Symphonic Dances from West Side story arranged for BB?

GurCriSt

My band is planning to play WSS by Bernstein at this entertainment contest in Norway just after easter. I have problems finding a good transcription on the net. Can anyone here help maybe? We're a championship band so we're not really interested in rookie deHaske arr's ;)

Sincerely
Thomas Kristiansen
Percussion/Ila Brass Band

AndyCat

West Side Story

Eric Crees has done a great arrangement of the "Symphonic Dances". It's quite long, but can easily be cut. We're playing it with Faireys next weekend, and it's on an old Desford Recording called "Showcase". It's hard though!
Hope this helps,

Andy Cattanach, BBb Bass , Faireys.

GurCriSt

Can u provide a link/adress/phone# to the publisher? And do you know if this arrangement can be used by other ppl than the arranger himself?
I hope its hard.. I'm really tired of looking through shitty deHaske stuff ;)

Thanks

Thomas
Perc, IBB

PeterBale

Staff member
I've just been looking at the recording of Eric Crees's arrangement played by Black Dyke at the 1996 Open, and it is listed on the sleeve as being on manuscript, rather than a published arrangement. I realise things might have changed since then, so you may well be best to contact someone at Faireys if they are playing it currently.

AndyCat

I checked the part on Tuesday at rehearsal, and there is no publisher on it, although it is a properly printed part. I've played it at other bands as well though,and on the Desford record it has Chappell music as the publisher. Perhaps try them?

Andy Cattanach, Faireys.

West Side Story

its on egon cd, highlights from the british open ( 1996)
its arranged by eric cree's ? and publisher m/s but i dont know who that is?

GurCriSt

Thanx for all replies. I can't find anything on Chappells webpages tho. I'll try to get Mr. Cree's email or something. Btw.. What kinda publisher is M/S anyways? Is that like a "published by me and not a firm" term?

HBB

Roger Thorne said:
M/S stands for Manuscript Copy (Hand-written Score and Parts)

:wink:

Typical music publishers! Can't they make anything simple ?!

Surely a better abrieviation for a Manuscript Copy would be M/C!!!!

Roger Thorne

Hi Ben,

Manu - Script = M/S

Music Publishers are spot on! - It's Cornet players that make life difficult!

Glad you've got rid of the flashing Trumpet :lol:

HBB

Roger Thorne said:
Hi Ben,

Manu - Script = M/S

Music Publishers are spot on! - It's Cornet players that make life difficult!

Glad you've got rid of the flashing Trumpet :lol:

Tell you what, we'll make a compromise! How about M/S/C (manu-script-copy!!!)

ANd I'm NOT a cornet player, one of my personalities is, but I'm really a Tenor Horn (well I'm human apparently!)