Yorks Police ex Hade Edge
Andrew Bannister now at Aveley and Newham ex Brighouse
not forgetting Jason Varley at United Co-op Yorks! - playing great at the moment
I'm bound to have missed someone...

John Roberts

flugelgal

Re: best sop

JR said:
Pete is still the best by some distance
I'd just like to mention several that I have worked with that are IMHO v underrated
Phil White at Newstead
Pete Wilson at Cottingham and EYMS when I was there
Darren Wood at S Yorks Police ex Hade Edge
Andrew Bannister now at Aveley and Newham ex Brighouse
not forgetting Jason Varley at United Co-op Yorks! - playing great at the moment
I'm bound to have missed someone...

John Roberts
I thought you were going to point out that to be a decent sop player your first name had to start with a P!!!

drummerboy

Personally, Peter Roberts every time. Anyone who's heard him on the Grimey Classic Brass album playing Florentiner March (if nothing else) will know why! But two really top sop players I've played in bands with are Steve Bailey and Steve Lee, the former being the craziest player ever to play soprano! Steve Bailey could certainly challenge Peter Roberts for 'best sop' seat - shame he's playing rep at Desford!

If we're going for unsung heros, then Kay McKenzie (formally of Sellers International) is a fantastic soprano player - keep eyes and ears open for that wee lassy !!

Peter Roberts is amazing... sometimes I listen to recordings of YBS though, and think he's *too* OTT. But that's just down to interpretation of the music, and there's still no doubt that he is out of this world!!

Sellers_Bird

I'll pass a vote for Wee Kay MacKenzie, having sat on the same backrow as her both in Uni band and Sellers for a few years.... She's defo one to watch out for! 8)

PC

If we are now talking about crazy sop players Steve Stewart of Kirkie is well up there! Top player as well but king of the Crazy horse gang! :lol: Former player who i considered to be an absolute star was a chick called Pauline Murphy well known in Scotland but unfortunatley now she is a footballers wife, unfortunate for us not her!!

LeDragon

drummerboy said:
Personally, Peter Roberts every time. Anyone who's heard him on the Grimey Classic Brass album playing Florentiner March (if nothing else) will know why!!
Yeah I totally agree - also his playing on Procession to the Minster on that album is amazing - it sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear it!

fitzy

Dave Payn said:
Ms Kerwin's up there too.... and her name doesn't begin with P! ;-)
She is fantastic! It will be great to hear a classy sop player down here for a change. Most of the sops down here are a bit rough! :wink:

mikelyons

Supporting Member
There are two other threads on this forum at the moment about who is the best Sop and the cornet player with the nicest sound. I wonder how many of the 'best' players mentioned use vibrato in everything they play or whether the level of vibrato varies depending on what they are playing.

I think good taste (if there is such a thing) should determine how much or how little vib is used, as well as the style of piece. You need different amounts depending on whether you are playing a fanfare or a romantic melody.

Over-use of vibrato by younger players can also lead to problems getting a clean start to notes. IMHO it's better to teach a young player to play without vib and then slowly introduce it as the music they play becomes more expressive. It's probably easier to introduce it later, rather than try to correct excessive habits after they have started.

Phil Green

Supporting Member
drummerboy said:
Steve Bailey could certainly challenge Peter Roberts for 'best sop' seat - shame he's playing rep at Desford!
Oh come on - please!! What planet are you on mate??

Steve's a good friend and a good sop player but he'd be the first to admit he couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Pete Roberts and Wych. He's a great instrumentalist but doesn't have the class - yet.

And he's only second in craziness to Steve Stewart! :)

I don't think some people realise how good these top players are! I'm constantly wow'd by the things that our best players can do. Just as there's a massive gap between the top 6 or so bands and the rest (and it is massive) there's an even bigger one between the top players and the rest of us.

When he's on song Wych is my favourite, he is just sheer class. Iwan Fox is a name no one has mentioned yet. If he lived in the north of England (and believe me people have tried to get him there) he'd be recognised as top 2 or 3 in the country.

fitzy

Phil Green said:
Iwan Fox is a name no one has mentioned yet. If he lived in the north of England (and believe me people have tried to get him there) he'd be recognised as top 2 or 3 in the country.
I heard a lot about him in New Zealand when I was over at their Nationals and everyone I spoke to said he was fantastic! Unfortunatly I didn't get to hear him play.

Tobin

PC -

"Former player who i considered to be an absolute star was a chick called Pauline Murphy well known in Scotland"

Totally agree with that one - top player

drummerboy

Phil Green said:
Oh come on - please!! What planet are you on mate??
Same as you, I think! :p

Phil Green said:
Steve's a good friend and a good sop player but he'd be the first to admit he couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Pete Roberts and Wych. He's a great instrumentalist but doesn't have the class - yet.
Not at the moment, but if he put in the work he could (well I reckon so anyway!) :p

Peter Roberts for me ..he's been at the top for so long!! First saw him at the CISWO Championships in Blackpool in 1969 playing with Grimethorpe! Tournament for brass was the test piece and George Thompson was conducting. However for showmanship and excitement give me Kevin Crockford.

JR said:
Another vote for this guy. Heard him at the last couple of Areas and he was fantastic.

Alan Wycherley is sublime though and for sheer hair-parting volume, Kevin Crockford always did it for me....not heard him for a bit though.

Wycherly deffo!! His style and volume is great. Blends in with the band, awesome tuning in all registers, doesnt overpower the band but pipes it out when required and his quiet high playing is breath taking!!
Roberts is amazing too as well, he makes it look effortless!!!

skweeky

a few people are mentioning "i vote for such a body" or "so n so gets mu vote"

Is there a way to add a poll in now with all the afore mentioned names so we can actually vote??