Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 27 January 2019 - A Tribute to Roy Roe

ChrisHelme

Hello Brass Banders

It was announced in the last couple of week's that Roy Roe the wonderful soprano cornet, adjudicator and band trainer sadly passed away. To read the story I wrote about Roy back in 2003 please have a look at the obituary section of The Mouthpiece where I posted the story unedited from when I wrote it 16 years ago.

On the show is a segment which is dedicated to the memory of Roy and some of his performances with the Band of the Yorkshire Imperial Metals during the halcyon days of the 1970s, a real purple patch for the band. I have included five pieces including the band's signature march Yorkshire Imperial written by Sam B. Wood.

In addition to this tribute I have on lots of good music, bands and of course some wonderful soloists.

Enjoy the show...

Playlist 27 January 2019
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
Amsterdam Harbour - A.E.Kelly Brass Band De Waldsang (The Netherlands) MD: Rieks van der Velde - 2001
Isaiah 40 - Robert Redhead Grimethorpe Colliery Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 2001
Novelty: Faithless Hussar Harry Mortimer's All Star Brass MD: Harry Mortimer
A Time for Peace from The Essence of Time - Peter Graham Tenor Horn Soloist Sheona White with the Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: David King - 1996
Imaginations - Andrew Pearce Brass Band Spijkerpakkenband (The Netherlands) MD: Erik Janssen - 2013
Dragons Arise - Philip Wilby Williams Fairey Band MD: Bryan Hurdley - 1998
Circus - 1) Rope Walker 2)Pierrot 3) Juggler - Huug Steketee C Trumpet & Piccolo Trumpet Soloist Huug Steketee accompanied by Ilone Kieft playing the Harp - 1997
Main Theme (From "Chaplin") - John Barry arr: Goff Richards Vibraphone Soloist Andrea Crossley with the Black Dyke Band MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 2008
Kabalagala - Alan Fernie Scottish Borders Youth Band MD: Alan Fernie - 2017
Yorkshire Imperial Metals March – Sam B. Wood The Band of Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band MD: Trevor Walmsley DFC -
Checkmate - Sir Arthur Bliss arr: Eric Ball The Band of Yorkshire Imperial Metals MD: Denis Carr - 1979
Summertime - George Gershwin arr: Fred Muscroft ? Soprano Soloist Roy Roe with the Band of the Yorkshire Imperial MD: Trevor Walmsley DFC - 1973
Two of the Tops - John R. Carr Soprano Soloist Roy Roe - Cornet Soloist Philip Denton with the Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band MD: Denis Carr - 1979
The Tops - T.J.Powell Cornet Quintet with the Band of the Yorkshire Imperial Metals MD: Trevor Walmsley DFC - 1972
National Emblem - Edwin Baguley arr: Fred Muscroft ? The Band of Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band MD: Trevor Walmsley DFC - 1972
Prelude, Toccata and Fugue - Graduation Day - Philip Sparke
Salford University Band MD: David King - 1997
Begin the Beguine - Cole Porter arr: Derek Broadbent Canny Brass (Switzerland) MD: Rene Wholgensinger - 2018
Swedish Hymn - Traditional arr: Peter Graham Flugel Horn Soloist Iwan Williams with the Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: Dr. David King - 2005
Highlights from Jesus Christ Superstar - Andrew Lloyd Webber arr: Alan Fernie Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: Gavin Lindsay - 2007
Comedians Galop - Dmitri Kabalevsky Hammonds Sauce Works Band MD: Geoffrey Whitham
Les Toreadors from the Carmen Suite - Bizet arr: Frank Renton Kirkintilloch Band MD: Frank Renton
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Don't forget if you have a request or question about the world of brass bands you can always contact me through my email: bandstand@chrishelme.org.uk

Chris