Tenor Horn cup mutes

Aidan

tip: ask Gerry to make sure they are felt-lined, takes some of the "mutey" edge from the sound.

nigeb12

We used tenor horn cups at Faireys years ago (not to play quiet btw) but they make a massive difference to the sound. They were Peter Gane I think

Brenda

Do you think, if they were lined with felt, they would have been able to fool a lone adjudicator at 25 metres?
£300 is a lot to spend if the cheat isn't going to work!!!

Rapier

Supporting Member
Just get everyone else to play louder, throughout the piece and then the horns will sound quieter in comparison. Genius. :)

Brenda

Problem is, all of us throughout our band can play really really quietly but we still can't match rivals who use the mute cheat. That's why we are thinking of splashing out on a set of cup mutes from BBb up to Flugel - if you can't beat 'em you gotta join 'em!!
Although, come to think of it, it would be a lot cheaper for everybody if the doorman at the side of the stage at each contest was given guidance so the cheats could be penalised.
Hey Presto! - a level playing field at no real cost to anyone (and the composer isn't getting dissed and the adjudicator isn't being made a fool of!)
Like tha's gonna happen innit!!

nigeb12

Do you think, if they were lined with felt, they would have been able to fool a lone adjudicator at 25 metres?
£300 is a lot to spend if the cheat isn't going to work!!!

I dont think so and you'd like to think that an adjudicator could spot it, I guess it depends on who it is in the box.

If you want to play quieter why not try a duster in or over the bell (loose of course) or a piece of cloth.

HBB

It's not hard. Just push yourselves to play quieter without cheating, this may require practice. Although it's even easier on upwards facing instruments. :confused:

Brenda

But what do you do if you know that your players are getting down to genuine ppp's and your rivals can pop in a mute and cheat out a sound quieter than air-conditioning?
(btw I've seen pics on 4br of your top end lowering their volume with discs of sponge or something ;))

Accidental

Supporting Member
Problem is, all of us throughout our band can play really really quietly but we still can't match rivals who use the mute cheat. That's why we are thinking of splashing out on a set of cup mutes from BBb up to Flugel - if you can't beat 'em you gotta join 'em!!
When did two wrongs ever make a right?
I just don't get the mute thing, sorry. Just my opinion, but maybe if more bands worked harder on the volume and quality of their quiet playing, less would feel the need to cheat in the first place - time to start a new trend perhaps?!

Maybe you can't match rivals-who-cheat on volume, but if you can play "really really quietly" like you say then its probably quiet enough, your sound quality will be much much better than people using mutes, and you know you're playing what the composer intended. And if you think you need to be quieter, then just keep working on it - that's what will make you a better band and yield better results, not short-cuts with mutes. (imho)

HBB

But what do you do if you know that your players are getting down to genuine ppp's and your rivals can pop in a mute and cheat out a sound quieter than air-conditioning?
(btw I've seen pics on 4br of your top end lowering their volume with discs of sponge or something ;))

But we're talking about tenor horns. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you put in the bell, the instrument is going to sound drastically different; and we don't have the luxury of bucket mutes!

PeterBale

Staff member
It's not hard. Just push yourselves to play quieter without cheating, this may require practice. Although it's even easier on upwards facing instruments. :confused:

Or you could clways get a set of the old American backwards-facing marching ones ;)

Brenda

When did two wrongs ever make a right?
I just don't get the mute thing, sorry. Just my opinion, but maybe if more bands worked harder on the volume and quality of their quiet playing, less would feel the need to cheat in the first place - time to start a new trend perhaps?!

Maybe you can't match rivals-who-cheat on volume, but if you can play "really really quietly" like you say then its probably quiet enough, your sound quality will be much much better than people using mutes, and you know you're playing what the composer intended. And if you think you need to be quieter, then just keep working on it - that's what will make you a better band and yield better results, not short-cuts with mutes. (imho)

I don't disagree with a word of what you've written. It's just frustrating as **** to see rivals getting away with cheating ALL the time!!!!! There's just no incentive to be honest so we're gonna cheat from now on!!!! (maybe;))

Rapier

Supporting Member
There are Denis Wick wooden tenor horn straight mutes on Ebay at 39.95 each ( they have 10 for sale)

Brenda

There are Denis Wick wooden tenor horn straight mutes on Ebay at 39.95 each ( they have 10 for sale)

Can't see how straight mutes could fool an adjudicator. Think they would have to be cups or even buckets. Still can't get onto that bucket mute site.
What's been really interesting, though, is that nobody has said it's wrong to cheat!!

Rapier

Supporting Member
I've played in contests where it said Horns muted, but as we didn't have any we played open, but quietly. Suppose that's cheating too? ;)