Thameside Youth Contest

Dolly

Member
dont worry theres no risk we'd rehearse on anyone else's account, just our own, we play to do our best and have fun doing it, not purely to beat other people.

that's odd because yb2k have been practicing for months

I was a bit more worried that some people have been practising that long
 
Dolly said:
dont worry theres no risk we'd rehearse on anyone else's account, just our own, we play to do our best and have fun doing it, not purely to beat other people.

that's odd because yb2k have been practicing for months

I was a bit more worried that some people have been practising that long

Why?
 

lizi

Member

Because surely boredom sets in after a few playings?

I know it does with me! I think bands (especially youth bands) peak with pieces,(ie start playin them well as a whole -not individuals and enjoyin it etc..)then they lose the enthusiasm 4 the piece!

I always worry bout playin pieces too much (hence the lack of personal practice!)-but shh dont tell any one cuz i dont think theyve noticed yet! :wink:
 

leisa

Active Member
lizi said:

Because surely boredom sets in after a few playings?

I know it does with me! I think bands (especially youth bands) peak with pieces,(ie start playin them well as a whole -not individuals and enjoyin it etc..)then they lose the enthusiasm 4 the piece!

I always worry bout playin pieces too much (hence the lack of personal practice!)-but shh dont tell any one cuz i dont think theyve noticed yet! :wink:

i agree!!! we've onhly been doin these pieces a week so hopefully that shouldnt have happened :) anyway good luck to everyone today!!
 

neiltwist

Active Member
leisa said:
lizi said:

Because surely boredom sets in after a few playings?

I know it does with me! I think bands (especially youth bands) peak with pieces,(ie start playin them well as a whole -not individuals and enjoyin it etc..)then they lose the enthusiasm 4 the piece!

I always worry bout playin pieces too much (hence the lack of personal practice!)-but shh dont tell any one cuz i dont think theyve noticed yet! :wink:

i agree!!! we've onhly been doin these pieces a week so hopefully that shouldnt have happened :) anyway good luck to everyone today!!


oh dear, you'll love national youth then leisa!
 
lizi said:

Because surely boredom sets in after a few playings?

I know it does with me! I think bands (especially youth bands) peak with pieces,(ie start playin them well as a whole -not individuals and enjoyin it etc..)then they lose the enthusiasm 4 the piece!

I always worry bout playin pieces too much (hence the lack of personal practice!)-but shh dont tell any one cuz i dont think theyve noticed yet! :wink:

fair enough.
 

drummergurl

Active Member
the adjudicator (Roy sparks i think) needs a hearing aid in my opinion, for he cannot tell the difference between a car horn and a trumpet/ cornet. i played a car horn in the 3rd bar of cartoon music by peter graham i think, and it says in the remarks for us that a trumpet/cornet (cant remember which it was) came in early in the 3rd bar!!! there is only me plays in the 3rd bar (i came in either on time or possibly slightly l8) and i am offended by being called a trumpet/cornet!!!
 

drummergurl

Active Member
the results (courtesy of 4bars rest!!)
Tameside Youth Brass Festival
Tameside Hippodrome
Sunday 30th November 2003

Adjudicator - Roy Sparkes

1 Smithills School Senior (Chris Wormald) (4) 182pts
2 Horbury Victoria (Tom Greatorex) (12) 181pts
3 Poynton Youth (Andy Hirst) (9) 180pts
4 St.Helens Youth (Lynda Nicholson) (1) 179pts
5 Stockport School Senior (Colin Duxbury)(7) 178pts
6 Youth Brass 2000 (Chris Jeans) (10) 177pts
7 Abraham Derby School (Wayne Ruston) (5) 176pts
8 Enderby Youth (Stewart Osgood) (2) 175pts
9 South East Cheshire Youth (Louise Renshaw) (3) 174pts
10 Tewit Youth (Malcolm Dibb) (11) n173pts

Withdrawn Dobcross Youth (Ted Griffiths)(8)
Withdrawn Wardle High Youth (Stuart Marshall)(6)

All bands were pre-drawn - First performance commenced 12:15hrs

Solo Prizes
Cornet – Rachael Pavey (Stockport School Senior)
Horn – Elizabeth Sawyer (Flugel) (Poynton Youth)
Euphonium – Elizabeth Pope (Horbury Victoria)
Trombone – Debbie Yu (Poynton Youth)
Best Basses - Smithills School Senior
Best Percussion - Horbury Victoria

Youngest Player Award
John Craven 9yrs (Horbury Victoria)

Festival administered for Tameside MBC by Lancashire Contests
 

lynchie

Active Member
ok, I'll admit it, smithills were the best band on the day (of the ones I heard, even though I only heard them through the door!) well done to them... although could they have stretched out that ending any more?? :wink:
 

neiltwist

Active Member
just heard about the remarks from my mum (which means they may be slightly biased), but I think there may have been a problem with where mr sparkes was seated; with regard to a trio: 'two excellent players cornet and euph'. This could be taken as a compliment by the two cornets as to their blending skills, but when it's in harmony...

definately something fishy going on.
 

lynchie

Active Member
well at one point in our remarks it did say "Good jazz break by Cornet and Trombone" only problem being it was a trio with a horn as well...
 

Heather

Member
I know Roy Sparkes very well and would say that he certainly knows his stuff.
I understand what you're saying but i can only think this is an oversight in writing his remarks.
 

leisa

Active Member
ah dopnt suppose it was too basd we were only practisin a week so im happy anyway and well done to pavey for winning best cornet!!!
 

leisa

Active Member
ps it was nice to meet steve21 in the bar and lynchie u are still sacked although if i could remember why it wouldf be a good thingn :p
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top