Space the final frontier & music ideas

PeterBale

Staff member
Just read this thread again, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Thunderbirds" :!: There are also a couple of pieces by Patrick Moore with a space theme, but I don't know whether they are generally available.

Ste69

Neil Bowden said:
I also have another piece called ANOTHER WORLD which sounds very 'spacey' and has recently been performed by YBS.

Very good piece, its on our Winter concert programme - highly recommended (in my humble opinion anyway)

Dave Payn

How about John Cage's 4'33'' (Lots of 'space' in that..... ;-))

As for Thunderbirds, the best arrangement to my ears is the one that appears on the Fairey CD 'Skyliner' but I can't remember who arranged it. It's tricky but the most faithful to the Barry Gray original that I've heard.

IYOUNG

Just as an aside - doesn't anyone else think the first couple of bars of Divertimento Mov't 2 (March( remind of the Star Trek theme?

Perhaps its just me............

Dave Payn

IYOUNG said:
Just as an aside - doesn't anyone else think the first couple of bars of Divertimento Mov't 2 (March( remind of the Star Trek theme?

Perhaps its just me............

I take it you're talking about Bryan Kelly's Divertimento and yes, the the first three notes of the main theme of that movement (F, Bb, Eb at concert pitch) certainly had me thinking of Star Trek!

IYOUNG

Yes, Bryan Kelly's, glad you agree Dave, some strange looks and words of the Anorak variety most prominent when i mentioned it last night at rehearsal

Ian

Dave Payn

IYOUNG said:
Yes, Bryan Kelly's, glad you agree Dave, some strange looks and words of the Anorak variety most prominent when i mentioned it last night at rehearsal

Ian

Yeah, well, 'Dave Payn' and 'Anorak' go together like flies do to poop.... ;-)

GJG

Dave Payn said:
As for Thunderbirds, the best arrangement to my ears is the one that appears on the Fairey CD 'Skyliner' but I can't remember who arranged it. It's tricky but the most faithful to the Barry Gray original that I've heard.
Nice of you to say so, Dave; it's my arrangement, actually.

G.

Anonymous_user

Nadia
are you on this planet? Music of the Sphears is far too difficult for lower section bands. I listened to YBS play it in Birmingham and it sounded rock hard in places.

Molly

HBB

molly on the shore said:
Nadia
are you on this planet? Music of the Sphears is far too difficult for lower section bands. I listened to YBS play it in Birmingham and it sounded rock hard in places.

Molly
I think he was joking...

WhatSharp?

Stardust?

Or how about getting someone to arrange the Red Dwarf theme, or Babylon 5 (for those that know what that is).

Product tMP members are discussing