Sold/Expired Suite Gothique recordings?

Dave Payn

Active Member
I have eulogised about this piece elsewhere on this forum. Are there any decent recordings of this available? I've checked our databases at PRS/MCPS and seen one from Sun Life. Is it any good? Is it still available? Are there any others? I've got the version on Essential Dyke Vol. 3 and don't particularly like that rendition so any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
 

Chunky

Active Member
Hi Dave

Seem to remember my parents having a box set called Sounds of Brass? On one of the 4 or 5 LPs is a recording of Suite Gothique if memory serves me rightly. The Cover of the box has a Laquered Bell of a Bass I believe.

Unfortunately they are out of the country at the moment so can't double check, but can at weekend when they return.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Chunky said:
Hi Dave

Seem to remember my parents having a box set called Sounds of Brass? On one of the 4 or 5 LPs is a recording of Suite Gothique if memory serves me rightly. The Cover of the box has a Laquered Bell of a Bass I believe.

Unfortunately they are out of the country at the moment so can't double check, but can at weekend when they return.

Much appreciated. Ta, Chunky.
 

Pondasher

Member
Dave

I have both of the recordings of Suite Gothique referred to by Chunky and yourself on: -

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

My ref: SL2 Sun Life, Stanshawe, is in my opinion the best one. Saydisk SDLB262.

My ref: V129-6LP. On one of 6 LP's from Reader's Digest. Pye GBRA-6A/S1-S6.

These can be ordered from the details shown on the website, or you can email me direct at KEITH@quinnk37.freeserve.co.uk

I hope this information is of use.

Keith
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
There is also another earlier Black Dyke recording entitled "Triumphant Brass" that I have on tape. In addition to the "Suite Gothique" it also includes the "Academic Festival Overture", "Triumphant Rhapsody", "Cornet Carillon" and the Berlioz "Hungarian Dance".

Also, the winning performance from the 1995 finals was released on cd.
 

bassinthebathroom

Active Member
PeterBale said:
There is also another earlier Black Dyke recording entitled "Triumphant Brass" that I have on tape. In addition to the "Suite Gothique" it also includes the "Academic Festival Overture", "Triumphant Rhapsody", "Cornet Carillon" and the Berlioz "Hungarian Dance".

Also, the winning performance from the 1995 finals was released on cd.

Have the Dyke on tape too. Damn good stuff it is too - listening now!
 

Highams

Member
The Toccata was also recorded by Brighouse on Grosvenor Records in 1975 and re issued on Decca in 1979 on 'The World of Brass Band Classics'.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Pondasher said:
Dave

I have both of the recordings of Suite Gothique referred to by Chunky and yourself on: -

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

My ref: SL2 Sun Life, Stanshawe, is in my opinion the best one. Saydisk SDLB262.

My ref: V129-6LP. On one of 6 LP's from Reader's Digest. Pye GBRA-6A/S1-S6.

These can be ordered from the details shown on the website, or you can email me direct at KEITH@quinnk37.freeserve.co.uk

I hope this information is of use.

Keith

Damn right it's of use! Thank you, Keith. Expect a visit to your site soon! ;-)

Cheers

I tried hunting down the 1995 Nationals recording but to no avail. nevertheless, thank you all for your help and advice. :)
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top