Spring Festival 2009 pieces announced...

robcav

Love all three pieces and would be happy to play any of them. On a slightly different tack, I wonder if anyone could advise me as to whether there are any guidelines/ rules concerning the promotion of bands to take the place of bands which are no longer able to attend a contest because they are no longer in existence.

stevetrom

Will have to go and listen to Contest Music, my favouroite test piece.

1st contest I went to (as a punter) was the midlands area in 19?? when Contest Music was the test piece, persuaded me to start playing again.

Di B

Love all three pieces and would be happy to play any of them. On a slightly different tack, I wonder if anyone could advise me as to whether there are any guidelines/ rules concerning the promotion of bands to take the place of bands which are no longer able to attend a contest because they are no longer in existence.

If the band had officially finished then I think it would be up to the contest organisers on what to do but it would seem sensible to replace the band. Then again Sellers werent replaced at the Open...

Phil Green

Supporting Member
Will have to go and listen to Contest Music, my favouroite test piece.

1st contest I went to (as a punter) was the midlands area in 19?? when Contest Music was the test piece, persuaded me to start playing again.

I think it was 1985 - the closest Langley Band ever got to the Nationals in my days with the organisation. One spare Sop and Euph entry cost them 2nd place - and the remarks said so!

Phil Green

Supporting Member
Feel for the Championship Section bands in the Senior Trophy mind!!

Is that because it's musically a really tough piece to pull off and they'll have to work really hard as a band to produce a tight musical ensemble peformance, rather then normal pyrotechnics and hurried semi-quavers that the adjudicators can't see the bluff through?

Me too.

Jayboy

The pieces are good, Spectrum seems to be on the same level as previous picks for the trophy. I don't think Pageantry is difficult enough for cup

Last edited:

scotchgirl

Is that because it's musically a really tough piece to pull off and they'll have to work really hard as a band to produce a tight musical ensemble peformance, rather then normal pyrotechnics and hurried semi-quavers that the adjudicators can't see the bluff through?

Me too.

good post! 100% agree - and am looking forward to popping in for a listen next May! Lets hope I don't break the middle finger of my right hand before we play again like I did this year :D

Phil Green

Supporting Member
The pieces are good, Spectrum seems to be on the same level as previous picks for the trophy. I don't think Pageantry is difficult enough for cup

Sorry to disagree but Pageantry is more than hard enough for the cup or shield or even the Open. Half the bands in the "cup" will have split notes by the time the first beat of the first bar has been played.

Are you really saying that bands to today, those competing in the "cup" are so much better than Dyke, Brighouse, Fodens, Cory, Grimethorp were 20 years ago? They found Pageantry hard then and bandsmen that have experience will tell you that it's harder to play stuff like Pageanty than Harmony Music or Dove Descending etc......it's about making music. Most bands will get through it but I doubt that any will really play it well.

Sorry to rant, it's nothing personal, but if you'd ever rehearsed this piece, I mean REALLY, REALLY rehearsed it, you'd understand just how hard it, and pieces like it, are.

Straightmute

I agree with Phil - anyone who heard it at the First Section finals would remember that only two or three bands really made a decent show of it. It sounded better at the Masters when YBS were outstanding. And it's not so long since it was the Grand Shield piece (95?) and the band I was playing with came seriously unstuck that day!

IMHO Pageantry is one of the hardest pieces out there.

BNFL (Leyland) with Richard Evans did a Vinter CD on the Polyphonic label, I think if my memory serves me. :clap:

It was Fairey's under the baton of the Major who did the Vinter CD's for Polyphonic. They still stand up to scrutiny, and two of the recodnigs from these CD's were used on the Regionals CD's, this year for Salute to Youth and also when Entertainments was the Third Section regional piece a couple or so years ago.

vol. 1 is called Spectrum and Vol. 2 is called Triumphant Rhapsody if memory serves me correctly.

I hope your not insinuating thats what all Championship standard players think because I certainly don't. We strive to have a musical performance whatever the piece and however many hoops there are to jump through

Phil Green

Supporting Member

I hope your not insinuating thats what all Championship standard players think because I certainly don't. We strive to have a musical performance whatever the piece and however many hoops there are to jump through

Read my post properly.

Thirteen Ball

Read my post properly.

I've read your post, and I think I can see why it has solicited the above reaction.

I certainly won't deny that Pageantry is a stern test of a band, the same way that James Cook was a tough test for 1st section bands at the areas last year, and Wayfarer even more so the year before.

But without trying to second guess what Snazzy was trying to say, it is easy to read your post within the contex of an old argument I've heard many times. I'm not saying this is what you meant, I'm just saying this is one context in which it could be read.

There is a certain school of thought (Which I do not insinuate that you either do or don't subscribe to) which believes contemporary pieces, ie: Harmony Music, St Magnus etc. which do contain some horrendous technical challenges, and 'pyrotechnic' effects are easier to play than, for example, an old overture because they "don't have any music in them," as if the inclusion of contemporary scoring somehow precludes a piece from being "Real" music, because technique alone is enough to win on it.

I don't believe this argument for one minute, because I don't believe a band can get by with just a display of technique. It's completely impossible to get anything out of, for example, harmony music, unless you can do more than just play the dots because it's still a tremendously musical piece.

Or for example devil and the deep blue sea? I've rarely seen so much technical challenge spread over so much of the band, but there's also an enormous amount of musical sympathy needed to play it - just as much as is needed for Resurgam or an old Overture, and the belief that technique alone is enough to get a band through a contemporary piece does not, in my opinion, hold any water.

But when pieces which offer a different style of music are so often criticised and derided as "Squeaky gate" pieces, often followed by a remark similar to "...why can't we play some REAL music, like carnival romain, or les preludes..." it's easy to see why fans of such music can feel persecuted... because that's precisely the attitude that kept brass band music in the doldrums until a certain Mr Vinter turned up and gave it a good kick up the backside.I also seem to recall Contest Music, another choice for this year, took a good long while to be picked as a set test piece, because it was so far ahead of it's time.

I'm not saying this was the argument you were putting forward, Phil. I'm just saying it is possible to infer so from your initial post. Hence why snazzy's reaction may seem a little terse - and I was on the point of posting something similar myself before I paused for thought - I don't believe it's meant to sound that way.

Last edited:

JohnnyEuph

Sorry to disagree but Pageantry is more than hard enough for the cup or shield or even the Open. Half the bands in the "cup" will have split notes by the time the first beat of the first bar has been played.

Are you really saying that bands to today, those competing in the "cup" are so much better than Dyke, Brighouse, Fodens, Cory, Grimethorp were 20 years ago? They found Pageantry hard then and bandsmen that have experience will tell you that it's harder to play stuff like Pageanty than Harmony Music or Dove Descending etc......it's about making music. Most bands will get through it but I doubt that any will really play it well..

I don't think he was inferring anything by that. Pageantry is a fine test and is a more disciplined and bigger blow than Spectrum, but not technically as hard, and no it is not as difficult a piece as as say Harmony Music, or indeed other recent picks for the cup like Paganini

Sorry to rant, it's nothing personal, but if you'd ever rehearsed this piece, I mean REALLY, REALLY rehearsed it, you'd understand just how hard it, and pieces like it, are.

And how do you know that he hasn't REALLY, REALLY rehearsed Pageantry??? I Beg to differ, and would like to refer you here: http://hatfieldband.co.uk/music/music.html I remember well the months of REALLY, REALLY rehearsing this, and I find your comment a bit of an insult to the personal time and effort put into it.

So with respect, whilst I am not questioning your musical experience, much of the tone of your post smacked of 'And what do you know?'

scotchgirl

I think that there is a general consensus sometimes that the older a piece is, the easier it is....because its been around for a while, and more bands will have had a chance to have a look at it/listen to different interpretations etc.

However, as is usually shown on contest days....this isn't always the case lol!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.