SPAM

JessopSmythe

I seem to get more than my fair share of the stuff!
Some of the adverts are quite clever, then again, some are like this one.

Do they really expect anyone to fall for this?

Hello.
My name is Victoria. I am an advertising manager of the KARAVAN Co.
In connection with expansion of our business to us the agents in your country are required.
If you is interesting this information - ask to send us summary on
karavanco@****.** Or to fill on http://members.****.co.uk/****job4u
We necessarily shall answer to you.

I've beeped the email and website, not because they needed it but because most of the links/attachments in spam emails contain either viruses or trojans.

dyl

spamalert.gif

I'm with you JS - I've lost count of the amount of University Diplomas I've been mentioned, not to mention 'small blue tablets' and 'extensions'! ;)

bagpuss

The ones that amuse/annoy me the most are the spam emails you get that advertise anti - spam software!!!

My girlfriend keeps getting spam asking her if she wants something extended!!! Makes me laugh!!!

Puss

Okiedokie of Oz

the classic spam of the day is the Paris Hilton email...everyone claiming they know someone online who has a copy of the video.

uncle eric

morning all!

i seem to recall staying at the paris hilton in my younger days. they didn't have video cameras in thise days though!

regards

uncle eric

rutty

uncle eric said:
morning all!

i seem to recall staying at the paris hilton in my younger days. they didn't have video cameras in thise days though!

regards

uncle eric
If you've been in Paris Hilton, then you're one of a long list. Allegedly

;)

bigmamabadger

I get loads of spam offering me collagen injections. "Plump beautiful lips in minutes". Like I need them...I keep reorting the spam to Yahoo but there's a new one in there nearly every day. :x

A few weeks ago there was a letter to the Feedback pages of New Scientist extolling the virtues of spam, and claiming that a certain "extended" object was now 47 feet long. :shock:

Similar but completely different story about the gullibility of you humans: in our local rag some bloke has just been put away for scamming people by offering them cheap tobacco. He approached people in Tesco's carpark and told them to follow him. After walking about 1/2 a mile he would take their money, nip round the corner and disappear.
Spam and scam will work as long as people fall for it... :roll:
BMB

Lothianh

A couple of years ago the website SatireWire ran a poetry contest where the poems had to be composed from actual spam emails. The results were rather amusing - I would post the actual winner here but I'm afraid the ruthless moderators might not be happy with it, so instead I'll just provide links to the winner and to the runner-up.

Winner - "Enlarge Your Boss" - http://www.satirewire.com/features/poetry_spam/01strict_winner.shtml

Runner-Up - "Got Debt???" - http://www.satirewire.com/features/poetry_spam/01strict_runner.shtml

-Lothian

Accidental

Supporting Member
Luckily I don't seem to get too much spam - and most of what I do get is aimed at blokes, so they're not even getting their targets right!

I've been getting emails from "Roddy Trummpet" over the last few days, adverstising books on embouchure enhancement - is anyone else? I'm wondering whether its anything to do with my email being available on this site, or just a coincidence?

phillyphresh

I'm with Accidental. I just received an e-mail from RoddyTpt@aol.com which can only come from my joining themouthpiece.com, as the e-mail clearly states.

Is RoddyTpt a member on this thing, or does my joining this list mean I've just opened myself up for allowing more spam?

Any insight from tMP Team on this one?

By the way, the little blue pills are great especially since I "extended my member", I got my college degree in just 2 weeks, I've lost 75 pds. through hypnosis, I've quit smoking, I no longer go to the pharmacy to get my drugs, I've seen the "real" Paris Hilton & Pam Anderson/Tommy Lee video's, I've helped Duke Nze procure $5 million from the estate of Late Engineer Duncan Njei, updated my PayPal, eBay & Amazon credit card information so my account wasn't deleted AND most recently helped bring down the oil companies by boycotting a well known Canadian gasoline company.

PeterBale

Staff member
phillyphresh said:
I'm with Accidental. I just received an e-mail from RoddyTpt@aol.com which can only come from my joining themouthpiece.com, as the e-mail clearly states.

Is RoddyTpt a member on this thing, or does my joining this list mean I've just opened myself up for allowing more spam?

Any insight from tMP Team on this one?

RoddyTpt posts on here as Emb_Enh and references to his books can be found in various areas of the forum, including Trade Stands and User Reviews. This is just a personal reflection, not with my moderator's cap on, but such emails picking out people who are already involved in an area could be seen as "targetted marketting", rather than Spam, although it is something we are discussing at the moment.

Accidental

Supporting Member
PeterBale said:
such emails picking out people who are already involved in an area could be seen as "targetted marketting", rather than Spam, although it is something we are discussing at the moment.
If its unsolicited, unwanted and clogging up my inbox, then I see Spam! I feel quite strongly about this - imho its inappropriate for a tMPer to exploit members' personal info for commercial purposes.

JessopSmythe

what if each of tMP's 1500+ members sent Roddytpt an e-mail once a week advertising our own employers? would he still see that as a fair use of the information available?

phillyphresh

I can see both sides, spam vs. targetting marketing, I think that's why spammers are given such a hard time. They all think the people they're contacting are their "target market".

Really it's not a huge deal to hit the "delete" key, it's just another nuisance we've come to live with with the advent of the internet.

I for one appreciate tMP for looking into it, but if it can't be stopped, I won't be too put off by the whole ordeal.

Thanks!

phillyphresh

JessopSmythe said:
what if each of tMP's 1500+ members sent Roddytpt an e-mail once a week advertising our own employers? would he still see that as a fair use of the information available?

I actually set up one of my highly spammed e-mail addresses with an auto-responder letting the spammer know what I think of them.

However a) my mother was shocked as to where I came across such filthy language and b) I was notified by my ISP about several complaints of ME spamming people.

We're just going to have to face the facts that spammers have won.

Emb_Enh

I am very sorry that you class a one off email on a BRASS BOOK as SPAM.

You watch adverts on TV everyday and you can turn over [delete] or go put the kettle on. :D

I am a full time musician and make my living from playing/teaching/ writing books. If I don't advertise my family does'nt eat. We like to eat.

I would have thought that an email from a fellow brass player about brass related goods woulda been okay. If itr has offended you I'm truly sorry.

I have [I believe] contributed some valuable posts as a newbie to this forum, so it's not as if I'm just advertising as such.

Maybe it's cos I'm now a trumpeter -- however I started on cornet and still do play. [and flugel]

again - once more - apologies for the emails!

--at least I'm promising GROWTH...of the EMBOUCHURE kind that is! :lol: