Stamina problems! : (

Seedhouse

Hello, I was just wondering my stamina can sometimes be very good but sometimes extremely bad! :cry:
Bob adn David Childs recommended Charle's Collins Advanced Lip Flexibilites, but I can't find the book anywhere! :? Does anyone know where to find it?
Also, if the mouthpiece isn't really suited to your lips, does that affect your stamina???
Thanks,
Alex

i got a copy of mi teacher bt dnt no where she gt it. da copy i got is really well used coz its been passed around (hehehe) but i recommend da book to improve playin generally :wink:

I use how brass palyers do it as well, but not quite reached the end of the book yet, still every little bit of extra practice helps.

leisa

My teacher photocoopied this 24 charecteristic studies and i cant find the name of the book....but its good for stamina!!

satchmo shaz

alex, just found the charles collins book, will bring it tonight if I remember :wink: ......... tex me to remind me!

Stamina

The key to developing stamina is to practice little, but often! i.e. several half hour sessions in one day is better than one long 2 or 3 hour session. Don't practice when you are tired, it does more damage than good.
Try and cover many aspects of playing, don't just concentrate on one area such as flexibilities. Mix and match different things (scale studies, articulations, technical studies etc...)

If you think of your stamina as your "fitness to play" and your practice routines like "circut training" and you stick to your daily routines, over a period of time you should notice that your "playing fitness" at band rehearsals improves. The "fitter" you are, the easier it is to tackle those testpieces etc that we all have to learn....

Hope his helps.

Emb_Enh

Hello, I was just wondering my stamina can sometimes be very good but sometimes extremely bad!

this can be to MANY variables too numerous to mention here...but is likely to be attributable to excessive mpc pressure shutting off lip vibrations. Cure---try lip/mpc buzzing simple melodies every 2 days for 10 mins before you play.

Bob and David Childs recommended Charle's Collins Advanced Lip Flexibilites, but I can't find the book anywhere! Does anyone know where to find it?

You can get it in the UK here: Ian.J.Steele@btopenworld.com

Also, if the mouthpiece isn't really suited to your lips, does that affect your stamina??? Thanks, Alex

OH YES! -- MPC advise at my website

James McFadyen

I must admit after leaing the Fife Youth Jazz Orchestra, playing the rather hefty Lead Trumpet parts and now playing Repiano for Tullis Russell Mills Band, stamina is NEVER a problem for me, in fact just the opposite, I never seem to have worked hard enough and it bugs me somthing awful, it's probably due to the fact the band just plays too bloddy quiet and I'm a strong player.

Emb_Enh

I never seem to have worked hard enough and it bugs me somthing awful, it's probably due to the fact the band just plays too bloddy quiet and I'm a strong player.
========================

This is a common complaint of a player who needs to swell the lips up to be able to play,[mpc dependant] and finds it hard to play quiet for long periods, and does'nt like taking days off [finds detriment]. If I'm right I have answers on my website ...if I'm wrong with my assesment I apologise in advance---I can't hear ya from here!. :lol:

Accidental

Supporting Member
try DAILY EMBOUCHURE STUDIES by Edwin Franko Goldman - it really helped me with stamina and high notes. I waffled a lot more on your "upper register" thread about it!

Emb_Enh

If you have a problem with your basic "blow" then NO exercise book will make that go away very easily.

One needs to correctly SELF analyse ones own basic blow problems, this is where my book comes in, then one is able to move forward using ANY exercise book.

Best of luck with progress :p