Sop Headaches

Trog's

Sop players are mad.

Our sop player at Freck, kept going dizzy when playing, Turned out he had a brain hemorage due to sop playin! Had to stop.

Thats a happy thought for you all!

ratley

Just to add to Mr Mustard's advice, I used to sit next to a great sop player who lifted his right knee slowly each time he had to hit a toppie - it seemed to work for him!

If anyone used to play for Hanwell - I'm talking about Beyonce's dad...

Kay

Dave Payn

ratley said:
Just to add to Mr Mustard's advice, I used to sit next to a great sop player who lifted his right knee slowly each time he had to hit a toppie - it seemed to work for him!

If anyone used to play for Hanwell - I'm talking about Beyonce's dad...

Kay

Perhaps this 'knee jerk' reaction indicated he was letting some air out to relieve the pressure! ;-) :lol:

Re: Sop players are mad.

Trog's said:
Our sop player at Freck, kept going dizzy when playing, Turned out he had a brain hemorage due to sop playin! Had to stop.

Thats a happy thought for you all!

:shock:

I blacked out the other night but I put it down to an adverse reaction to antibiotics and not my ultimate pressure method. :wink:

skweeky

I used to get them when i played on a shallow mouthpiece but now i changed to a Wick mp, my embochure has opened up a bit and the pressure doesnt build up (as much)

I think that soppy players should start wearing strapping around their jaws and rubbing balm into their gums before playing. You could also try tight head gear to stop your noggin from expanding/exploding too frequently :p :p :p :p :p :p

skweeky said:
I used to get them when i played on a shallow mouthpiece but now i changed to a Wick mp, my embochure has opened up a bit and the pressure doesnt build up (as much)

I don't agree with that. I play trumpet on a really shallow mouthpiece and i can scream super f's and g's withuot any pressure on my head. its too easy with a shallow mouthpiece. i find it gives a crap sound but its awesome 4 screamers. :D

skweeky

maybe it was just the fact that i was getting better. And being better let me use a deeper mouthpiece. I really dont know :lol: i was just guessing :)

JANUARYMAN

I will have words with Mr Smedley on Friday. He didn't pass out once in our sectional the lasy git!!

Cheers,

Hepworth 2nd cornet for a bit,
Hepworth Rep for a bit,
Hepworth 2nd man for a bit,
Hepworth 3rd man til I die!

WhatSharp?

skweeky said:
maybe it was just the fact that i was getting better. And being better let me use a deeper mouthpiece. I really dont know :lol: i was just guessing :)

I think it's more to do with what suits the individual, I've known sop players who swear by the shallowest they can get, others (like myself) prefer a much deeper cup (Warburton 4D).

Heppy

I will have words with Mr Smedley on Friday. He didn't pass out once in our sectional the lasy git!!

Cheers,

Hepworth 2nd cornet for a bit,
Hepworth Rep for a bit,
Hepworth 2nd man for a bit,
Hepworth 3rd man til I die!

Words? That sounds like a monday night phone call to me january?!

As you will have read earlier on in this thread, every sop player gets the light headed business. If Kerwintootle feels rough after the odd top C, then us mortals are going to get it too. Fact is, even the best in the job cant stop it. So, take it like a man and if you feel a bit dodgy at the end of a piece..... well so what, you chose to sit in the seat! Eight pints of Stella after rehearsal generally sorts my head out. In fact sod mouthpieces, just drink loads of Stella!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.