Spolling

timbloke

I don't want to sound rude (as i seem to have a habit of getting in trouble with the mods at the mo, think i've got a few black marks :cry: ), but i will be anyway.

You lot really can't spell...

Either that or you can't type very well...

And as for grammar.....! (although i'm just as bad as the next tMPer)

I know that the object ins to communicate, so "txt spk" is used, but still. It is beginning to get silly.

Comments please?

geordiecolin

timbloke said:
I don't want to sound rude (as i seem to have a habit of getting in trouble with the mods at the mo, think i've got a few black marks :cry: ), but i will be anyway.

You lot really can't spell...

Either that or you can't type very well...

And as for grammar.....! (although i'm just as bad as the next tMPer)

I know that the object ins to communicate, so "txt spk" is used, but still. It is beginning to get silly.

Comments please?

Well I can spot at least 1 typo in the above!!

I know the object ins to communicate

And also see the "How will I recognise you" topic:

timbloke said:
Didn't understand the rest of your message... but this one tie's in quite well with my skill of accompanying myself on the muppet theme (playing the abss line whilst singing he tune down my instrument.... i'll try it on saturday...

You're right, the spelling and typing on here is terrible.

:wink: :wink: 8)

Straightmute

In the same way that I enjoy hearing different spoken accents and dialects, I'm always interested in how people write and I try not to make judgements about them based on outdated middle-class values; I'm more interested in what they say rather than how it is written down.

But my pet hate is 'alot' which I read alot of times on here. People who write this should be shot.

D

Dave Payn

I must admit, plurals with apostrophes irk me, (like 'tie's....) but as my linguist girlfriend says, if enough people make those sort of errors, it'll eventually become 'right' or an accepted part of the English language. If language stood still and didn't evolve (or maybe 'de'volve), we'd still be saying 'shouldest' and such like, and sticking an 'e' on the end of certain words (like 'goode' and 'olde'. Good thing no one thought to do the same with the word 'pub'.....)

Keppler

Staff member
I'm an excellent speller, but I'll be the first to admit my typing is wobbly. Being of the "coder" type - I tend to write all sorts of wierd looking words on the screen, and so I still look at my fingers and type with the "not-correct" fingers.

text speak does annoy me though. Is there a premium on vowels?

rutty

My typing is also a bit wonky on occasions, but I do try and spell correctly and use the right grammatical context whatever I type out, even on my mobile.

I'm afraid that I often have little patience with posts that are written in txt spk, or all in capitals.

lynchie

I always try and use proper english. However, my mobile doesn't have a limit to the number of characters you can send in a text message, so I end up sended 5 messages at once! Not good for my bank balance!!!!

Fishsta

My personal pet hate is people who write "could of" or "would of"...

"That would of been good"

"That should of gone to Berlin"

Don't they teach English at school these days?

Pythagoras

Always try to spell correctly. Not sure about my grammer as I'm from the generation who didn't get taught it.

Pythagoras said:
Always try to spell correctly. Not sure about my grammer as I'm from the generation who didn't get taught it.

OOPS!

.......but then I did go to a grammar school many years ago!

Janet

PeterBale

Staff member
One of the biggest problems with email or the internet in general is the speed at which things happen. As has already been said, many of the errors which appear on theMouthPiece result from the transposition of letters, the ommission of repeated letters, or capitals failing to register properly. Ideally, if everyone were to take the time to check I'm certain a lot of these would be spotted, but often things do slip through - many's the time I've gone back to edit a post when I've spotted an error once it has gone on.

As for the question of so-called "txt-spk" I do find it annoying, but then that's probably my age catching up on me!

Dave Payn

On websites like this where let's face it, quite a few of us are hankering to get our point over as quickly as is feasible, mistakes will occur that won't usually happen if we were, say, composing a job application! Still this topic does remind me of two professionally produced signboards I've seen fairly recently (I say professionally, well... up to a point!). One was a board outisde a furniture store advertsing their special deals. It read : 'Three peice (sic) suites, half price'. The other was a plot of land about to be developed into a number of flats. The sign read 'LAND AQUIRED' (and there were several of these signs as well!)

One more! A London bus stop terminus. Again, this wasn't handwritten, but 'professionally' produced: 'Notice to driver's'

Still, as I said earlier in this thread, if these sort of mistakes become commonplace enough, they'll eventually become the norm and an accepted part of our language!

Reguards.... oops, Reegardz.....sorry..... best wishes

people are only making these simple spelling errors because of their need to put their thoughts across on tMP a.s.a.p. When one is typing at the spped of light, you can expect a couple of mistakes maybe...?

lynchie

exactly! how can we be expected to keep our posts per day up if we take time to proofread!??!!?!