The bells...the bells...

fartycat

We've just started looking at Harrison's Dream for the Masters. I would be interested to find out what other bands are doing for the bell effects in the middle. I think we're going to use a set of crotales plus a few tubular bells thrown in for good measure...

Also, is it just me or does the piece sound remarkably like Short Ride in a Fast Machine by Adams. The woodblocks...the cornet rhythms...the loud shock notes on bass drum... :eek:

Keppler

Staff member
have seen it done on triangles. Never seen the score, or anyone else play it, so don't know if that is normal or not.

fartycat said:
Also, is it just me or does the piece sound remarkably like Short Ride in a Fast Machine by Adams. The woodblocks...the cornet rhythms...the loud shock notes on bass drum... :eek:

I have never heard a brass band version but was recently loaned a wind band recording. I did think the same thing, you are not alone!

Darth_Tuba

We haven't really looked at it yet, with Les Preludes the number one priority at the moment, so I have no idea what we're going to be using. I don't think I want to be hitting whatever it is with my mouthpiece as suggested on the part though :shock: When is someone going to write a piece where they need the sound of an Eb Bass player opening a can of Stella 10 bars from the end? :roll:

Keppler

Staff member
musical belch as the last solo note of the piece?

Disclaimer: Kepps in no way supports the potential abuse of beverage stemming from possible composition ideas based on this post. Blah de blah

Dave Euph

Heh, reminds me of a solo I had to play once and the style was marked aomething along the lines of ... "drunkenly"

Of course, a good excuse to start drinking before I start playing ... although would I be right in thinking we do that anyway? :D