The Bells of Peover

Accidental

Supporting Member
**BOC ALERT**

One of our cornets is very familiar with the recorded version of this (YBS Hymn of the Highlands) and has spotted that in bar 30, Stuart Lingard plays G-G-F-D but the printed part has G-G-D-B. Being a big YBS fan he's adamant its a misprint in the published version, but the guy playing the solo insists its right in terms of chord structure etc. :roll:

The million dollar questions are...... Why? and which one is right?
Possible explanations so far are:
1 it was recorded off manuscript and then misprinted at publication
2 either SL or DK changed it because they thought it sounded better
3 SL just played it wrong (unlikely!) and DK didn't notice (impossible?!!)

PLEASE could someone (Aidan??) settle the argument before we get fisticuffs in the middle of band practice and need to advertise for 2 new solo cornets! :lol:

Aidan

hey dont ask me, im just the horn player.
I'm sure stu or sheona will read this anyway

:shock: Does it matter?! LOL.... (no bitchyness intended :wink: ) I mean, either way it's absolutely beautiful when he plays it - I heard him at Gracie Fields Theatre in Rochdale a few months back and my heart was melting :shock: Why can't I play like that?! :evil:

BBBfYBS

Accidental said:
**BOC ALERT**

One of our cornets is very familiar with the recorded version of this (YBS Hymn of the Highlands) and has spotted that in bar 30, Stuart Lingard plays G-G-F-D but the printed part has G-G-D-B. Being a big YBS fan he's adamant its a misprint in the published version, but the guy playing the solo insists its right in terms of chord structure etc. :roll:

PLEASE could someone (Aidan??) settle the argument before we get fisticuffs in the middle of band practice and need to advertise for 2 new solo cornets! :lol:

I know Aiden is one of the biggest BOC's around at the moment, but surly not even he can be expected to answer such a boring question. And im sure Stu or Sheona wont be reading this as they will sat at home watching a blob of paint drying in the corner of their living room. you know something interesting!

sweatywainthrop

BBBfYBS said:
Accidental said:
**BOC ALERT**

I know Aiden is one of the biggest BOC's around at the moment, but surly not even he can be expected to answer such a boring question. And im sure Stu or Sheona wont be reading this as they will sat at home watching a blob of paint drying in the corner of their living room. you know something interesting!

What a nice reply from a member of YBS! You obviously have alot of better things to do yourself

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
BBBfYBS said:

Hmmm... I take it then BBBfYBS that you don't subscribe to 'watching a blob of paint dry' as an interesting subject seeing that you have taken the time to (1) read and (2) reply to this thread... :wink:

If you find such posts boring - why read them...? Perhaps you should go practice...:)

Moy

I thought that recording was one of the last that Iain Porthouse did before he was replaced.

Mind you could be wrong. :wink:

Accidental

Supporting Member
Hmmmm... not quite the response I was hoping for! Believe it or not this was a serious question - the recording inspired us to get the piece for our band, and I'm sure we're not the only ones who select music in this way. Knowing the recording well, the queried notation sticks out a mile, and I don't think its a bad thing to want to get it right. It does matter , otherwise I wouldn't have bothered asking.

I know we can't all be important or interesting enough to play in a name band, but that doesn't stop us wanting to get things right. Given the amount of cash we spend on CDs and concerts to hear better players and bands than ourselves, it would be nice to know you guys pay the same attention to detail too rather than simply disparaging others! :wink:

Having grown up in contesting bands and done all the grades, I was always taught that you should play the correct dots. Judging by the number of posts on these forums on similar subjects, especially after contests, I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one! The reason we wanted to clarify the correct notation isn't to prove wether or not Stuart Lingard plays the odd wrong note (because lets face it he's better than most of us put together, even when he's having an off day!) but to know which notes the composer intended to be played. I had also wondered if there was a non-boring reason for the difference!

oh and Moy, I checked and it is Stuart playing - not that it matters! :lol:

...... rant over

impycornet

Have you compared the recording to the Leyland 'East Coast Pictures' ?

I'm sure this was recorded prior to the YBS one, was recorded by the publishers & went to the composer prior to release?

I'm also sure that the soloist on that recording played the printed notes :lol:

fingers

Has anyone found out yet? Its confused our principal so much he played one note from each version the other day! And I'd love to know if wrong notes got past David King onto a recording! :shock:

Moy

Do you really think Kingie would miss wrong notes...........don't think so. :lol:

fingers

I am as interested as Accidental as I absolutely do not believe Prof King (In the library with the candlestick) :wink: would miss such an obvious and glaring change from the printed copy.

Hence I suppose the mystery......! I think its bigger than the Midsummer Murders...It could be even bigger than Who Shot JR (with apologies to our younger Tmpers). This whole thing could reach epic proportions...is there something sinister going on we all begin to wonder.

But seriously it is a little odd. Stuart's beautiful playing has led to the piece being played quite a lot and I have so far heard it played evenly between the two ways.

This could be quite Historic ...in 20 years time when someone says they are going to play the piece a fellow player might say...."Are you an advocate of the Lingard theory or are you a publishing error man?" :lol:

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WILL SOLVE THE MYSTERY or do I have to call in Scotland Yard !

Accidental

Supporting Member
Helloooo? Anyone out there?
I appreciate that lots of people think this whole question is unbelieveably pointless and/or boring.... but I would really appreciate it if somebody from YBS (Aidan? pleeeeeze) could ask so I can then settle our front row's pointless and boring argument! :lol:

Really enjoyed your concert in bournemouth last night btw.

drummerboy

I know it's a different solo, but same band and conductor (YBS and Prof King). On the CD Vitae Lux, the ending of Share My Yoke is changed from the bit of the phrase (D-B-B I think), to a long top G. Now whilst it is fantastic (no signs of faltering from Iwan Williams) it is different from the printed version. To be honest I'd just play what's on the copy, I'm sure it sounds just as good.