Spelling and Grammar

flugelgal

I think that the housemates should pay more attention to their own spelling and grammar before they pick on BOC Brother... hypocrisy is not going to get them anywhere :twisted:

Jo Elson

its different we are stupid housemates an therefore aren't expected to get spelling right where as BOC Brother is.

flugelgal

Jo Elson said:
its different we are stupid housemates an therefore aren't expected to get spelling right where as BOC Brother is.

Maybe I just have higher expectations of you than you do of yourself, Jo. :wink:

TuTuKu

Maybe BOC brother should give the housemates a forfeit if they collectively produce more than a set number of spelling/grammer mistakes in one day? :twisted:

Humphrey

Maybe BOC brother can also be more accurate when setting quiz questions. In the Diary room forfeit quiz there are 2 errors and one poorly set question. Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family was the Great Bass Recorder. Even the scantest research would have identified 3 lower pitched recorders; the contrabass in F, Sub-contrabass in C and Sub-Sub contrabass in F. In question 4, Schuberts Symphony No 9 ("The Great") was referred to as a classical symphony. More accurately Schuberts music falls in the Romantic period. In question 6 you ask for a garden bird. A valid answer would have been any garden bird but even if we take into account the link great, Great tit is not the only answer possible. How about the Great Black-backed Gull or the Great spotted woodpecker both regarded as British garden birds.
I think the person who set this quiz should fall on his/her sword and the Housemates should demand an apology or at least require a forfeit of BOC brother. I see they had one housemate who scored full marks!! :shock:

super_sop

Supporting Member
Humphrey said:
I see they had one housemate who scored full marks!! :shock:
if you look a little more closely you will see that whatsharp was one of FOUR of us to get full marks!!!!!!

kate_the_horn

simple,
lol it was a conspiricy!!

only joking, i dont want to be the "vanessa" a.k.a amazon-warrior-archerer-princess

of the house (bitching!)

kel x

lynchie

Humphrey said:
Maybe BOC brother can also be more accurate when setting quiz questions. In the Diary room forfeit quiz there are 2 errors and one poorly set question. Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family was the Great Bass Recorder. Even the scantest research would have identified 3 lower pitched recorders; the contrabass in F, Sub-contrabass in C and Sub-Sub contrabass in F. In question 4, Schuberts Symphony No 9 ("The Great") was referred to as a classical symphony. More accurately Schuberts music falls in the Romantic period. In question 6 you ask for a garden bird. A valid answer would have been any garden bird but even if we take into account the link great, Great tit is not the only answer possible. How about the Great Black-backed Gull or the Great spotted woodpecker both regarded as British garden birds.
I think the person who set this quiz should fall on his/her sword and the Housemates should demand an apology or at least require a forfeit of BOC brother. I see they had one housemate who scored full marks!! :shock:

[Pedantic]

Just a bit of defence on the classical point... I haven't checked the actual quiz so I'm going by what you said. If the word classical was used with a small c, it refers to a much wider genre of music, covering pretty much all orchestral music. Only when used with an upper case C does it refer to the specific Classical era.

[/pedantic]

Humphrey

lynchie said:
[Pedantic]

Just a bit of defence on the classical point... I haven't checked the actual quiz so I'm going by what you said. If the word classical was used with a small c, it refers to a much wider genre of music, covering pretty much all orchestral music. Only when used with an upper case C does it refer to the specific Classical era.

[/pedantic]
No more pedantic than me I suppose. I rechecked the quiz and the word Classical does appear with an upper case C. I therefore reiterate my original point presumably with your support (at least on this point). So I expect BOC brother will want to say something in his defence. It'll have to be good. :lol:

lynchie

In that case you have my full support and BOC Brother does indeed owe an apology on all points raised, and possible cash compensation... hello, claims direct?

Humphrey said:
Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family was the Great Bass Recorder. Even the scantest research would have identified 3 lower pitched recorders; the contrabass in F, Sub-contrabass in C and Sub-Sub contrabass in F
Humphrey said:
Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family...

Surely, such instruments as the Contrabassoon, the Sub-Contrabass Saxophone and the Octobass Clarinet beat these recorders

links to all the above

Humphrey

Curiosity_Kills said:
Humphrey said:
Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family was the Great Bass Recorder. Even the scantest research would have identified 3 lower pitched recorders; the contrabass in F, Sub-contrabass in C and Sub-Sub contrabass in F
Humphrey said:
Question 3 stated the lowest voice in a woodwind family...

Surely, such instruments as the Contrabassoon, the Sub-Contrabass Saxophone and the Octobass Clarinet beat these recorders

You see; you've misinterpreted the question too. Personally I've never heard of a Sub-contrabass saxophone but it doesn't matter because... none of your examples contains the word "great" which was the clever :? link. The official answer was Great bass recorder being the lowest voice of a woodwind family (the recorder family) except it isn't!! Do you see??? Bad question, flawed quiz!! Still think BOC Brother should apologise or do a forfeit of his own.
Incidentally, it has been rumoured that a Sub-Octobass clarinet in EEEEb has been built!

Humphrey

Curiosity_Kills said:
That quiz has confused me - I going to shut up now
as for the Sub-Contrabass Saxophone - i have a recording of a guy playing one!

I hadn't heard of one but saw a picture on the net. It looks amazing! :shock:

In response to Humphrey:

Having set the quiz it was realised that there were some questions where various answers would have been correct, even though they were not those originally intended. That being the case, such bass woodwind instruments as contrabassooon were accepted, as would any garden bird such as those you suggest have been. Regarding the definition of a "classical" symphony", it will be noted that all of the questions begin with a capital letter, and in fact any housemate providing both a composer and a number was credited with the 2 marks.

BOC Brother has already asked for help from tMPers in devising challenges and forfeits, and if anyone would like to take up that offer, we shall be happy to pull their questions and answers to pieces as well ;)