Temperamental by Fendall Hill

John Brooks

I like it and wonder what a band would make of it. Sounds like a lot of sustained playing in the bass line, particularly at around 3+ mins where I particularly liked the organ sound, and also with the "O Sacred Head" chorale in the second movement where the solo line is in a higher register as well as sustained phrases. Bottom line though, I enjoyed the listen.

Fendall

Interesting work Fendall. I hear a lot of quotes from the famous Toccata and Fugue in Dm in it.
Yep, the whole piece started because I had 4 bars at the end of the fugue in my head, other key pieces are the St Matthews Passion, and two Preludes.

Way beyond my lot. I would have a revolt if I put that up. It doesn't have that "thing" which I find runs through popular classical music which is predictability, you can usually guess where good music goes next even if its the first time you have heard it. Its one hell f a test for BBb bass screeching round where Euphoniums usually operate but of you want to make players make mistakes to separate the brilliant instrumentallist from the merely supremely competent I suppose that's what's needed. Very strange harmonies though that may be lousy reproduction. But don't let me put you off. Its better than anything I have ever composed.

Fendall

Way beyond my lot. I would have a revolt if I put that up. It doesn't have that "thing" which I find runs through popular classical music which is predictability, you can usually guess where good music goes next even if its the first time you have heard it. Its one hell f a test for BBb bass screeching round where Euphoniums usually operate but of you want to make players make mistakes to separate the brilliant instrumentallist from the merely supremely competent I suppose that's what's needed. Very strange harmonies though that may be lousy reproduction. But don't let me put you off. Its better than anything I have ever composed.
Thanks for taking the time to give that feedback David, much appreciated. Many of the chords and progressions are actually entire Bach pieces, but I guess he was pretty unpredictable with where he was heading. I’m intrigued about the “screeching Bb Basses like euphos” comment, apart from the solo, the part rarely goes above D on the stave, still low D for a eupho. It was my first major work, and probably my later works don’t have the flair and unpredictability of Bach, but I’m hopeful . But honestly, so grateful that you took the time to have a listen David.

Fendall

David, it was really refreshing to get your honest assessment of Temperamental, and I really appreciated it. Overnight, I was wondering what you would make of the piece I wrote immediately after it, especially considering your feedback... but only if you are inclined, and have the time:

simonium

I really enjoyed that. I will listen again on something other than a smart phone, when my wife isn’t asleep. That’s a whole discipline a lot of bands won’t have and therefore is very valuable.
I’ll report back when I have another listen but initially sounds extremely intriguing.