Temperance Bands

Brian Bowen

It appears that to many on the forum, drinking brings as much (if not more) pleasure as playing does. Are there any genuine temperance bands left? You see the word attached to some band names, but I wonder if it's just an anachronism.

johnflugel

Rothwell are 'Temperance' in name only :oops: - I think I am the only 'dry' one amongst them!

I am constantly amazed how the conversation on here manages to find it's way to drink. I have no issues with anyone drinking whatsoever (it's just not for me) but think it is a shame and sign of the times when some people cannot have fun without having some drinks inside them.

TMp would certainly make an interesting subject of a sociology and recent government policy debate!

Trigger

I may be showing my complete and utter ignorance here, but I never heard of a bnad that doesn't drink!!

Although it would appear that I am permantly plastered, in actual fact, I only really drink on actual banding events e.g contests and social events. I rarely drink after band rehearsal, (with the exception of the last two rehearsals) and I don't drink after concerts. I have a brilliant time at rehearsal and I love playing. I don't need to drink to have a good time, just find it helps. -I should stop really, it makes me far too honest!! :lol:

Steve

lynchie said:
I believe Raunds are a Temperance band, and if any of them DON'T drink I'd be amazed...

From what I have learnt during my time in Raunds Temperance Band the 'Temperance' part has been modified from the old, very strict set of rules to those slightly more in keeping with the modern style of life/banding. Raunds Temperance is not about being a total abstainer but now works on the basis 'everything in moderation'. Drinking before/during performance is still out, smoking/excessive swearing in the rehearsal room is still frowned upon as is poor attendance and a lack of pride when on display to the public. Although not in the mould of the original temperance band, Raunds are very proud to be one of the few remaining and do stick to the adapted rules as much as is possible.

Dave Euph

I don't drink after rehearsals, usually because the guy who gives me a lift to the bandroom needs to pick up his son from work, but also because sometimes I want to go home and just rest (or finish assignments :)).

drummergurl

i am the thickest person here??? i dont know what temperance means!

anyhoo following suit of a few ppl b4 me, i only drink on contests (for obvious reasons and also coz im only 14!)

PeterBale

Staff member
There's a link here to a site giving some background to the Temperance Societies, and their roots in the Methodist movement of the 1800's:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REtemperance.htm

It should be remembered that at that time water supplies were not always reliable, tea and coffee were more or less reserved for the better-off and gin was very cheap. Although the Temperance movement is most commonly thought of as being concerned with drink, they campaigned for temperance (ie moderation) in other areas as well.

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Congrats Steve on a well-deserved 2nd place on Saturday, nearly ended up in the Greyhound afterwards but decided to head back home to the local instead.
I can certainly vouch that Raunds were drinking afterwards! Loads of nice local ales in the Cottage Inn :)

Brian Kelly

WorldofBrass.com said:
Didn't Wingates used to be known as Wingates Temperance?

Indeed they did, for many years until the late 1970's, when they became the plain Wingates Band. Then, from one extreme to the other, they got a sponsorship deal from Bass Breweries to become the Bass Wingates Band (I think it was in the early 1980's). As a result of this sponsorship, the Victoria Hall, the large Methodist Mission in Bolton town centre which had hosted many Wingates concerts down the years, would not allow Wingates to play there any more. It caused quite a commotion in the Bolton Evening News as I recall.

A few years later, the deal with Bass Breweries ended and the band got a new deal with British Aeropace, and the band was allowed back into the Victoria Hall (they still play there now, although Wingates are currently without a sponsor). As a letter in the Bolton Evening News remarked at the time (not by me), it seemed strange to ban a band from playing in a church because of its sponsorship by a brewery, yet the same band was perfectly acceptable when sponsored by a major arms manufacturer.

akwarose

theres a couple of us that go up after rehearsals. i do enjoy goin, but dont get to that often, coz my dad works nites but when he has the week off its fun. i dont drink that often, only if we win contests really, coz i'm still underage :(
i think that although banding is about playing music, and performing or wotever, but i think its important for people to remember the social aspect of playing as part of a group, which may or may not include drinking.... as long as your not plastered during a concert/rehearsal/contest!

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Wigston were a temperence band up until about 10 years ago. We dropped the temperance from our name because we found that we were loosing engagements because of it (is that a sign of the times or what? :roll: ). There was a lot of soul searching over the name change at the time if I remember correctly, after all, we had been know as Wigston Temperance for 90-odd years, and were one of a diminishing number of bands who at least had roots in the temperance movement. Even if they didn't practice the philosophy fully! :D

Steve

tewkeshorn said:
Congrats Steve on a well-deserved 2nd place on Saturday, nearly ended up in the Greyhound afterwards but decided to head back home to the local instead.
I can certainly vouch that Raunds were drinking afterwards! Loads of nice local ales in the Cottage Inn :)

Thanks, did we meet? I can honestly say that i have no recollection of most of the day, everything in moderation and all :roll:

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
May have done, I was just hanging out with Dan Slater who used to play Bass Trom with Raunds I think and got introduced to a load of people I can't remember now!