Spring Festival 2008

critic

The amount of times I overheard people moaning about 4BR during the weekend was unbelievable. It was one man's opinion, not some global-domination brass band machine intent on persuing some kind of vendetta against every band. My word......the guy just didn't think Hatfield were worth a top six.....he was not out to get them....crikey!!!!!

He certainly was not he has a great regard for the band and the md.

critic

I know, it comes to something when people moan about the comments of a band they're not even a member of even though both bands did well! :-S What does it matter?

ps Perhaps the 4br's guy 'interpretation' wasn't the same as O'Conners!

iT WASpretty near just overall felt it would e up there but not top six.Only a opinion

Some interesting thoughts on this thread.

Before the contest I read about EYMS getting thier principal cornet just for this contest in from Willebroek, and last week I thought "if they qualify it might feel really unfair, especially to the band who come 5th". Well we came 5th......and I say....... "WELL DONE TO EYMS!!! Enjoy!!".

One player doesnt make a contest win, its a massive team effort, and success doesn't happen overnight.

As to whether or not I think the "loophole" should be closed, yes I do, but thats for another day.

And 4barsrest do a very good (FREE!) job, if you dont like what they write, dont read it. (Their comments were a kiss of death for us this year, I blame them for our placing...etc etc!!)..... Its all about opinions, thats what makes it interesting.

Well done to all of the qualifiers, and hard luck to those relegated (or just missing out like us!). The standard of playing at the Spring Festival means that every band will feel hard done by unless they qualify for promotion.

Roll on the next contest when we can all feel hard done by again (or not).

Paul
Skelmanthorpe

ps Has anyone got a contact at Eikanger before the rules change.....?! (joking!!!)

I don't think the bit about belfast barman is quite right, its funny how you 'can't keep him away' now you have an empty seat but always could before when you had a full section! Its a case of needs must.

Yeah, its quite hard to commute when you work 6 evenings out of 7 and have to take a week off work to come to contests - if I could be there every week I would, believe me, but having relocated to Belfast its a tad inconvenient (A little like all the digs people get at me).

Andy

MoominDave

A lot of stuff about probabilities

It's been pointed out to me that I should account for all other possible draw-result coincidences that are equally or less likely to the naked eye than the Shield one, and that this will make the odds less huge.

I'll skip over the details so as to not to bore anyone of a mathematically sensitive disposition... Making various dodgy assumptions, I calculate that the chances of something equally or more bizarre having occurred n times in the whole of banding contest history are distributed approximately as:
n=0 : 0.86
n=1: 0.13
n=2: 0.0099
n=3: 0.00050
etc...

So that this has occurred once in banding history is perhaps not so outlandish (something like a 1 in 7 chance for any 150-year set of contest results). Does anyone know if consecutive runs of draws matched to results for 4 or more bands have occurred in contest results before? We need a bigger sample!

Masterblaster jnr

bring on whit friday. if this is owt to go by it'll be a riot..,(literally!):biggrin:

oh good :rolleyes:

So, i think i'll complain about the results now then.

I'm appalled that we came there. But i'd better not complain, we borrowed the percussionist from our 1st section band and we're a 4th section band :eek:. How could we! ;)

But, in sensible mode, one of my next planned posts was to say that individual players don't make a band. From principal Cornet to assistant co-deputy principal triangle, it's a team effort, and if people are complaining about a band improving themselves by bringing in top players, then surely they are saying that the band have been roped in. You can only improve a band by improving the players in it.

MBJ

agentorange

Before the contest I read about EYMS getting thier principal cornet just for this contest in from Willebroek, and last week I thought "if they qualify it might feel really unfair, especially to the band who come 5th". Well we came 5th......and I say....... "WELL DONE TO EYMS!!! Enjoy!!".

One player doesnt make a contest win, its a massive team effort, and success doesn't happen overnight.

Spot on Paul, thanks.

Just to put things into perspective, we 'borrowed' Willebroek's 3rd man to play principal, not their top man or a professional player, and he had only one week to prepare for the contest. Jef played very well, but did he give us any real advantage over the other bands? I don't think so. The only reason for his appearance was because we failed to find a British player to fill our vacant principal seat, not because we were looking for an edge (although I personally find a players nationality irrelavant). One other point - If we hadn't announced Jef's signing, who whold have known (or cared!) about it?

Cheers for the congrats Paul. We were 5th last year so I know what it feels like! Hope you do what we did and win it next year!

Masterblaster jnr

(<OPINION>)
Jef did play well, but in both myself and my dad's opinion, the euph player was the best soloist in EYMS on stage, (for me, the best one of the day) and Jef didn't win the soloist award , so the adjudicators must have felt he wasn't the best player on the day.
(<FACT>)
Jef wasn't the only borrowed player on the day, and, i'm sure with their current position, EYMS would have borrowed someone equal to him standardwise if they had been able to from England. Would we complain then?

MBJ

Anonymous_user

But this is their JOB!!! I don't care how difficult it is for them! They are well-paid for the job that they do, and the bands all put a lot of trust in them, that they will do the job well.

If they can truly put their hands up and say that the results were purely coincidental with the draw...then that's fine....we all have crappy contest days....I personally don't have an issue with being relegated - we've been there before and we'll come back all the stronger for it I'm sure.

I take it you listened to all the bands just like the judges?????????