Smoking Ban.

winterman

Our local experienced a novel first on Friday night (DJ/club style night).

I think it is the first time ever that people have been kicked BACK IN TO the pub for being rowdy! :D

Normally you get kicked out of the pub, but nope.. this time they were dragged inside as they were making too much noise outside after 11:30pm.. lol

MissBraz

haha! Winterman above me! That happened to us as well! We was singing "build me up buttercup" and we got told off by the bouncers and was told to either move on or move back in before they loose their liscence because of us haha!
Anyway... we moved onto the nightclub after and people were actually allowed to smoke on the balcony outside. Which confuses me a little bit because also in our weatherspoons people were allowed to smoke outside in the courtyard. I thought that smokers had to be several metres (or whatever it maybe) away from the premises? But hey doesnt bother me! :D

Texus

My local has really been hit hard due to the ban.
Landlord reckons that 80% + of regulars are smokers and the main spenders, and that people are staying away. Only a matter of time before profits become unsustainable....

NeilW

Having the smokers outside is great for telling what the weather is doing:

If they come back wet - its raining
If they come back hot and red - its sunny
If they come back white - its snowing
If they don't come back - its foggy and they've got lost

My wife works in a hospital and there they've banned smoking on Trust premeses. Its a fair walk off to get off Trust property. They HAVE recently relented a little and allowed people to smoke in their own cars in the car park - for now!

Have we all put the A5 "no smoking" signs up in our bandrooms by the doors? Our chairman isn't convinced we need to - but I think we do and its expensive to get fined!

Neil.

Griffin

Having the smokers outside is great for telling what the weather is doing:

If they come back wet - its raining
If they come back hot and red - its sunny
If they come back white - its snowing
If they don't come back - its foggy and they've got lost

what kind of pub have you been goin in?
one with no windows?

PeterBale

Staff member
what kind of pub have you been goin in?
one with no windows?

I think Neil's referring to a work setting, rather than a pub - I know once my staff get upstairs to their particular area of the office they are totally oblivious to the weather, hence their frustration when they have to go back upstairs for an umbrella due to torrential rain etc :eek:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
You mean your profits from running tMP don't allow you to run a private jet, John? :biggrin:
Contender for funniest post of the year Will... :) you gotta be kiddin me... the net balance is still waaaaaay negative. I pay out a lot more than I get in I can assure ya.;)

nook1938

Supporting Member
Article in Newspaper quote: Smokeless boozers are scent to try us.

This chap goes on to say that he walked into his local and found all the bar staff puce-faced, balking and in need of fresh air, because of body odour, stale ale and all the other smell that used to be covered by cig smoke and he see's the ale houses going to the wall unless breweries start taking out a weekly contract with a cleaning company to carry out a top to bottom clean. He finishes his article with a plea to bring back a designated area for smoking in pubs because he is sufering from passive: nausea/aggression/dyslexia/fascism, Every ailment is a far more harrowing compliant than waking the next day with a smelly jumper.

Anyone who reads the Mirrror will find the said article on Page 23, Thusday the 12th of July.

Steve S

Article in Newspaper quote: Smokeless boozers are scent to try us.

This chap goes on to say that he walked into his local and found all the bar staff puce-faced, balking and in need of fresh air, because of body odour, stale ale and all the other smell that used to be covered by cig smoke and he see's the ale houses going to the wall unless breweries start taking out a weekly contract with a cleaning company to carry out a top to bottom clean. He finishes his article with a plea to bring back a designated area for smoking in pubs because he is sufering from passive: nausea/aggression/dyslexia/fascism, Every ailment is a far more harrowing compliant than waking the next day with a smelly jumper.

Anyone who reads the Mirrror will find the said article on Page 23, Thusday the 12th of July.

Agree with all the above but........

My local The Bon Accord smells awful now!!!:guiness
But it always did so thats life.:oops:
If you want to smoke just go outside.
I do and it's fine.
In Scotland we've had it for a year and no one has died!!
Really not a big deal!!!:-?
I think the smoking ban is a good thing.
I know it's not easy for some people but I'll see you outside for a chat!
Smirting is a great passtime, believe me!:clap:

Morghoven

Interesting this one, I was waiting for this idea to rear it's head. The question is where do you draw the line? You could say - if you don't want something to fall on your head - don't work on a building site! or if you are disabled - get a job on the ground floor. The thing is it IS an emloyer's responsibility to ensure there are healthy working conditions for the staff and you simply can't say - if you don't like it, don't work here.

No, but you can say "this is part of the job", and working in a pub meant alcohol and smoke was part of the job. It's more like saying if you can't stand heights then don't work reparing roofs - and frankly, bringing the DDA into it is just muddying the waters because there isn't the same choice issue there.

This is just the thin end of the wedge. Using the logic that everyone should have a right to work in a pub even if they don't like what happens there, how long before a pub is forced to employ somebody who objects to serving alcohol? And before you say "but that's ridiculous", it's exactly the same principle...

tpcornet12

No, but you can say "this is part of the job", and working in a pub meant alcohol and smoke was part of the job. It's more like saying if you can't stand heights then don't work reparing roofs - and frankly, bringing the DDA into it is just muddying the waters because there isn't the same choice issue there.

This is just the thin end of the wedge. Using the logic that everyone should have a right to work in a pub even if they don't like what happens there, how long before a pub is forced to employ somebody who objects to serving alcohol? And before you say "but that's ridiculous", it's exactly the same principle...

But serving alcohol doesn't affect your health!

Not everyone that works in a pub is doing it for pocket money and how many jobs offer those kind of hours. Some but not many. For a lot of people I'm sure - working in a pub is vital to provide for their family. Why shouldn't they be able to work there without damaging their health? I'm not talking about what they like/dislike or what they prefer. And there is a priciple similar to the DDA and other employment law... I remember the statement "that's part of the job" when discussing sexism in the workplace - I heard someone senior say "it's a man's world here, if you want to work here you'll have to get used to it - it's part of the job" Not the same thing but it IS the same principle.

nook1938

Supporting Member
So it should. Why didn't it then?

Loss of revenue, puplic opinion, as if they care what the puplic think or want.

Who know's what they will come up with next, but money will talk somewhere.

This Smoking Ban as certainly made people think of giving up, and by the look on the shelves at Boot's, they have got anythink you need to help you, at a price.

Is anyone working in a Office etc and the staff troop out for a smoke, the question is: how long and how many times a day can you go out for a smoke?

SuperMosh

Is anyone working in a Office etc and the staff troop out for a smoke, the question is: how long and how many times a day can you go out for a smoke?

Most places now enforce a non smoking in work's time anyway.

As for not listening to the public, isn't this ban stemming from public pressure? Left to it, the Government would have happily allowed people to smoke, and continue to buy cigarettes with a 60% tax levy on each pack.

Griffin

since the smoking ban our local has had to cut the hours of bar staff
doesn't seem to be as many people frequenting the pub

could be coincidence? I don't know

robcav

Even as a smoker myself, I support the ban but am a little narked that there are still certain institutions and properties, largely owned by Her Majesty, which are above the law and therefore not subject to it. The House of Commons bar might be one such! And of course the notion that a prisoner, in whichever HM prison, can continue to smoke, since there is also the issue of what one defines as one's domicile and what is a public place, is rather irksome. I'll be interested to see how the ban on smoking in psyche units goes down when it's finally enforced in July of next year.

brassneck

One thing up here in Scotland where I live there is something that is a little irritating. Some clubs are using fire-exits for smokers to light up. Not very convenient if there has to be an evacuation ... the poor souls would get trampled on!

I'm glad the ban is in. I remember being appalled/extremely annoyed at St Michael's hospital in Bristol when my 2 day old son was recovering from an emergency life-saving operation and some selfish gits were smoking outside the windows of the Special Care Baby Unit!!

Haven't had much time for smokers ever since then!

Griffin

was discussing it today.. the fact that come winter time especially, the amount of patio heaters used is surely going to have an impact on the ozone/air pollution

so instead of smokers dying younger.. the whole world is gonna run outta gas quicker!