Soprano Solos

fitzy

Hi Debsop,
I just won the Australian Champion of Champions solo title with "Variations on a Welsh theme". Its the only tenor horn solo that I don't mind playing on sop and its a nice tune. You can do alot with it and it has nice band parts too.

the ox

new sop solo

What about "Remember Me"?
Its by Leigh Baker and recorded on Alan Morrison's new solo CD (as a lofty cornet solo in this case!).
It was in the last 8 entries for the Fodens Award and is Published by Prima Arts.

Catchy tune i think you'll find!

Offbeats

I played a fairly nice version of Over the Rainbow, arranged by Goff Richards, in the slow melody section at a solo comp recently. Its arranged for Eb horn. I played it on Bb cornet player. I think it sounded ok (i ended up winning), so perhaps it would also sound good on soprano...Can't imagine why not...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

persins

The winner has got to be Demelza! I love that one.
On with the Motley is pretty good too.
I wasn't so keen on Flowerdale but it is fairly reasonable.
Summertime is another gooddun.
If you ask some sop players though, every brass band piece is a sop solo with band accompaniment!!!

brassneck

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Mark Freeh's arrangement of Emmanuel (Michel Colombier). A very introspective feel about it and it's also played muted!

I would like to see Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You" written for sop.

Thirteen Ball

brassneck said:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Mark Freeh's arrangement of Emmanuel (Michel Colombier). A very introspective feel about it and it's also played muted!

Couldn't agree more. It's a beautiful piece. Heard Roger Webster play it on Bb cornet (extreme top register being no obstacle to him) and it was really atmospheric and quite eerie. Left a chill in the air when he'd finished. Fantastic piece.

Alan Morrison's "Live and let die" arrangement is a cracker as well. Again, he plays in on a Bb cornet but it's so high that soprano cornet is pretty much the most feasible option. Jason, our old sop player (now at Lindley) used to knock that out of the park on a regular basis. Audiences love it too, especially the full-on death-or-glory top C at the end!

Syrup

Thirteen Ball said:
Couldn't agree more. It's a beautiful piece. Heard Roger Webster play it on Bb cornet (extreme top register being no obstacle to him) and it was really atmospheric and quite eerie. Left a chill in the air when he'd finished. Fantastic piece.

Alan Morrison's "Live and let die" arrangement is a cracker as well. Again, he plays in on a Bb cornet but it's so high that soprano cornet is pretty much the most feasible option. Jason, our old sop player (now at Lindley) used to knock that out of the park on a regular basis. Audiences love it too, especially the full-on death-or-glory top C at the end!

I once heard Roger Webster play Emanuelle and it is an amazing piece.

As for Live & Let Die, this is my favourite sop solo. It is arranged by Ray Farr, Alan just played it on a Bb trumpet and transposed.

lucretia

persins said:
The winner has got to be Demelza! I love that one.
On with the Motley is pretty good too.
I wasn't so keen on Flowerdale but it is fairly reasonable.
Summertime is another gooddun.
If you ask some sop players though, every brass band piece is a sop solo with band accompaniment!!!
Oi! I'll remember that....

Demelza is good, and Live and Let Die is a favourite of mine to play - it feels good to tank out that last note! Flowerdale is nice but a bit of a killer stamina-wise compared to other solos out there.

lausonbass

sorry can't bothered to read through all all of the posts there are so many, but has anyone suggested Bilitis, our sop plays it and it's beautiful

DaveR

lausonbass said:
sorry can't bothered to read through all all of the posts there are so many, but has anyone suggested Bilitis, our sop plays it and it's beautiful

It is, the name just sounds like a painful disease :icon_cheesygrin:

daveredhead

craigyboy1 said:
Try sending Kerwintootle a pm. Soprano player with Scotish Coop, British Solo champion and Spenymoor Solo prize winner.
You couldn't ask anyone better :wink:

Some of the solos mentioned are a bit low i find for sop, ie send in the clowns,But Gethsemanie is great, also Flowerdale is very playable, there is Trumpet Voluntry, (John Bennet app 1665)I would also like to get my hands on the one from Ground Force. The Titchmarsh Warbler, by Jim Parker, (dont know whethr it is on general release, I have just got the sop part for Escapade, Joseph Turrin, but only to try at home, but a cracking sop solo. Good Luck:icon_biggrin:

Product tMP members are discussing