Teaching a music lesson

I have to write a music lesson plan for children in primary school so i thought i'd ask if anyone knows any really good fun songs that you can sing to teach rhytm or beat??

Any suggestions would be brill.

(but no rude ones from the backs of buses thanks - you know who you are mr Howe! they don't go down too well :) )

thank you!!
:D

Okiedokie of Oz

dinah is always good for ostinatos....

AS a general lower grade tool, teach rhythms with canons/rounds. The rhythms always start off simple and develop.

Naomi McFadyen

Depending on the age (I'd say year 3 is a good group to do this with), one simple thing to do to start off with before getting into songs, is to use the pupils names for rhythm...
Simply say and clap your name, then get the pupils to copy...

Mine for instance...
Na-o-mi Cor-nish
would be 2 quavers (for Na-o)
then 3 crotchets for the rest (mi Cor-nish)

Then try getting 2 or 3 pupils to clap their rhythms at the same time... That'll get 'em ;-)

louise0502

Naruco said:
Depending on the age (I'd say year 3 is a good group to do this with), one simple thing to do to start off with before getting into songs, is to use the pupils names for rhythm...
Simply say and clap your name, then get the pupils to copy...

Mine for instance...
Na-o-mi Cor-nish
would be 2 quavers (for Na-o)
then 3 crotchets for the rest (mi Cor-nish)

Then try getting 2 or 3 pupils to clap their rhythms at the same time... That'll get 'em
I remember doing that when i started senior school, in year 7!

asteria

I'm guessing by your name you've already found the 'sing for pleasure' books! Well worth it for anyone doing kiddies singing - i said a boom-chicka-rocka-chick-rocka-chicka-boom :D Ah the memories!

drummergurl

Helen V said:
I'm guessing by your name you've already found the 'sing for pleasure' books! Well worth it for anyone doing kiddies singing - i said a boom-chicka-rocka-chick-rocka-chicka-boom :D Ah the memories!
i did that in primary school! we also did, who took the cookie from the cookie jar, the name thing we did in about year 7 and also my teacher made us sing our names for the register, so shed sing our names and wed have to sing "yes miss" to woteva tune or melody we wanted back to her

What are the word to the cookie jar one i sort of rememebr that one..

These are all excellent suggestions thanks... i gotta get a first for this!!!

Got any good suggestions for an Art lesson.. no ok.. worth a try :)

Thanks again,
I'll let you all know what grade i get for it
:shock:

Okiedokie of Oz

tutti
Who stole the cookies from the coo-ookie jar?
**Roger** stole the cookies from the coo-ookie jar!
solo Who me?
tutti Yes you!
Solo It couldn't be!
tutti then who stole the cookies from the coo-ookie jar!!??