Smoking!!!

Do you smoke?

• Total voters

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Steady on folks.... lets not get over-heated here eh!

We all know this subject is a contentious issue, so let's do a Dave Brubek and take 5 - resepct each others opinions eh.

I'll leave the thread open for a little while and we'll see how it progresses but it will be locked/deleted if anyone is starting to get offended or offensive!...

John

rutty

A bit of a flame war always adds a bit of interest to a forum John ;)

At least they haven't started swearing at each other yet. Still, as a family-friendly forum it'd be best to take it to MSN Messenger or into the car park.

This subject has stirred emotions on more than one forum. No doubt it'll do the same on a few others

TheMusicMan said:
Steady on folks.... lets not get over-heated here eh!

We all know this subject is a contentious issue, so let's do a Dave Brubek and take 5 - resepct each others opinions eh.

I'll leave the thread open for a little while and we'll see how it progresses but it will be locked/deleted if anyone is starting to get offended or offensive!...

John
I would much prefer this thread to be closed at this point. Unfortunately it has got completely out of hand and it appears that people haven't been permitted to have their opinion without getting completely slated. As it was stated right at the very beginning (by moi) it is a contentious issue and it's interesting to read each and every opinion (of course they are bound to differ) - but don't turn it into a battle ground. I think my view was to respect all opinions as they are subjective and not objective. I'm sure that we're all sensible adults and need to act in that manner. If a debate can't ocurr in a non-offensive manner than it shouldn't be allowed to continue.

bagpuss

No need to lock it or delete it Music Man, I've had my say and seem to have been shouted down at every turn. I won't be posting to the thread again unless provoked.

Just to clear up a few points. I AM a smoker, I DO respect the wishes of non smokers but I expect them to do the same for smokers. Don't have a go about me smoking and I won't have a go about you drinking too much or driving badly.

Neil, I didn't specifically refer to you in any of my post I was using 'you' as a generic term to refer to anti smokers.

Kari, I don't think the debate has continued in an offensive manner, no one has been directly targeted and no one has been specifically verbally abused. Obviously if you or anyone feels that this has happend and that I have been the cause then I apologise. As far as I am concerned, I have merely been expressing an opinion that I feel strongly about, as I'm sure does everyone else. Just because my views do not fall into lign with everyone elses, does not mean they are wrong.

Darren

bagpuss said:
No need to lock it or delete it Music Man, I've had my say and seem to have been shouted down at every turn. I won't be posting to the thread again unless provoked.

Just to clear up a few points. I AM a smoker, I DO respect the wishes of non smokers but I expect them to do the same for smokers. Don't have a go about me smoking and I won't have a go about you drinking too much or driving badly.

Neil, I didn't specifically refer to you in any of my post I was using 'you' as a generic term to refer to anti smokers.

Kari, I don't think the debate has continued in an offensive manner, no one has been directly targeted and no one has been specifically verbally abused. Obviously if you or anyone feels that this has happend and that I have been the cause then I apologise. As far as I am concerned, I have merely been expressing an opinion that I feel strongly about, as I'm sure does everyone else. Just because my views do not fall into lign with everyone elses, does not mean they are wrong.

Darren
See you just can't leave it alone, can you? You've rehitored your point countless times and we get your point - you're a smoker and wish to be left alone by non smokers, if that's the case then stop provoking them! This is why I think the post ought to be locked.

neiltwist

I'd just like to say that I am not offended by anything that has been said here, and think it has been an insight into how arguments work.

Keppler

Staff member
This is going nowhere. I am hesitant to lock the thread, as there yet may be someone with something to add to it.
However, endless finger pointing and going around in circles just makes Jack a stressed boy (without pointing any fingers)

Thank you everyone for your opinions on this one. However, let's try to add something new to this debate, or else leave it alone

picju96

JessopSmythe said:
Incidentally, new research out today shows that nicotine can help prevent alzheimers.
Wow biology A-level is becoming useful, that's because in Alzheimer's the release of neurotransmitter stops, stopping impulses getting to the brain, therefore people forget things etc etc (its a lot more indepth than that) but the nicotine molecule is a very similar shape to the neurotransmitter molecule, and that sets off the impulses to the brain instead of the neurotransmitter, therefore not halting the action potentials, and helping prevent Alzheimer's. Phew!

Also that's why smokers get the initial high after/during a cigarette, because the frequency of action potentials generated is temporarily increased

JEZ@LADSB

Smoking and health

As a registered nurse I have seen what smoking can do not only to the lungs but to other organs of the body. It contributes to bowel and bladder cancers, blocked arteries and veinsand heart disease to name but a few. I like to have clear lungs in order to enjoy the best hobby in the world 'Banding'.

JessopSmythe

I think that with the current anti-smoking attitude, all but the thickest skinned smokers are becoming more sensitive to non smokers and their wishes. I won't even smoke in my own house when my 2 year old niece comes to visit but I will lose my temper with people who, in a pub with clearly marked smoking/non smoking areas stand next to a smoker in a designated smoking area and complain

frisp

I stopped smoking about four weeks ago. This was after twenty years (the last ten were at least forty a day). I was actually looking for an excuse to bring up stopping smoking when this thread came along.

For anyone smoking and even half thinking about stopping- buy Allen Carr's Easy Way. It's about £8 at any big book shop and I stopped dead (I'd spent about £25K on fags) after reading it.

Bagpuss, I know exactly how you feel. Your threads could have been me speaking six weeks ago (my mug at work (still) bears the legend 'Smoking is my personal choice so fcku off'). You're right as well, it's not threats about your health that stop you, or money or all the usual reasons. Unfortunately, and I'm not trying to wind you up, it's your defense mechanisms talking!!

On the other side, we non-smokers could do with being a little more tolerant!! Smokers pay an immense amount towards our health care, passive smoking must be an irritant more than a real health risk (otherwise the smokers really are being shafted, paying all that money for us to get cancer) and cigarettes really are a demoralising addiction (despite what your happy smoker will tell you!).

And just because it's so long since I've posted:-

Bagpuss was sat with a cig
Wond'ring why others thought him a pig
He thought quite aloud
'Just what's wrong with this crowd'
It's my choice so "why give a fig?"

or (the other side):-

Smoking is swell you'll agree
I look big and rough-ty, tough-teee,
They may make me cough
' Least I spend like a toff
And I'm saving you on V. A. Teeeeeeeeeeeeeee :roll:

jinx

just wanted to say congrats to anyone who has given up smoking, must be one of the hardest things to do, however I just wanted to point out that passive smoking is a known health risk rather than just an irritant, as many people working in the lung cancer field, and specifically at the Roy Castle research centre in Liverpool are working extremely hard to remedy. Then again, unless the government start following the american example of banning smoking everywhere, us non smokers just have to find it in ourselves to be tolerant.

geordiecolin

Woah, people!

As the creator of this thread, i think it is time i added my tuppence's worth.

When i created this thread, i was looking to continue a discussion that took place on Whit Friday. I felt that the issues were wide ranging and deserved to be opened to all of themouthpiece.com, hence me just writing the initial post and just watching which direction it took.

As it happens, for better or for worse, it hasn't quite gone where i intended, mainly due to me not really outlining the disscusion properly.

I wasn't really aiming for a pro/anti smoking standoff, i was more looking for reasons as to WHY smoking appears to be prevelent in brass bands. i know my old band had a high proportion of smokers and i know many brass musisicians who smoke as well. Is the smoking related to the industrial heritages of bands, and if so, why are they related?

I feel that this is where this discussion should go, and i think this is the twist Keppler was looking for prior to locking the thread. I would be most dissapointed if one of the few threads i have started was locked within a week!!

So, lets drop the anti/pro smoking arguments, i think we all know the arguments and that there will always be tensions between the two groups. Just agree to disagree and lets try and move this topic onto the reasons WHY smoking is so prevelent in banding...........

JessopSmythe

I wouldn't say that smoking is any more prevalent in bands than anywhere else. A certain percentage (if our poll is any indication about 15-20) of the population smokes so the odds are you'll find a similar percentage of smokers in any group of people.

Well Wem has a higher than average percentage. To my knowledge there are 9 'open smokers', which is approximately a third of the band making is 33.3%, include the closet ones and it takes it even higher. You have to bear in mind that this poll only records the results of people who submit their vote - maybe it's not a true representation of actual smokers.

groovy

Our band has several smokers, but it isn't a big issue, and they always smoke outdoors.

What I think is sad is that I know several people that have been smoking since they were 12 and are addicted. A high number of people at my school smoke, and I think they are too young to waste their health and money. That doesn't go against smoking in general, I don't mind smoking, but I think to be addicted to something at the age of 14 is way too young.

Despot

We'll we've only one smoker in our band currently, but I think he makes up for the rest of us! Very bad chain smoker!

PeterBale

Staff member
As I am currently only playing in a Salvation Army band, we have no smokers (or drinkers). I would make one observation on this topic: when I first became involved in banding in the 1970's it was normal at the end of practice for a substantial number of the band then to adjourn to the local pub, as I am sure still occurs. At that time, however, drinking and smoking seemed to go very much hand in hand, with smoking being much more common than it is today - you only have to look at contemporary episodes of TV programmes.

MoominDave

groovy said:
That doesn't go against smoking in general, I don't mind smoking, but I think to be addicted to something at the age of 14 is way too young.
I can't think of any age at which it is desirable to be addicted to something!

Dave