Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 1 November 2020

ChrisHelme

Hello Brass Banders

I hope everyone is staying safe and managing to keep busy. I have had a week off this last week and whilst only doing half of what I normally do is has been a quiet week for me.

This week's show is based on music that bands were playing during the 1950s. Yes, a couple of the recordings do have what I call nostalgic sounds of aging but then they were recorded during the 1950s which makes them just about 70 years old and I think when you get to that age you are entitled to make a few nostalgic aging sounds.

Some of the pieces you may have played in more modern times whereas some of the pieces 'brown'edged' copies will still be buried in your bandroom music library. Whilst the music may not have aged too well it does not detract from the standard of band and individual players there were back then.

Enjoy the show....

George Howard Clutsam (26.9.1866 – 17.11.1951) an Australian pianist, composer, and writer, best remembered for his 1922 arrangement of Lilac Time music written by Franz Schubert. He published over 150 songs.

He was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. His career began as a pianist, with little formal training. After establishing himself in Australia and New Zealand, he moved to London in 1889, where he continued as an accompanist to various artists including his fellow Australian Nellie Melba in 1893. From 1895 he moved to arrangement and composition of orchestral works and light opera.

He married Australian singer Minna Fischer on December 12, 1908.

Between 1908 and 1918 he wrote music criticism for The Observer and The Musical Times, while continuing to compose and arrange. In 1912, he wrote a biography of Franz Schubert. As well as the many stage works, he wrote numerous songs and later became Vice-Chairman of the Performing Right Society. He also wrote music for the silent cinema, and later for the ‘talkies’.

He published under a number of pseudonyms, namely Paul Aubry, Robert Harrington, H.S. Iseledon, Georges Latour and Ch.G. Mustal.

He died in London in 1951 at the age of 85.

Lilac Time – was a popular piece for brass band park engagements.

Playlist 1 November 2020 - Brass Band Music of the 1950s
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke​
Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010​
The Swashbuckler March - H.R.Moreton (AKA Harry Mortimer)​
Massed Brass Bands Of Fodens, Fairey Aviation & Morris Motors MD: Harry Mortimer - 1967​
Caliph of Baghdad - Francois Adrien Boieldieu arr. William Rimmer​
Wingates Temperance Band MD: John Harrison - 1975​
Deux Grotesques - 1) Balletomane 2) March of the Clowns - A. Picon (Anthony Spurgin ) arr. Dawson (1951)​
CWS (Manchester) Band - MD: Alex Mortimer - 1960​
Lilac Time - Franz Schubert arr. George Howard Clutsam​
Massed Bands of Foden's Motor Works, Fairey Aviation and Morris Motors Band MD: Harry Mortimer - 1964​
The Watermill - Ronald Binge - (Mid 1950s)​
Cornet Soloist Willie Barr with the Scottish CWS Band MD: Robert Oughton - 1971​
The Tops - Tom Powell (1954)​
All Star Concert Band MD: Harry Mortimer - 1954​
Le Roi D'Ys - Eduard Lalo arr. Frank Wright (1959)​
Black Dyke Mills Band MD: Major George Willcocks - 1959​
Skaters Waltz Op 183 - Emile Waldteuful​
Fodens Band MD: Rex Mortimer - 1969​
Napoleon Galop - Richard Martyn​
Munn and Felton's (Footwear) Band MD: Stanley Boddington​
Rufford Abbey - Drake Rimmer (1951)​
St Dennis Band MD: Eddie Williams - 1971​
Carnival of Venice - Del Staigers​
Cornet Soloist James Scott with the Munn and Felton's (Footwear) Band MD: Stanley Boddington - 1958​
Whispering Brass - Peter Haysom arr. Bram Gay (1959)​
Massed Bands of Fodens, Fairey Aviation and Morris Motors MD: Harry Mortimer - 1969​
Bolivar - Eric Cook (1954)​
Trombone Soloist John Pollard with the massed bands of Grimethorpe Colliery, Carlton Main Frickley, Markham Main GMD: Ray Jenkins - 1969​
Iolanthe Selection - Sir Arthur Sullivan arr. Drake Rimmer (1957)​
Black Dyke Mills Band MD: Geoffrey Brand -1967​
Calon Lan ( The hymn tune Blaenwern) - Walter Rowlands​
Leyland Band MD: Thomas Wyss - 2013​
Lustpiel Overture - Kela Bela arr. Martyn (originally published 1872)​
Massed bands of Morris Concert; Ransome and Marles Works; Yorkshire Imperial Metals and Camborne Town GMD: Harry Mortimer - live at DeMont fort Hall Leicester - 22 march 1970​
Poeme Op 41 No. 4 - Zdenek Fibich (originally published 1894)​
Swiss Army Band (Switzerland) MD: Andreas Sporri - 1999​
Cavalcade of Martial Songs - Horatio Nicholls arr: Gordon Mackenzie​
Black Dyke Band MD: James Watson - 1995
Jamie's Patrol - Sidney Dacre​
Tullis Russell Mills Band MD: Duncan S. Campbell - 1969​
The Elephant March - James Ord Hume (1910)​
Black Dyke Band MD: James Watson -​
Farandole - Bizet arr. Drake Rimmer (1957)​
Brass Band Oberaargauer (Switzerland) MD: Manfred Obrecht - 1991​
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke​
Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010​

Last edited:

Col M

Thanks Chris, very enjoyable.
I used to enjoy playing Rufford Abbey too as a 4th section test piece in the mid 60s and it certainly brought back many fond memories of playing with Brindle Band in Lancashire.
By the way do you know if it is on disc or another form anywhere?

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.