SYBB Reunion Update

JessopSmythe

Just got back home from a great day with the Shropshire Youth Brass Band, past and present with players spanning the 30 years the bands been running. It was great to meet up with all the old crew and the concert in the evening was pretty fun to. The sound was awsome,

6 Basses,
8 Troms (inc 3 Bass Troms :D "
3 Euphs
4 Bari's
12 Horns (I think)
4 Flugels
and a small army of cornets

I proudly wore my tMP membership and managed to get the conductor to plug the site. Quite a few people came up to me through the day and wanted to know more about the site so I'll look forward to seeing them on here soon.

If any of you do read this, pass on my thanks to Mike, Dave & Becky for a great day. Look forward to seeing you all at the next one.

blondie

I'm with you on that Mike, it was a good blow, even if i did end up on 1st bone. Playing principal again 7 years after you have left is a funny feeling. And my lips still sore. Nice to see some old faces (even if some of them were younger than us!!)

bigmamabadger

Glad to hear it was a good day. I kind of wanted to go, but it was too hot, I couldn't think of many people who'd be there that I wanted to meet, and I had a hangover. :oops:
Pathetic excuses I know and I'm really sorry. Maybe I'll go to the 40th... :roll:
Anyway, who else was there except Jessop and Blonde?

blondie

I think there were only Cathering Evans and Corinne Chidley that you would have known BMB. Mike Denny put in a brief bit of conducting, and Richard White attended. But for Dave sending out 200 letters and only 30ish people turning up, I can only say it could have been better attended.

bigmamabadger

30/200 isn't such a good result... maybe it was the wrong time of year? People start going on holiday around now.
I'd have liked to see Catherine again, not seen her since we went to Switzerland really. See Corrine a bit when I go home.
How about Richard Tudor? Jock McKenzie? Greg McEwan? Little sop player from Ifton whose name I've forgotten? Alison Stephens? Surely Mrs Roger turned up in her previous incarnation as Salliann Johnson?
What did you play?
bmb

blondie

I was playing principal bone as M.H J-S was present, so no point in having two bass bones. Only did it coz Grand Emporor Dennis Smith (W.C & Chain) wasn't there.

I think that rachael is playing for Wrexham, last time I was there she was.

super_sop

Supporting Member
blondie said:
I think there were only Cathering Evans and Corinne Chidley that you would have known BMB. Mike Denny put in a brief bit of conducting, and Richard White attended. But for Dave sending out 200 letters and only 30ish people turning up, I can only say it could have been better attended.
Would that of been Catherine evans from porthwaen by any chance?

mightytuba

No afraid not!! :? just a neutral observer, who has played for various bands, and supports the activitys of the future of the brass movement.
It must surely raise concern when the attendance figures vary so massively?? :roll:

Roger Thorne

Having been a member of this band on its inception and talking to people who have played with the band since, it doesn't surprise me that no more than 30 people turned out for the reunion. A lot of people who have played in this band over the years don't recall their times there as 'happy'.
I know when I joined along with some other 'brass band' players, we were seen as the 'riff-raff', and never treated the same as others who also played in the Wind Band, Concert Band and Orchestra.
There was also a strict policy that you only played in the 'Schools Band' and didn't play for any other local band. (a policy I think still exists!)

I'm not at all surprised that there's not much affection for this organisation.

:wink:

blondie

Yes Craig, Catherine Evans from Porth-y-Waen.

Thats a great photo Neil, I only wish ours had been like that.

Unfortuneately it transpires that there was little preparation time or notice for people to attend which is a great shame.

I think that you will always get players that have been unhappy where ever they have played, but a certain 'MD' did have a bad rep. I don't think that is strictly the case in principal/policy Rog, but I do think with hind-sight, that 'we' were all actively encouraged to take up as many places in more than one band, leaving little time to play further afield. I know I would have never come to Wem unless Piers had brought me!!

JessopSmythe

Roger Thorne said:
There was also a strict policy that you only played in the 'Schools Band' and didn't play for any other local band. (a policy I think still exists!)

I think that policy has died out. They did attempt to enforce it when I was a member and met with a very sharp 2 word response :)

Besides, the current MD, conducts at least one other local band and often relies on SYBB players for deps

bigmamabadger

Roger Thorne said:
Having been a member of this band on its inception and talking to people who have played with the band since, it doesn't surprise me that no more than 30 people turned out for the reunion. A lot of people who have played in this band over the years don't recall their times there as 'happy'.
I know when I joined along with some other 'brass band' players, we were seen as the 'riff-raff', and never treated the same as others who also played in the Wind Band, Concert Band and Orchestra.

I'm not at all surprised that there's not much affection for this organisation.

:wink:

See, it's not just me! We were definitely still riff-raff and plebs when I was there. The policy on not playing for other bands was beginning to relax during my time so long as you didn't play for a good band. I was allowed to play for Stiperstones who weren't, in those days.
And all the conductors and musical directors were mad. Literally. Except Dave. Who is cool. 8)
bmb vindicated....