Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 19 January 2020

ChrisHelme

Hello Brass Banders

Welcome to another two hours of brass band music from Sunday Bandstand my weekly programme. The show has now been running since December 2007 and is attracting more listeners each week. Looking at the map where the listeners are tuning in via my Mixcloud link, for a few weeks now there have been a number of listeners in the United Arab Emirates. We even had a few listeners just before Christmas in Peru and China. The show does go out to eight UK community radio stations and four community stations in Australia, New Zealand, France and Italy. Many are now choosing to receive the show link direct to their computers which I send via a licensed link and the subscriber (free) receives the show every Sunday night or Monday morning at the latest (except when I am away on holiday or ill). If you would like to receive the weekly link please contact me on my email: bandstand@chrishelme.org.uk

Time for the show now listen out for Michael Lind the Swedish master tuba player......... wow.

Michael Lind has played in the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra since 1977 and was a member of the Philharmonic Brass Ensemble. As a musician he has performed worldwide with many famous musicians and has recorded numerous CDs from classical works to jazz. He has taught at Indiana University in the United States and is known worldwide as a teacher and soloist.

His first recording, issued on the Four Leaf Clover Records in 1979, as observed by one reviewer that Michael’s recording of the famous “Carnival of Venice” … comes off as Mr. Clean — I’ve never heard such impeccable technique anywhere else — on any brass instrument.”

On this week's show we have a 1979 recording of Michael playing Carnival, a fabulous performance accompanied by Besses o' th' Barn Band conducted by Roy Newsome.

Playlist 19 January 2020 Recording Details
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke​
Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010​
'Patrons' Choice III' - CD - Egon CD-SFZ154 - 2010​
Simoraine March - Clive Barraclough​
Britannia Building Society Band MD: Howard Snell - 1995​
'March Spectacular' - CD - Obrasso Recording CD849 - 1995​
Oregon - Fantasy for Brass Band - Jacob de Haan​
Brass Band Oberaargauer (Austria) MD: Manfred Obrecht - 1997​
Crazy Little Things' - CD - Obrasso Recording CD 865 - 1997​
Fanfares, Lyrical and Heroical Themes - John Williams​
Cornet soloist Florian Klinger with the Brass Band Froschl Hall (Austria) MD: Hannes Buchegger - 2014​
'Crystal Glass' - CD - 2014​
Serenade for Trombone - John Golland​
Trombone Soloist Brett Baker with the Black Dyke Band MD: Professor Nicholas Childs - 2018​
'Contrasts - Original works for Solo Trombone and Brass Band ' - CD - SP&S DOY 383 - 2018​
I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady - Lerner and Loewe arr: Mark Freeh​
Virtuosi GUS Band MD: John Berryman - 2009​
'A Mingled Chime' - CD - Harlequin Recording HAR1130CD - 2009​
Somewhere Out There from An American Tail - James Horner and Barry Mann arr: Darrol Barry​
BNFL Band MD: Richard Evans - 1994​
'Roman in Brass Vol. 2' - CD - 1994​
Darkness Visible - Richard Grantham​
Brass Band de Waldsang (The Netherlands) MD: Rieks van der Velde - 2009​
'Darkness Visible' - CD - Lake Music Publications LMP 2009.01 - 2009​
The Cup Of Life (Official Song Of The 1998 World Cup) - Robi Rosa arr: Ray Farr​
Trumpet Soloist Steve Waterman with the Reg Vardy Band MD: Ray Farr - 2006​
'Cool' - CD - Sforza SFZ132 - 2006​
Entry of the Huntresses from Sylvia - Leo Delibes arr: Roy Newsome​
IMI Yorkshire Imperial Band MD: James Scott - 1989​
'Pageantry' - CD - Polyphonic Recording QPRL 040D - 1989​
Of Distant Memories (Music in an Olden Style) - Edward Gregson​
Eikanger Bjorsvik Musikklag (Norway) MD: Professor David King - 2015​
'NM Brass 2015 Elite Section' - CD -​
Carnival of Venice Variations - Arban arr: Bue Lund Nielson​
Tuba Soloist Michael Lind (Sweden) with the Besses o'th' Band MD: Roy Newsome - 1979​
'National Brass Band Festival 1979' - Vinyl - Chandos ‎– BBR 1003 - 1979​
The British Bandsman March - Derek Broadbent​
Massed Bands of Besses O' Th' Barn, Black Dyke Mills & I.M.I.Yorkshire Imperial MD: Harry Mortimer - 1987​
British Bandsman Centenary concert 1887 - 1987​
Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz - Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg arr: Ray Farr​
Vocalist Natalie Farr with the Reg Vardy Band MD: Ray Farr - 2006​
'Cool' - CD - Sforza SFZ132 - 2006​
Porgy and Bess Suite - 1. It Ain't Necessarily So 2. I Got Plenty O' Nuttin' 3. Bess, You Is My Woman Now 4. I'm On My Way George Gershwin arr: Alan Fernie​
Black Dyke Band MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 2001​
'Spectacular Classics II' - CD - Obrasso Recording CD876 - 2001​
Devils Duel - Peter Meechan​
Euphonium Soloist Dan Morgan with the Marsden Silver Prize Band MD: Glyn Williams - 2014​
'Revolution 125 years 1889 - 2014' - CD - Music House Productions - Music House Productions - Audio Recording and Production ..2014​
March From 'le Coq D'Or' - Rimsky Korsakov arr: Alan Catherall​
IMI Yorkshire Imperial Band MD: James Scott - 1989​
'Pageantry' - CD - Polyphonic Recording QPRL 040D - 1989​
Fanfare for Rocky - Bill Conti​
Ensemble De Cuivres Valaisan (Switzerland) MD: Christophe Jeanbourquin - 2000​
'Emotions' - CD - Pro Music PM789 - 2000​
Rhythm and Blues – Philip SparkeClosing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010'Patrons' Choice III' - CD - Egon CD-SFZ154 - 2010