Soprano Solos

John Brooks

I don't believe there is a brass band arrangement of this made, let alone published, but I have an old recording of the Norad Band that includes an awesome trumpet solo called Lady Sings The Blues. It soars into the upper reaches and would be a superb vehicle for soprano. I believe it was a Billy Holiday standard.

Another tune worth looking at is Chuck Mangione's Bellavia which could also be arranged to feature the soprano.

More work for hubby Kerwintootle :?: :wink:

Brian Bowen

Re: Soprano solo's

fitzy said:
Thanks for all these guys! Keep the suggestions coming! Im writing them all down!
I don't care how hard they are or how high, I just want some great stuff to play with my band or in a solo contest.
Any budding (or established) composers out there who feel like writting a piece for sop and band, I would love to give it a go!
Sorry horn players but I'm getting tired of playing horn solo's! hehe

Thanks again,
Since you're almost pleading, :wink: I'll mention my own "Angel Voices", a rhapsody for soprano and band. Gordon Ward recorded it with the New York Staff Band on their Music Makers CD a few years ago. The music is scheduled to be published sometime by the SA in New York, so if you're interested, PM me.

John Brooks

Kerwintootle said:
:lol: Thanks for the tips. I'll try and have a listen to those songs.

I'll be happy to forward a copy of Lady Sings the Blues; I burned it onto CD and could email it if you like.

Best of luck this weekend. I'll be watching for the results and wishing I could be there :cry:

horn1

ScreamingSop said:
Hey Nichola!!!!
Dont start nicking all the sop solos again!! You've already nicked one! and not gonna let you do it again
KEPP ALL SOP SOLOS AWAY FROM NICHOLA!!!! :D :D

You're just jealous that I got to Demelza before you!! Hee Hee!! :D

P.S. learn to spell my name! :evil:

thats becuase i dont call you your name do i!!!! Mrs Demelza!!
I was thinking of playing Capricio Brilliante (Go on Nick that one off me!!!)
Ha ha :)

TIMBONE

sop solo

There is a soprano cornet piece on my website, "Highly Exalted". If you are looking for something light, then this is not it - serious stuff - imprsessive though.

For a brand new Soprano solo you could consider Alan Morrison's arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" inspired by the recording of Eva Cassidy. One of the finalists for the Fodens Richardson award for 'best new arrangement' this set comes complete with an Eb and a Bb soloist part and has just been released for sale. We are also hoping to be able to release the piano accompaniment version soon. (copyright permitting).

This is available from most reputable band dealers or online at our website www.crabtree-music.co.uk along with other soprano solo such as "Once Upon A Time in the West" arranged by Andy Duncan.

Many thanks and good luck in finding something you like,

horn1

ScreamingSop said:
thats becuase i dont call you your name do i!!!! Mrs Demelza!!
I was thinking of playing Capricio Brilliante (Go on Nick that one off me!!!)
Ha ha :)

I don't want to thank you very much!

Hi,

I played a solo last night that I'd not done before it's called 'Bring him home' and is from Les Miserables. Can't remember who arranged it but can find out. Quite nice!

nickjones

Aye few good arrangements of "bring him home" I think the sop solo might be Keith Wilkinson or G. Richards , but I know Bill connor has done a great band arrangement

sopranocornet

I played Bennett's Trumpet Voluntary at the French Open Gala concert last year. That went down well. It is on the latest CD of soprano solos from YBS.
Simon Oates, Thoresby

Debsop

One that hasn't been mentioned is the intermezzo from Cavaleria Rusticana ('scuse spelling). Denis Wright has an arrangement with excerpts from the Opera and you can just go from figure 10 - it went down very well with one adjudicator!!

On With the Motley is a show stopper (and I have known 1st section bands do it in contests). La Califfa's lovely but has very long rest in the middle so is more of a sop feature.

I'm looking for something very passionate and melodic if anyone has any ideas???

I've just played a new soprano solo. It's an arrangement of 'the closest thing to crazy' that was sung by Katie Melua. There's some lovely moments in there.

You can order it from www.musikverlag-frank.ch/

I would recommend it especially as it's new.