Spectrum

R900

Our test piece for next year's area is Spectrum. Still a great piece of music, I love it.
Interesting that the bass trom part doesn't go below low C#, which I'm guessing was at the end of the G trom slide. I like the fact the part isn't dredging down into the pedals, which seems to be the case for most modern bass trom parts.

Vegasbound

Our test piece for next year's area is Spectrum. Still a great piece of music, I love it.
Interesting that the bass trom part doesn't go below low C#, which I'm guessing was at the end of the G trom slide. I like the fact the part isn't dredging down into the pedals, which seems to be the case for most modern bass trom parts.
Sounds about right

Stevieb

Good analogy and with Spectrum being written in 1969 probably correct. A very tough test for first section bands so good luck to you all.

MoominDave

Yeah, although by the time Vinter write it in 1969 the transition to Bb/F was well under way. But there were still plenty of Gs in use in that year, and Vinter was at the end of his life, so scoring for a G made sense.

His Salute to Youth of 1960 has an intriguing error on the bass trom low range front in the middle movement - one bar is written a tone too high, but goes to a written low D - so when it's corrected goes to a low C that wouldn't have been available.

maynas

Remember it well and the surprise and interest it generated as many older players at the time had hear nothing like it and took a while to acclimatIze. Hard to believe though it was 52 years ago. Younger members of the band like me just thought it was normal and liked it straight away. Great technical and musical challenge , people will enjoy playing it and its good to know Vinter’s music still gives on.

Product tMP members are discussing