Spring Festival 2007-Test Pieces

flashbarry

As far as I am aware the music for Blitz was composed before Derek Bourgois chose the title. Infact I remember reading the bandsman when Blitz was used at the finals that he was going to call it Lip Transplant so I think perhaps you are seeing things in the music that the composer never intended.

Fantastic piece of absolute music.

Seedhouse

Flashbarry said:
so I think perhaps you are seeing things in the music that the composer never intended.
The contextual information that I know is taken straight from the composers notes at the beginning of the score, and was also discussed by Derek Broadbent when remarking on what they were looking for in the performances on the day...?

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Seedhouse said:
The contextual information that I know is taken straight from the composers notes at the beginning of the score, and was also discussed by Derek Broadbent when remarking on what they were looking for in the performances on the day...?
Just because that was the way it was published doesn't mean that that was the way it was conceived and it could always have been rationalised when it's already on paper - something about Darrol's post is ringing a bell somewhere....there was also a rumour that the end of Blitz isn't the one that Bourgeois wanted to write - but his concept was deemed unplayable at the time.

Dunno how much of it's true though ;)

flashbarry

KMJ Recordings said:
Just because that was the way it was published doesn't mean that that was the way it was conceived and it could always have been rationalised when it's already on paper - something about Darrol's post is ringing a bell somewhere....there was also a rumour that the end of Blitz isn't the one that Bourgeois wanted to write - but his concept was deemed unplayable at the time.

Dunno how much of it's true though ;)

Yes Keith you are correct, Derek wrote lip glissandi but the powers that be asked him to notate them.

critic

Grand Shield

Sellers_Bird said:
..and its alright for those bands fresh from out of the Open who unfortunately are in the Shield this year :S

Iagree two of the bands who came down this year will have a great chanceof going back up if there good enough. The challenge will be strong its hard to get out of.Dances and alleluias will be very difficult for the senior cup.Althree are great pieces.

Vickitorious

A Night to Sing is one of my favourite pieces of music!

Having played it at NYBB with Bram Tovey conducting, he was telling us the story as we went along and it really really does work.

It's not all about the war as such, its about the parties after the war had finished.

It starts off and the first section is sort of meant to be like, the news spreading around the place that the war was over. Then it changes time signiture loads and thats like the crowds and lots of hussling people trying to force their way through the crowds.
Theres a few dance bits in it as well.. which is obviously the people dancing around at the news.
The next section is the drunken soldiers at the party, and theres a bar in this which we were told is where, 'the soldier gets a bit too friendly and the wife slaps them'
Then theres a love melody, where people are rejoining again after years.
The euph cadenza I think was to build tension, and the whole of that slow section was to show the mourning after the war.
Theres a big party section once again and a huge climax just before the end, which is reflecitive, to show peace or something? :confused:

So.. Theres what we got told was the interpretation of the music. And what the composer himself wanted. I must admit when I first played it through I didn't think much to it, but a very hard piece. But when you know the story that fits in to it, it really is like.. WOW :eek:

And ooooOOOooo I can't wait to get it out now!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Hmm not too sure about these choices. Great pieces but ....
Grand Shield - I think it's unfair that a piece played at last years Open by 4 bands (Ashton, Imps, Sellers, Tredegar)
Senior Cup - Two Philip Sparke pieces in a row?? (Harmony Music 2006 - Dances and Alleluias 2007) Not that I've got anything against him as he's a top quality composer!
Senior Trophy - GREAT PIECE!

Can't wait to play that euph solo at Grand Shield. Sounds so exposed and stupidly high!!! Run of the mill euph solo nowadays.
I know it's early days but does any decent percussionist fancy playing Night to Sing with us????
I don't know for definate but from listening to it I think it needs 4 players.

Texus

Fantastic selection of music. Will probably revert to rubbish if we have to go back in 2008! Should provide a great day of playing and listening.

Vickitorious said:
A Night to Sing is one of my favourite pieces of music!

Having played it at NYBB with Bram Tovey conducting, he was telling us the story as we went along and it really really does work.

It's not all about the war as such, its about the parties after the war had finished.

It starts off and the first section is sort of meant to be like, the news spreading around the place that the war was over. Then it changes time signiture loads and thats like the crowds and lots of hussling people trying to force their way through the crowds.
Theres a few dance bits in it as well.. which is obviously the people dancing around at the news.
The next section is the drunken soldiers at the party, and theres a bar in this which we were told is where, 'the soldier gets a bit too friendly and the wife slaps them'
Then theres a love melody, where people are rejoining again after years.
The euph cadenza I think was to build tension, and the whole of that slow section was to show the mourning after the war.
Theres a big party section once again and a huge climax just before the end, which is reflecitive, to show peace or something? :confused:

So.. Theres what we got told was the interpretation of the music. And what the composer himself wanted. I must admit when I first played it through I didn't think much to it, but a very hard piece. But when you know the story that fits in to it, it really is like.. WOW :eek:

And ooooOOOooo I can't wait to get it out now!! :biggrin::biggrin:
#

youve forgot something...

its called to sing because bram read somewhere , that when a goverment survey officer (the old opionion polls) went round listening to what people where saying one woman said 'it was a wonderful night , it was truely the night to sing' or something along those lines (it was nearly a year ago he told me now!)

Vickitorious

lloydmcwalters said:
#

youve forgot something...

its called to sing because bram read somewhere , that when a goverment survey officer (the old opionion polls) went round listening to what people where saying one woman said 'it was a wonderful night , it was truely the night to sing' or something along those lines (it was nearly a year ago he told me now!)

Oooooooo yeh! :biggrin:

matthetimp

ian perks said:
More like A NIGHT TO CRY.
One of the worst pieces that as been picked over the last few years.
But thats just my opinion

I agree Ian. Half of the Bands in the OPEN 2 years ago couldn't play the piece. It's going to be a close call next year in the Grand Shield, as most bands are going to struggle with it and perhaps only 1 or 2 putting on a half decent show. 4 percussionists are required and the perc parts are manic in some parts.

iaindrum

Mr_Euniverse said:
Hmm not too sure about these choices. Great pieces but ....
Grand Shield - I think it's unfair that a piece played at last years Open by 4 bands (Ashton, Imps, Sellers, Tredegar)

Imps didnt play in the British Open that year

Product tMP members are discussing