Sunday Bandstand 23 October - a weekly 2 hour brass band radio programme

ChrisHelme

Hello Everyone - Here is my show for 23 October 2016 and the playlist. Apologies it is a repeat show first heard on 17 January 2016. I am back in my office next Friday when normal service will resume.

It was announced this week that David Horsfield a name many in the brass band world will be familiar with passed away on the 18 October at home in Brighouse, West Yorkshire.

David began playing the cornet with his village band Clifton and Lightcliffe. From this start he was appointed the principal cornet player at Brighouse and Rastrick at the age of 16 — making his British Open debut in 1960.

In 1968 he moved to Black Dyke on repiano cornet and was part of a band that won many top awards before joining his friend James Shepherd in 1973 as a founder member of his Versatile Brass. For the next 12 years enjoying a period of unprecedented success and travelled the world. A highly respected adjudicator at all levels from Australia and Europe and his home city of Bradford . In 1984 he established the successful Kirklees Publishing Company which is now run by his sons.

I am sure many listeners will have played along side David, played at a contest, may be the Brighouse march and hymn contest where along with the Brighouse Lions he was a driving force behind this successful event. He may have been an adjudicator at a contest you played in or listened to him whilst a member of the JSVB an just possibly your band bought music from his family music publishing.

This is a repeat show from 17.1.2016. With not being in my office for another week music involving David will be on next week - This show is dedicated to the memory of David Horsfield a true brass bander who will not only be greatly missed by his family but also throughout the brass banding family.

Playlist 23 October 2016
(Repeated show from 17 January 2016)

Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
Slavonic Dance No. 8 - Antonin Dvorak Arr: Ronald Hanmer Black Dyke Mills Band MD: James Watson - 1992
Themes from Beethoven's 5th Symphony - Beethoven Arr: Denis Wright CWS (Manchester) Band MD: Alex Mortimer - 1969
Slipstream - Paul Lovatt-Cooper Trombone Soloist Brett Baker with the Flowers Band MD: Paul Holland - 2015
Adagio - Samuel Barber Arr: Howard Snell Eikanger-Bjørsvik Musikklag MD: Ray Farr - 1999
Russky Percussky - Goff Richards Percussion Soloist Cathy Gilbertson-White with the Desford Colliery Caterpillar Band - MD: James Watson - 1990
Waltz: Masquerade - Aram Khachaturian Arr: Stuart Johnson Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band MD: David James - 1979
Jupiter from the Planets Suite - Gustav Holst Arr: Derek Ashmore Grimethorpe Colliery Band MD: Derek Ashmore - 1972
Lucille - Percy Code Cornet Soloist Jack Mackintosh accompanied by a Military Band - 1930
March Calder - Drake Rimmer Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: Professor Walter B. Hargreaves - 1969
St Magnus - Kenneth Downie Buy as you View Cory Band MD: Dr Robert Childs - 2004
Australis - Derick Kane Euphonium Soloist Derick Kane with the International Staff Band Of The Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2015
Danny Boy Arr: Barrie Gott Ransome Band MD: Russell Gray - 2001
The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones Williams Fairey Band MD: Marc Reift - 2008
The Adventurers - Martin Cordner International Staff Band of the Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2015
Finale: Symphony No. 4 - Tchaikovsky - Arr: Derek Ashmore Wingates Temperance Band MD: Dennis Wilby - 1979
Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Fodens Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy

Chris