Solos - what do you expect to hear?

Brian Bowen

What do you expect to hear? The Carnival of Venice of course! Is that what I want to hear? NO! Why do soloists trot it out repeatedly in concerts, CDs and broadcasts? It's been played since the year dot in umpteen versions. And isn't it time Share My Yoke were given a little break before it's run into the ground? With so much unimaginative repetition, non-brass band folk might be forgiven for thinking there's a dearth of material available to band soloists.

I find it really hard to believe that someone could possibly question the artistic sense of people like Webster, Lingard, McCann or even more bafflingly so Peter Roberts.

Where's your solo CD beard?, or was it too virtuosic to be considered for commercial release? :wink:

BTW - I found the comments about off-beat horn parts very amusing, well done :D :D :D

drummerboy

Australian Euphonium said:
Where's your solo CD beard?, or was it too virtuosic to be considered for commercial release? :wink:

Well, it only had one track on it (no prizes for guessing what that was!) :p :wink:

cornetgirl

I must admit that I don't particularly like the virtuoso stuff - I much prefer to hear a slow melody played well with control, musicality and a sense of "feeling" than a collection of notes grouped together to show off how fast you can play! Pyrotechnics are all very well - but leave that to the true exponents of them ie the great players. Give me slow melodies any day!

Rach x

iggmeister

Cantonian said:
Knowing Beard-4b as I do, and to put his points into perspective I ask him, "Is it difficult to play the cornet with a tongue in cheek?"

Well he does a good job of arguing with his head up his jacksy!

Absolutely amazed by the comments made that slow melody playing is easy.

Igg

Accidental

Supporting Member
And I'm absolutely amazed by how nasty this is all getting! :shock:

It all comes down to two things - personal choice, and personal opinions. The world would be a very dull place if we all agreed all the time! FWIW, I would much rather hear a beautifully played slow, lyrical solo than a load of pyrotechnics, but I do agree with Brian that it would be good to hear a different repertoire for a change.

Now, play nicely boys.... :wink:

grandfilth

beard_4b:

It is harder to play a slow melody than a virtuosic piece!FACT!!to have the conrol, sound, intonation, and overall style, to make a slow melody sound class, then you have something which simply cannot be taught.Anyone can be taught to play loads of fast notes in the right order if they practice enough. It is for this reason that the aforementioned cornet players play where they do, they simply have class!

Also nice to see you challenging convention with your opinions! You're obviously completely correct flugals have to play slow melodies, cornets have to play fast....

O and one last thing, if sali army bands are soooo much better than normal bands, why is the most famous band in the world not sali army?

KWiper

beard_4b said:
When I pay to go to a concert I pay to see virtuoso soloists not to hear them play slow melodies which I use as warm ups! :wink:

Why ???

If you are fortunate enough to be at a concert featuring 'The Master' of the Bb cornet (Roger Webster) then why would you be disappointed to hear a slow melody ? A musical rendition of a slow lyrical melody takes so much more effort and control that thrashing your way through an air-varie or some other such '100 notes a minute' piece.

You say that you 'use these pieces as a warm up' Fair enough - But it is a completely different ball game playing a slow melody in your Bedroom/bandrom as a warm up than playing one stood up infront of an audience of several hundred.
Anyway good luck on your Virtuosic CD release - Which I'm sure will be a best seller.

Heppy

Does this mean my La Califfa beats your Carnival of Venice on the CD? I'm already better than you at pool anyway :wink:

beard_4b. Well what can I say? *beep*!

Heppy

eckyboy

I admire all solos played on stage and have to admit I would prefer to play a fast one as compared to a slow melody as the general public(no disrespect) dont notice when I mispitch etc on a fast solo but it sticks out like a sore thumb on a slow melody.Thankfully I dont play solos anymore.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Accidental said:
It all comes down to two things - personal choice, and personal opinions.

Now, play nicely boys.... :wink:

NEWSFLASH!
Its ok to disagree sometimes guys.

Honestly, sometimes you lot get bitchier than a bunch of high school girls! :roll: :lol:

beard_4b

Heppy said:
Does this mean my La Califfa beats your Carnival of Venice on the CD? I'm already better than you at pool anyway :wink:

beard_4b. Well what can I say? *beep*!

Heppy

I didn't say that!

beard_4b

grandfilth said:
Also nice to see you challenging convention with your opinions! You're obviously completely correct flugals have to play slow melodies, cornets have to play fast....

Thats right! :lol:

lynchie

I'm not going to get involved... I'm sure as long as trombone players play nothing but Bluebells and the Acrobat, everything will be ok...

Maestro

lynchie said:
I'm not going to get involved... I'm sure as long as trombone players play nothing but Bluebells and the Acrobat, everything will be ok...

Surely you can now add Golden Slippers to that list Lynchie :p :lol: :twisted: :D

ScrapingtheBottom

Some of the hardest solos to play are often slow (and often vocal lines). If you've ever heard a truely great player playing a vocal line solo you can almost hear the words. Things like Carnival of Venice show off great finger flapping technique, but for real musicianship (ie style, phrasing, tone) you have to go for the slow melodies. Anyway I've heard trombonists play the carnival of venice so it can't be that tough!!!! :shock:

Despot

Can I be really contraversial and say I like to hear both, and to do either PROPERLY requires skill?

I've heard enough players who seem to think playing a virtuoso solo means rattling the valves as fast as you can , and slow melodies are about closing your eyes and looking constipated...

At a concert it's good to see both! All things in moderation! :D

ScrapingtheBottom

lynchie said:

I have to play "Somewhere over the rainbow" with outrageous cheesy lip glisses.

lynchie

ScrapingtheBottom said:
lynchie said:

hardly surprising... there seems to be no need for a trombone solo without a high cheese rating... :roll:

it is possible to play a nice slow melody on a trombone... honest!

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
ScrapingtheBottom said:
lynchie said:

hardly surprising... there seems to be no need for a trombone solo without a high cheese rating... :roll:

it is possible to play a nice slow melody on a trombone... honest!

John Iveson's arrangement of Londonderry Air is (to my ears) pretty good. It was originally arranged for PJBE. Don't know if a BB version's been done.

Product tMP members are discussing