Supplied percussion at contests.

jfenwick

supplied percussion at contests

In northern landscapes we were given the set up a week before the contest and it proved a major problem in playing and we werent allowed to bring anything except if we wished a side drum, but I'm not bringing my bands.
I remember one of my section took our own woodblock and we were told to take it off stage!!!!!!!!! I don't see a point to this.
His was plastic and ours is wooden, so they made different sounds

geordiecolin

bagpuss said:
Just referring back to the point made about percussionists moaning all the time. I don't think that's quite true. But in any case, even if it is, try replacing a tuba players instrument just before they go on stage and see what sort of reaction you get from them. I'm sure it would be similar to the 'moaning' you are getting from me

Bagpuss

Either that or a smack in the teeth!! :hammer :lol:

There has to be a degree of commonsense applied. I can see why percussion is provided, some bands can't physically afford timps etc or e able to transport them. If you're going to use the other instruments analogy, what would happen if a EEb Bass players bass was locked in the bus and the bus driver had gone AWOL (a la ASDA Stocksbridge at Pontins last year, my bass just missed out on being part of a 7th placed performance because the bus driver came back!) i would imagine that he would ask around and probably borrow one, he wouldn't be expected not to play. since percussion problems are more common, instead of lumbering several bands with the task of supplying everyone else with percussion, it is provided for them.

However, i can see no reason why you shouldn't use your own percussion if you have it though and can set it up in the 4 minutes.

Brian

Supplied Perc

Done it, been there, got the tea shirt and the flaming drum stick..If the instrument or player (s) are not there, you play without them or not as the case may be..Bus drivers gone away, players stuck in the lift, percussionists lost a tinkle or some other very important piece of his kit,it's just tough shi.....Seriously as a conductor, and player who has worked with some excellent percussonists, the reason percussion was supplied at the Area Contests in the first place was at the behest of the bands themselves..Some who had not got all the equipment, some whose equipment was poor or worse,and the most important reason to try and limit the time some were taking to set up....and ten minutes was not unusual the year they decided to wave the time limit, hence the contest finished very late, which incurred extra cost to the Area Contest Account, and to individual bands not getting back to the East Coast till the early hours of the morning...Hence the situation you have now, p.s. I hear it has been suggested by one Area not to use percussion at next years Contest, so you will have no problems about playing equipment that you are not familiar with.....

PeterBale

Staff member
Re: Supplied Perc

Brian said:
p.s. I hear it has been suggested by one Area not to use percussion at next years Contest, so you will have no problems about playing equipment that you are not familiar with.....

That's all very well, but what about the bands with permanent percussionists who turn up to rehearsal week in and week out? I wonder what the reaction would be if they decided on a test piece with no euphonium parts instead - I'm sure everyone would soon be up in arms.