TEST PIECE SLOW MOVEMENTS

IYOUNG

Jimbaritone said:
I apologises if this has been debated recently, so tell me if it has and I will delete this. I was listening to Dove Descending this morning and oh my god that slow movement really does it for me. I think with Paggi Variations and Harrisons Dream, these 3 slow movements are the dogs watsits.

Jim Bari (no band at moment but negotiations are ongoing) watch this space.
No doubt in my mind that the Nativity section from Dove Descending is simply amazing. YBS performance at the Open now that was something special :bounce Ian Young ( new to the forum)

Hope to see some of you on Sunday at AEM

jonford

geordiecolin said:
Not a test piece either but the slow movement Appalachian Moutain Folk Song Suite is good.

oooh I like that piece, a bit cheesy sometimes but still a good one. Also agree with Rodger with the lento from the Horovitz euph concerto

neiltwist

my favourites are the slow bit from 'Triptych' by Philip Spark, and the slow movement from 'The Year of the Dragon', also by philip spark, and also the slow bits (based on 'all I ask of you') from 'The Phantom of the Opera'

Naomi McFadyen

Peter Graham's slow melodies are the best in my book and have the thumbs up from me!
Absolutly beautiful... I don't know many other composers who have got the talent Peter has.

blondie

I have to agree with you there about Peter Graham. The second mov't of Northern Landscapes entitled 'Seascapes' is just outstanding!!!!! Thats my favourite at the moment!

midwalesman

Slow and on the edge pieces...

For me the slow theme in Alderley Edge is awesome, not forgetting Essence of Time...but the two daddies of slow playing have to be the second movement of Pagentry especially with Mr McCann playing it, either with Dyke or more recently with B+R at Masters. Also one of the hardest slow movements to play is the slow movement of Contest Music....that top C#. I remember Mr McCulloch playing it at the Europeans at it was awesome!

Richard

Borfeo

I'm all for the middle movement of Year of the Dragon, Pagaentry's excellent too. Off the test piece track, the 2nd movement of Bourgeois Trombone Concerto is awesome, heard Lindberg play it, some experience.
Essence of time is very nice too, and I remember doing Tintagel in my younger days at the Scottish Championships, split every top Bb in the solo except the last one lol. Thank god we won :)

Mark B

Borfeo

I'm all for the middle movement of Year of the Dragon, Pagaentry's excellent too. Off the test piece track, the 2nd movement of Bourgeois Trombone Concerto is awesome, heard Lindberg play it, some experience.
Essence of time is very nice too, and I remember doing Tintagel in my younger days at the Scottish Championships, split every top Bb in the solo except the last one lol. Thank god we won :)

Mark B

Product tMP members are discussing